Group makeup & returning strategy advice

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by GoatMonkey, Feb 7, 2018.

1. GoatMonkey New Member

Greetings!
    A friend and I are likely to resub (2 accounts each), and although we have only been gone for a few expansions, I have a few questions that I hope some people can help with.
    First, group makeup. Below are the accounts and the 105s in them. We plan to tackle progression with set units (easier to keep track of) when we play. I think the below is what we used when we stopped. (colors indicate owner of account)
    Account 1: SK, shaman, bard, zerker, wizard
    Account 2: Warrior, paly, cleric, monk, mage
    Account 3: Warrior, druid, monk, BL, necro
    Account 4: Shaman, rogue, ranger, mage, enchanter

I'm thinking:
    Group 1: bard, mage, necro, mage (easy to box and fun)
    Group 2: shaman, monk, warrior, rogue (nostalgia...these toons started grouping together in 2002)
    Group 3: SK, cleric, BL, ranger
    Group 4: wizard, paly, druid, enchanter
    Group 5: zerker, warrior, monk, shaman

Although I like the first two groups for stated reasons, there are issues with them and I am open to listening to any suggestions especially if I am missing some amazing combinations! The caveat is that all 5 groups need to be functional...

Second, returning strategy.
    All toons are on the verge of dinging 106, are mostly or fully geared with TBM group gear, and have a good base of AAs (some were max in TBM).
    Given the uncertainty around HAs, I was thinking that I should gear up and AA up in EoK (while also working on some old progression) before dinging and thus triggering the HA scaling. However, I cannot remember if the tasks auto-grant regular xp even if xp is set to 100% AA. If they do grant regular xp, it would seem I have no choice and will have to deal with whatever fix comes out later this month.

Any and all advice appreciated.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Top tier group makeups:
    1: SK, Mage, Druid, Enchanter. High damage, good synergy between casters, tracking, ADPS and CC. Can make use of the mage's CotH.
    2: Wizard, Warrior, Druid, Enchanter. Same as #1, less independent tanking, possibly more damage.
    3. Zerker, Warrior, BL, Shaman. Melee focused group, high damage. No tracking. Melee DPS can be tougher to box because of positioning and inability to maintain decent DPS through intermittent social macros.
    4. SK, Mage, Warrior, Enchanter: Less efficient 4 man group, but allows each player to have a tank + backup, which will make it easier to 2box independently if you guys plan on doing so.

Within reason, virtually any combination with a tank will be better than a group without a tank. SK/War are both great tanks, with SKs generally pulling ahead because of increased utility and less reliance on external healing.

In general I'd recommend keeping one player tanking and the other healing and also relying on a healer merc.

Casters are generally easier to box, and druids, enchanters and wizards are really, really good right now. Overall #1 is a really strong group and you should be able to do all group content in the game.

Regarding strategy, I think you'd be fine with either jumping to 110 asap or staying at 105.