Marks of Valor and Heroic Adventures

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Jmac, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Jmac Elder

Are the marks of valor the only way to purchase Rk2 spells or are the named mobs dropping turn in items also?

I did a Heroic Adventure last night boxing with my shaman and we each got 120 marks and it took me about 2 hours to complete the adventure. The HA wasn't bad, just super boring because it took so long to kill all the trash mobs. I also wasted about 10 minutes running around thinking there was something else I had to do after I completed the HA because the reward window didn't pop up showing that I had completed the event like it has with other quests/missions in the past. It wasn't until I was scrolling through my chat box that I realized I had been given the marks and the task was done.

I also read that named mobs have a chance to spawn in the HA's. Does anyone know if they spawn when the instance is started or do they spawn from a trash mob you kill?
  2. Axxius Augur

Named mobs (and mission chests?) have a chance to drop (seemingly random) rk2 spells. I killed a few named yesterday, and 2 of them dropped spells in addition to items.

Named mobs in HA instances spawn after completing some steps (probably at the same time as the task locks). If they spawned right at the start, that would be too easy, wouldn't it? ;)
  3. CaptAmazing Augur

I found the HA lame. It took two hours and got me no loot. At that rate it will take six run just to get one spell. What was the point of these again? The rewards really stink.
    This expansion is not worth the price.
  4. Axxius Augur

And you are going to complain about that? :eek:
  5. CaptAmazing Augur

Y
    Yeah. Run six mission for a spell. There no other loot coming from these. 6 missions for just a spell. That's fair RvR? How this, go run six raids and have nothing drop but six spells. Tell me, how many nano seconds it would be before raiders were complaining.
  6. Jmac Elder

I was disappointed with not getting any loot either since I am so used to the mission style run and getting a chest at the end, but it seems that the HA's are replacing the mercenary quest lines, which never gave much of a reward individually anyways.

And I was wondering about the named mobs that have a chance to spawn to know if I need to clear all of the mobs in the instance for the chance to spawn one or if they can spawn from the mobs you are required to kill for the quest. I haven't thought about one spawning after a task completion but that does make sense if it works that way.
  7. Famka Elder

After a couple of steps completed in the mission, the named or a placeholder will spawn. So after you finished the whole mission and didn't see a named along the way, you can go look if it spawned. There's no mobs you need to kill to make it spawn.
  8. Axxius Augur

Wow. The player base has degraded that much since SOE switched its focus from hardcore to casual players? :oops: Told you, SOE: no matter how easy you make the game, they will ALWAYS complain no matter what. Even if you give them an instant-loot button, they will still complain that it takes an effort to press.

Six missions to get 1 spell you need was considered a good deal just 2 expansions ago when each mission would drop 1 rune. In 6 missions each person in a 6-player group would get a rune but not necessarily the one they wanted. And in older times, getting your spell in just 6 runs of something that takes 30-45 min would be considered a fantastic deal.

As far as raids go:
    • You can only repeat a raid in 5 days (in practice 7 days; nobody changes their schedule every week).
    • CotF raids drop 4-5 items and award 10 currency per raid. Vendor prices start at 125 currency and up. You can buy 1 item every 13-15 raids, and 6 raids drop average 27 items, i.e. you earn 0.5 of an item as direct loot. After 13-15 raids you buy 1 item from the vendor and get 1 item awarded as loot, on average. So that's pretty much the same as 6 raids for 1 item.
    You can do 6 HA missions in 6 hr easily on any day. And then do 6 more next day, etc. There are only 4 raids, and you can do them once a week. And don't even start about RvR.
    dimtekt, Fenthen and Bauer like this.
  9. Uxtalzon Augur

I remember grinding one LDoN after another for that +40 hp augment that fit in my chest slot. I think it was 700+ and some change points, when the max points you got was like ~120.

Get DPS classes to go with and you'll blaze through some instances in 45 minutes or less.

"Give a man a gold piece, and he'll complain about how much it weighs."
    Axxius and Bauer like this.
  10. Caudyr Augur

The thing is...unless it's changed from beta to live (i don't have the expansion, so I can't confirm this, heh)...then there's gear and stuff available for Marks of Valor as well. It's not just rank 2's...so...*shrugs*
  11. CaptAmazing Augur

Did anything else drop while you were doing those? Yep.
  12. Caudyr Augur

There are named in HAs just like there were in LDoNs...they have a chance to spawn after you get past a specific task step in the task (either them or their PH spawns).

I'm pretty sure the PH/named spawns around the same time that the collection items will show up in an instance, at the very least.
  13. Jmac Elder

Okay, cool, thanks for the info!
  14. Uxtalzon Augur

Err, which? LDoN or heroic adventures?'

But I agree that repetitive grinds are not fun. At least they made them tasks.
  15. Rainbowdash Augur

HA tasks never lock. At the very least not after named pop. Have Task Added someone for named loot before.

Makes perfect since honestly, if the only nameds in those two zones are going to be in the missions (which is the case) they may as well not prevent people from task adding for rotting loot.
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

They do lock, or at least some of them do, I've seen the message.
    The first 3 HA my group did each had a named spawn and drop 2 pieces of gear: 1 visible and 1 non-visible. One of them also dropped a spell. The next 2 HAs had no named. The one after that had TWO named that each dropped 1 non-visible item.

To the OP: It's the RNG, and you got a bad roll. Suck it up and do some more until you get what you want.
  17. Caudyr Augur

It's no different than camping named in regular zones in this case...except you may have longer between kills in some cases (because, y'know, time needed to finish HAs).

There's probably always the option of going until named spawn...and then dropping and regetting if no named...but you won't get Marks of Valor that way~ :p
  18. Nightops Augur

I have never understood why people get soo wound up over rank 2 or rank 3 spells/tomes. I can understand casters with nukes as its like their weapon upgrades, but most are rather trivial upgrades.

Its only been 2 days and the OP is acting like the world has ended because he has to do 6 missions to get currency for one rk2 spell. He must not have played back in the days when rank2 spells actually dropped as rare loot and you didnt get the choice of which one you wanted. You could kill for days and only see beastlord and druid spells.

Add to the fact this expansion only has a few spells per class and there is absolutely no reason to complain about the time required to purchase a spell or the rarity of the drops. Having less then 1/4 of the normal amount of spells per class, I would expect to see spells drop at less then 1/4 of previous amounts from named mobs and chests. Which ironically, thats about their drop rate right now. Go Figure...
    Bauer likes this.
  19. Jmac Elder

Nightops, might want to reread my post, I wasn't complaining about anything or acting like it was the end of the world. I was simply asking questions to find out more specifics about the rk2 spells and how the named mobs spawn. I did state how long the HA took me and how much currency I got but I didn't say anything other than I thought the one I did was boring. And I did play back in the day when rk2's dropped like that and it was all random, not cool to bash someone over simply asking some questions to gain more insite on the current xpac, thanks for the useless post.
  20. Nightops Augur

Sorry, I did confuse you being the OP with another person ranting about spells on your thread. I would try to edit it to make the change, but the post is locked now.

But had I named the person correctly, my post would have been accurate towards them.