eqgame.exe using way to much CPU

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Heijoshin, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Heijoshin New Member

Output from TOP with one toon just sitting in EW at fort.

Code:
      PID USER      PR  NI    VIRT    RES    SHR S  %CPU  %MEM     TIME+ COMMAND                                                                                                                       
    189587 username    20  0 2255932  1.4g 101008 R 206.0  9.1  21:12.29 eqgame.exe          

I run EQ in wine on Gentoo on a brand new Razer Blade 15 laptop with a Nvidia 2600 gtx. After the latest expansion/patch I along with many others have notice quite a bit of extra lag. After a bit of poking around I found that eqgame.exe is pounding the CPU core hard constantly. Restarts/reboots do not correct this issue. The game is just sucking CPU cycles a lot harder than it use to. Running multiple instances of the game results in the same thing just multiplied by X instances. I use CPUAffinitiyX= -1 in eqclient.ini for each instance to separate out the load across the cores. This all worked flawlessly until the latest eqgame.exe was patched in. Please look into this issue.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

EQ isn't supported or optimized for non Windows systems. You'll have to try to work it out or with other users that run it that way.
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...minimum-system-requirements-to-run-EverQuest-
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Heijoshin New Member

Such a generic reply. I am betting this issue extends beyond non-windows systems and if some windows users were savvy enough to check their CPU usage during high lag moments they will see the same thing. This game usually runs better on Linux under wine than it does on Windows, at least for the last 15 years or so. The problem is the game is CPU heavy and does not utilize the graphics card as it really should since the game engine is so old. So the code needs to be optimized to reduce CPU utilization, especially under multitasking loads. Offloading much of the graphics rendering to the GPU would help with this.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

You are absolutely right that the EQ-client is not well optimized for a modern pc-architecture, But in order to fix that, they would need an extensive upgrade and fundamental refactoring of the client. I think it would be a great idea to do just that, but until now, they haven't assigned the resources to do it.

Time will tell, what the new owners think...:)
  5. Cadman Elder

No issues personally running in Windows 10 - my EQ instances are sitting around 15% cpu and 22% gpu, same as usual.
  6. Oscig Elder

I play on arch linux and it runs just fine, 30-45% CPU usage. You actually have two issues here. The first is that you're letting it render as fast as possible, either limit it in the options FPS limiter or go to your eqclient.ini and add "Vsync = TRUE" under the [Defaults] section at the top.

The second is caused by wined3d. I can tell because everquest is singlethreaded and the only way you'd be hitting 200% usage is because wined3d uses a separate thread for command submissions. The first should also greatly reduce this.
    Metanis likes this.