Lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by yepmetoo, Sep 16, 2022.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Can we please do an experiment, and completely turn off Overseer and Advanced Loot for a week? Just to see the real effect on lag? Because I'm pretty sure those two features are a lot bigger cause of lag than all the stuff you've nerfed over the last 3 years in the name of reducing calculations.

Overseer should just be a separate app. Remember how everyone used the stand alone LoN client because the in game one was awful and laggy?
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We didn't have issues with lag before overseer?
    Kaenneth likes this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

It would be an interesting test and would be a serious boon for the ForumQuest franchise. Perhaps a single day?
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

A single day doesn't give enough evidence to say if something helped or not as lag does vary depending on the day of the week and how long servers have been up. Also is there any evidence to suggest that overseer or advanced loot is adding much to the lag?
  5. Smokezz The Bane Crew

I doubt it's either of these things. It's more likely an overloaded instance server when things are laggy. If it was Advanced Loot or Overseer, dropping and getting a new instance wouldn't magically fix lag.
  6. Stymie Pendragon

I know this is a different game, but I think he demonstrates what I believe to be the reason for lag in EQ as well. Too many simultaneous calculations for the server to handle.

Fast forward to the 3 minute mark.
    klanderso and Maedhros like this.
  7. SilentWave Journeyman

It might not always be overloaded instance server because I often play between midnight - 9 AM Eastern on a U.S. server & it is often still laggy even with a few toons (less than 5) in a zone. Some days the game runs smoothly (although this is becoming a lot more rare in the past couple of years), but most days it does not. It definitely is not my computer or internet connection too so it must be something else.
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Where do you experience lag most often? I only ask because I rarely encounter lag running 9 accounts on the same system.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And a large part of the calculations on the server are the massive amounts of melee swings, melee procs, spell casts and spell procs. If you look at a parse how many players have 10+ actions each second when you count all that up and when you factor in focus effects and cascading procs it really adds up.
  10. tsiawdroi TittyGOAT

How about the beta server? No need to overseer on it
  11. Mossaa Augur

Achivements have been around for more than 4 years. I prefere lag if I had to select among keep lag or lose achivements and autoloot. If those did go away, so would I.
  12. Tappin Augur

The OP has a point - much of the modern day lag came around the same time as the Overseer launched.
  13. Iven the Lunatic

A strong evidence for Overseer is that the game became laggy right after it got added. 2.5 years lag and many alienated customers since then (~2020-03-16). I don't think that the advanced loot system is creating much lag because I never had lag (beside graphical lag in new zones) when using it on a very old computer that had just a slightly better CPU (4450e; +10% MHz) than what is now the official minimum CPU recommendation. They misstyped 4050e tho because the 4040e never existed.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

I remember there being lag before that. TBL, ROS, EOK, TBM, TDS all had lag. Really depends on the zone and the number of players.
    Stymie, Sancus and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I remember differently and we had lag issues before that on many raids.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The beta server almost never has lag to begin with due to how it works.
  17. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

How bout we get rid of all raiding for a week and see if that fixes the lag?
    Flatchy likes this.
  18. Zunnoab Augur

The way things have been going they should bog it down intentionally while testing sometimes, so things don't launch in a catastrophically broken state like the Oubliette and Vex Thal raids
  19. Iven the Lunatic

All those weapon, aug and spell procs are also known as big lag sources and the combat spam does generally require a lot server calculations. Raids should suffer more from that than other activities. Overseer does still remain as a lag milestone.

All those expansions with the exception of most parts of TBM are very graphic intensive, especially when playing with a high clip plane value. Pretty sure you experienced graphics calculations lag because your CPU is old or your EQ setup was not optimized. The 3D hardware support is very limited so most if not all graphical calculations are being done by the CPU.
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

The server lag that people experienced was not caused by graphics.
    Zunnoab likes this.