First time playing, class selection

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Maltidas, May 19, 2015.

1. Maltidas New Member

I am looking for basic advice on a solid solo class that can also help a group if/when I progress. I tend to play alone at times, but if I should find a group that I like, I would not be beyond gaming with them.

I have been playing MMO's since 1997, but Everquest was one that I passed on. I have enough working knowledge of the game to know the basics, but class selection is something that I am finding difficult to deal with. I like playing Priests and classes that can deal damage as well as heal themselves. I am patient and don't need a speed leveling class.

I know that this is an often asked question, but what classes can I solo with?

Thank you for your time,

~Malt
  2. moogs Augur

Hi and welcome. Druid is your answer. It's a very strong solo class (no need for a mercenary but you can go that route too), and we're desirable in groups and raids. At high levels, we can do pretty serious damage. Along with bards, we're the most flexible class in EQ. We have all of the tools needed to be successful against anything that we can root/snare, as long as they don't summon. It just takes a little practice learning to pull singles reliably, managing unexpected adds, and kiting in tight spots.
  3. Maltidas New Member

Thank you moogs for your response. I just read that I need a subscription to join the new Ragefire server? Is this true?
  4. Roxxanna Augur

With a merc (mercenary), anyone can solo (molo). Just grab a tank merc and have it fight for you, while you nuke and heal. I prefer clerics, but you may wish to try them all. And even though you may prefer to kinda remain solo, I suggest a family guild, a wealth of info can be gleaned there.
    moogs likes this.
  5. Jadefox Augur

Yes.

--Jade
  6. moogs Augur

Afraid so. The Time Locked Progression servers are for Gold Members only.
  7. Maltidas New Member

The issue I have with that is, is it worth $15 a month for a sixteen year old game. I want to start on a fresh server, and this looked like the perfect opportunity. Have to think on this.
  8. Rhaage Augur

For comparison's sake... any other "new" game would easily be over $30, you could choose to commit to two months to see if the game provides you the entertainment value and make a choice at the 60 day mark... just a thought
  9. moogs Augur

This may be biased, but if you're going to saddle up for a subscription based MMO, EQ is the biggest, deepest, most challenging of all, and has the most mature community. I learn something new every month.

It's your money, of course. I pay for 12 months at a time, so it comes to $10/mo instead of $15, but as a first time player you should form your own opinions before shelling out the big bucks.

My cousin bought me a copy of EQ around 2000 because he had a friend who told him that it was pretty good. I installed it and then realized that I had to pay a monthly fee (WHAT?) in order to continue to play. It sat on my bookcase for two years before I gave it another look. I understand the hesitation. I tried World of Snorecraft for 2 months, and DDO and a couple of others for a few hours. EQ's worth a much longer look. Hope you give it a good chance and find what you're looking for.
    Fallfyres, Borek-VS and guado like this.
  10. Necromonious Augur

You might find after playing "vanilla" for a short while that you want to play on live servers, even if it's for free. See, vanilla EQ is a slower and very "dumbed-down" version of the game, even moreso than most other MMO's first year just because of how old EQ is.

So there's a chance that, after playing vanilla, you might become bored of waiting on things, and playing a very simplified version of the game, and from there you can try playing on live
  11. Behee Augur

Also, the subscription is for Ragefire, it is All-Access, which is for all Daybreak games. So you get all the perks in each game.

Free to Play is a viable option, it's in many of their games now to try things out.

EQ on Ragefire is a 16 years old game, but it uses the same client as the normal servers. Some of the zones have been updated, but they are still Dx9 quality. I don't care about that, since it is the richness of the EQ world that keeps me going rather than the graphics.

What Ragefire does is let you play through the expansions while they are current on the server. On a live server the low end game is much less populated, and you probably wouldn't do much exploring and really going through all expansions. You rise up in level fast, you get all major perks (AA's faster or for free), have access to later expansion help such as mercenaries, and so on. You end up playing the last few expansions of EQ primarily, since you out-level the early ones so fast.

That's what draws people to TLP servers; we are starting over. Yes, 16 year old content but that is the point.
  12. Borek-VS Augur

EQ is worth it, never mind the other games All Access gives you. The $10 you pay for one month (with an annual sub) is much better value than a cinema ticket - 3 hours versus several dozen hours a month.

If you still aren't convinced spend some more time playing for free on live servers, although be aware that a lot of people will be starting extra characters on Ragefire, so live will be emptier than normal for the next few months.

For Ragefire, good solo classes include: magician, necromancer, druid and monk. They are also good solo characters on live servers, but mercs (as someone has already said) close up the gap for other classes. Enchanter is also an excellent soloer, but much more challenging to learn how to play.