March 2016 Preview

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by ~Mills~, Jan 22, 2017.

1. YellowBelly Augur

Why not just leave necro dots alone? This can only end up bad for us.
  2. Sindaiann Augur

I have saw you say this a few times and I have to stop and correct you now. The mana return on Mind Storm is crap now. Did it used to be great? Yes when the 5.8% return was not capped. Now its just max per hit return of 1171 per tick. Previously it was such that prior to damage changes we only used it for the mana return, then once the damage increase changed, the cap per hit never functioned and the mana return was insane. Now it works as follows.

[45027/6630] Mind Storm Rk. III
    Classes: ENC/105
    Skill: Alteration
    Mana: 9370
    Target: Single
    Range: 200'
    Resist: Lowest -30
    Stacking: Mind Shatter 22
    Focusable: Yes
    Trigger Spell DS: Yes
    Reflectable: Yes
    Casting: 3s, Recast: 1.5s, Rest: 1.5s
    Duration: 30s (5 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    Hate Mod: -22967
    2: Decrease Current Mana by 3305 per tick
    4: Decrease Current HP by 28709 per tick
    5: Return 5.8% of Damage as Mana, Max Per Hit: 1171
    Text: Your brain pulses in pain.
    Strangles your target's brain, causing #4 damage every six seconds for %z. The strangulation effect steals up to #2 mana from your target and uses it to restore your own.

1171x5 = 5855 mana return

9370 - 5855 = 3515 lost per mob IF allowed to tick FULL DURATION

On trash raid mobs that die fast (as well as fast dps grp content stuff), unless you have a GOM proc, it is a complete waste to use Mind Storm on it from a mana respective.

Now don't get me wrong, we have other tools to help manage mana and some return on mind storm is better than none (believe this is what you mean when you keep saying function like enchanters because iirc yall get no return currently? its broke?)

Anyways just wanted to put this out there because our mana return isn't OP on mind storm anymore but competent enchanters still use it a lot and effectively without driving themselves OOM.

If that is what you meant Mills, I hope yall get it, because as I said some return is better than none.
    gotwar likes this.
  3. ~Mills~ Augur

No dots became shorter with dot revamps. You are mixing up the changes to lingering death with the dot revamps. Rotations are gonna change but not because of duration loss.

Your options are not really that much smaller. Instead of removing 5 fire dots if a mob is immune to fire and replacing them with 5 other dots you cast the other dot lines sooner which are now hitting for way more damage because they are doing the damage of 2 or 3 prior versions possibly already and then mix in the other stuff sooner. Other stuff being pet swarms, nukes, alliances, etc.

It will be complicated at first but no more so than when other changes came to be. Adapt and learn. We still will be built around dots we just now have to learn to work around mana expenditure more. We should end up having 3 paths.

All new dots and our burst should jump quite a bit but we go out of mana really fast.

All old dots and our damage remains the same, what I mean here is you go back to using whatever level of older dots equals roughly where we are now. So that might mean using the level 95 versions of dots in some settings so you don't go out of mana.

A hybrid of the two were you gain some in damage at the cost of a bit more mana expenditure. Like using Jorobb 105 version, Ignite Thoughts 99 version and Glistenwing 105 version and Halstor's Pallid Haze 99 version.
  4. ~Mills~ Augur

Crap is the Ignite Synapses line that hasn't work at all. Not asking for anything crazy just that Ignite Synapses is tweaked to mirror how your dot line was changed so that it actually returns some mana.

Currently its whats below, but that line does nothing at all adding no bonus damage done providing any mana back like was explained when the dot line came to be for us. It just never worked at all.
    1: Decrease Mana and Hitpoints by up to 424 per tick
    Drains up to 424 mana from your target every six seconds. For each point of mana drained, the target will take damage.

Prior to any revamps your dot followed the same as above only it was something like 700 mana per tick and was boosted up to 5.8% of damage done capped at 1k at rk 1. So just want the same applied here and possibly a bigger upwards tweak for us since dots are our bread and butter not a supplemental form of dps where we cast 1 dot on mob(s) and then resume other duties or forms of dps. So he could give ours a little more bang for its buck tuning wise. Like 5: Return 5.8% of Damage as Mana, Max Per Hit: 2000. This offsets the jump in mana expenditure some as this dot won't cost as much to cast or if tuned higher for us it could actually return some mana if it run its duration.
  5. Sindaiann Augur

05/18/2016 - Slot 5 changed from 'Return 9.3% of Damage as Mana' to 'Return 5.8% of Damage as Mana - Total: 1171'

05/18/2016 - Hate Mod changed from '0' to '-22967'

04/20/2016 - Mana Cost changed from '1909' to '9370'

04/20/2016 - Slot 2 changed from 'Decrease Current Mana by 818 per tick' to 'Decrease Current Mana by 3305 per tick'

04/20/2016 - Slot 4 changed from 'Decrease Current Hit Points by 4366 per tick' to 'Decrease Current Hit Points by 28709 per tick'

04/20/2016 - Description changed from 'Strangles your target's brain, causing 4366 damage every six seconds for 30s (5 Ticks). The strangulation effect steals up to 818 mana from your target and uses it to restore your own.' to 'Strangles your target's brain, causing 28709 damage every six seconds for 30s (5 Ticks). The strangulation effect steals up to 3305 mana from your target and uses it to restore your own.'

10/28/2014 - Spell Mind Storm Rk. III first appeared in EQResource Spell Database.

Prior to any damage revamps for us it was 1909 mana to cast, hit for 4366HP per tick and 818MP per tick with a straight crit damage return as damage to mana return.(we used this solely to recoup mana, no one cared about the minimal damage and even in this form it was OP). At this point, the 5.8% of damage returned did not exist. It was purely just returning crit damage totals as mana.

Then when the damage revamps occured it went to 9370 to cast, 28709HP/tick with 3305MP a tick returned. The funny thing was on the dot revamp the % was 9.3% of damage returned as mana and the max per hit cap NEVER FUNCTIONED. Every enchanter laughed because they took something that was OP without the damage increase and boosted it, raised the % return per damage and the cap per hit didn't work. It was stupid.

Then they reduced it back to 5.8% and fixed the max per hit so that it functioned correctly. Resulting in what I showed you we get back per full duration.

If you are asking for something similar to what we had when the dot was useless damage wise, you are asking for something OP, which every enchanter knew back then. So if you get it, good for you lol. I highly doubt you will though.
  6. ~Mills~ Augur

I am asking for it to work exactly like yours currently does with maybe a tweak up in the mana returned cap depending on the tuning of our dots and synapses mana wise.
    Sindaiann likes this.
  7. menown Augur

Sindaiann, I see you post a lot, so I will assume that you are a good enchanter. Can you test Mind Storm for me on a combat dummy with a detrimental duration focus earring for me. Also, test with a Tonic of Efficiency Affinity potion. If it works anything like necromancer DoTs then you will have 6 and 7 ticks in duration. Also, if you use the average detrimental mana preservation, you will see that after the entire duration of Mind Storm, you will have recovered practically all of your mana back.

1171x6 = 7026 mana return (No Potion)
    1171x7 = 8197 mana return (Potion)

9370x0.09 = 843 mana return (Group Pres)
    9370x0.12 = 1124 mana return (Raid Pres)

8197+843 = 9040 mana return (Group Pres)
    8197+1124 = 9321 mana return (Raid Pres)

*Edit: The ghost tick should be adding the 6th tick. The potion should be adding the 7th tick.
  8. menown Augur

Mills, look at the descriptions of Ignite Synapse and Mind Storm again. They look very similar, and I hope they were meant to do the same thing. However, I do see some differences. Ignite Synapses does not say "to restore your own" (mana) in it's description. I know that the first line of Ignite Synapses does not work at all, ie no damage is reported and no combined damage with line 2 is apparent in parses. What if after the fix, Aristo just decides to correct the broken line (1: Decrease Mana and Hitpoints by up to 424 per tick) in his coding, but not add the resource tap?

Ignite Synapses' Description:
    1: Decrease Mana and Hitpoints by up to 424 per tick
    2: Decrease Hitpoints by 3314 per tick
    Inflicts 3314 damage every six seconds. Drains up to 424 mana from your target every six seconds. For each point of mana drained, the target will take damage.

Mind Storm's Description:
    2: Decrease Mana by 2998 per tick
    4: Decrease Hitpoints by 26040 per tick
    5: Resource Tap (58)
    Strangles your target's brain, causing 26040 damage every six seconds for 30 secs (5 ticks). The strangulation effect steals up to 2998 mana from your target and uses it to restore your own.
  9. ~Mills~ Augur

I know its worded differently but when Ignite Energy was added it was explained that if a mob had mana this dot would return mana to the caster and do bonus damage to the mob. It just never ever worked for some reason for either the mana or the damage. It was what it was for however many years and versions but now that mana is about to be a very big deal for us it would be nice if he got it to work like theirs finally.

Maybe thats the issue all along. The enchanter version returns mana regardless of if the mob has mana so it always worked. The necro version was supposed to be a bonus if the mob had mana it would than tap mana and do more damage but for whatever reason that never worked properly. The resource tap aspect for enchanters was added after the fact when they devs realized how much mana it was returning.

The bonus is the reason the dot had so many stacking issues for years despite never working.
  10. Sindaiann Augur

Yeah you are correct. Most situations I will never use a ToE due to buff slot limitations however it was more a post of raw numbers and net return without mana pres as I did not have those numbers at hand on my phone.

It was also meant to point out that its a double edged sword in situations where you don't get a full tick duration return (ie raids on trash and grp situations with high dps on grp content). People just blindly throw around," Get the mana return enchanters do," likes its some sort of OP thing. Now if you add in casts with GOM and such, then yes you even get a net gain.

Previous to dot revamps we could easily recoup FM from 0 in about 30secs (dot multiple mobs). When the dot revamp occurred, depending on dot crits, we could get FM back in 1-3 ticks on 1 mob. Hence why they changed it to 5.3% or max per hit 1171 which makes complete sense.

All I meant was it sounded like Mills was asking for what return we had pre dot revamp, which was OP. That's all