Giving EQ admin rights in Vista

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by bitefiends, Sep 15, 2014.

1. bitefiends Elder

Hi there

Getting a bit bored with having to right click and enter Admin password to run EQ in Vista. Path for Everquest is C:\\Everquest or C:\\Sony\everquest I have tried both

I have done

As admin- right clicked on EQ icon for application- Set compatibility mode to Windows XP service pack 2- Privilege level to Run this programme as an administrator checked clicked apply then ok

Moved back to other user as I don't use admin account to run games and the settings are all lost

Tried the same as the other account but Privilege level to Run this programme as an administrator is not available

Any thing else I can try or any advice Ta in advance
  2. Ranndom_TheUndead Augur

Unsure of what your family situation is, but as myself i just run on the Admin account so i don't have to use a password. Only 1 extra click.
    Unless the account is admin i don't think you'll be able to bypass the password.
    If you go into Control Panel>User Accounts and Family Safety>User Accounts on the admin account you'll be able to poke around and change the settings for the account you want to play on. Including setting a second administrator account.
  3. Sarkaukar Augur

Family Safety is to change a standard account to child account. Did Vista come with Family Account?

What happens when you remove admin privileges? Right click, Properties, Compat tab, All users?

And in the UAC (User account Control) of the your account, move it down 1 notch (if at the top most).

Running Win8 but testing a few things...

Edited - Remove Admin privileges from EQ in the All users. The Admin privileges, iirc, were needed when installed in Default location (users/etc or program files) and when installing the game.

Also, the UAC setting in the standard/child account determines when the pop-up window comes up. Since the shortcut has been given Admin privileges and the UAC is likely set at the highest, it will always ask for the password. It could also be that MS made some slight changes in the UAC from Vista to Windows 8.

I have not tested it yet to see if I made changes in the game, IU settings/hotkey/social if they save or not. They should save since they are located in a critical location.

I currently have my ranger logged in the game on a child's account with no admin privileges assigned to the shortcut.

On the standard/child account, delete the shortcut. Drill down to EQ location, make sure admin are not enabled on Launchpad, then send to Desktop as a short cut.

Reply back if that works or not. I will not have access to a Vista desktop until this weekend to test it.
  4. bitefiends Elder

hi

Thanks for responses:

I cleared all admin rights from Launchpad, eqgame and there was another eqgame.exe it is now starting on the non admin account without asking for a password

It is not a family/shared pc but I believe it to be a good security measure, that you never run as admin directly on internet even though I do have firewalls and all that good stuff

Once again thanks for the help
  5. Geroblue Augur

C:\Sony\Everquest\ never put it in C:\Program Files\ as the operating system security would block changes.
  6. Fendy Augur

c:\users\public\sony online entertainment\installed games\everquest is where soe thinks it should be installed in windows 7. god only knows why.
  7. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

I don't want to put links up to various places, but there is a nifty file called "take ownership". I used it when I had vista and it was a godsend.
    It adds and option to the right-click menu to "take ownership" of the given file. It then proceeds to make all of the registry changes needed (it will override windows protected files also, so don't go too crazy).

Basically, if anything gave me issues, Right-click, take ownership, problem solved. ;)

As for UAC issues, when you set up a sub-account, you can set what programs are authorized or not.
    It is a pain in the butt (you have to go through a loooong list), but it is doable.

Personally, I turn off UAC, and use third party applications to protect my PC's.