Deleveling- with aa changes

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Smak, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Smak Augur

Now that aa abilities are supposed to scale down to your current level, could there be a way to delevel yourself without dieing a lot. Sort of like using the shroud system, to temporarily go down in levels yet remain as your same character and class?

And then return to your higher level by visiting an npc like the shroud ones?

If higher level players kept a set of gear for lower levels, they could group with lower level players without using a shroud, or dieing a lot and needing to regain levels.

There may be less need for low level players to get power leveled as much if anyone could group with them.

It might also make the game more interesting if zones had maximum level limits to them. SO if you were higher level you would have to select a lower level to be able to enter or fight in lower level zones.

You would not have level 100s instantly killing raid targets in temple of veeshan if the level was capped at 60 or 65 for the zone.
    Qest T. Silverclaw likes this.
  2. Sebbina Augur

Good idea. lets keep anyone over 30 out of CR, Freeport, Qeynos etc. and anyone below 70 out of all of Antonica, Kunark, Faydwer, Odus and POK.
  3. Silv Augur

Unless you plan to prevent the use of mercs or adjust them in some way- this change still leaves your "shrouded" players at a huge advantage over anyone of the actual level. A J T5 merc will destroy any other merc you can get before Lv. 85 (when most people get T5). I know this because I sacrificed a Lv. 90+ character, who had a T5 merc, to Lv. 52. When comparing the healing solo (one merc or the other only), a J T1 of another Lv. 52 would wind up at 30-40% mana on a raid event, whereas the T5 would be at 90%.

I'd be okay with a deleveling option if it was "one-way", e.g., /delevel 90 to take a Lv. 100 to 90, then you'd have to xp back up all over again if you wanted. Pointless? Perhaps to most. However, your (OP) method would just be abused if they actually made those types of changes (zone level limits). I don't think it would help lower level characters much at all.
  4. Smak Augur

I am not sure how this would in any way keep those under level 70 out of old zones.
  5. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Ok, but a high level grouping with a low level at their level with an OP merc is still better than the high level PLing the lowbie.

We already have the ability to delevel by dying repeatedly. Many of us have Expedient Recovery to return to our previous level, though I wouldn't recommend the tactic as if something went wrong, (server crash, power outage, PC malfunction, server error, etc.) you could be stuck at that level!
  6. Smak Augur

If the problem is mercenary, then set it so they revert to j1 mercs if you go down too low level.

No one is forcing anyone to use mercs, players use them because they are too overpowered and don't ask for loots.
  7. Abazzagorath Augur

What deleveling changes are you talking about.

AA stopped working when you deleveled past their level YEARS ago (or within 2 levels or whatever it was). That change was made a long long time ago. Did they modify it again?
  8. Smak Augur

The problem was that when you went under the level required for your aa skills that it would totally disable them, now it is supposed to scale back to your current level.

Harm Touch for example if you were under the last level you purchased it at, it would not be useable at all. Now it should allow you to harm touch at the level your current level can use it at. I have not tested it, but that's just what I took from reading the patch notes.
  9. Brudal Augur

10. Izcurly Augur

"Scale" is the wrong word. But it used to be that the ENTIRE line was dead if you weren't of the level you last purchased. Now it's just disabling the levels you aren't entitled to use.
    Leerah likes this.
  11. Abazzagorath Augur

Well, seems fair. Don't see how that changes anything. And there won't be a way to do what you ask. In response to a suggestion to just have player class shrouds (so if you're a 100 paladin, can shroud to an 80 paladin with "group era appropriate gear levels", i.e., no gear, just the same stats/abilities) which would be a lot simpler than trying to modify your gear levels, a dev said that the amount of effort to create a single shroud is MASSIVE, so anything about doing them for multiple levels/classes was simply never going to happen.

Just doing monster mission shrouds for new events is apparently a ton of work.
  12. Smak Augur

They would not exactly have to make shrouds for people to delevel, maybe just remove the number of levels the player wants and get a token that can be turned in to regain the level you were.

Say a level 100 wanted to go down to level 50 to join a nagafen raid, he/she could get a token of level 100, drop down to level 50, pull some level 50 gear out of the bank to use and go hunting. Then later hand in the level 100 token and return to level 100.

GW2 took it a step farther and made deleveling automatic in low level zones, and scaled back gear/stats by a %. So you would not need to swap gear around.

With this, you would not even need to set up monster missions, just set level limits on zones. The same feeling of competition would be there. But instead of level 100s competing to one shot raid targets, you would have groups of players competing for the targets.
  13. Gragas Augur

No thanks, would prefer to RAID (groups of players) current content and one shot trivial content for trivial loot/clicks.
  14. Tharzak Elder

So has anyone actually tested this yet? I would love to take advantage of it and delevel to more easily AA.
  15. Smak Augur

The problem may be that aa exp is supposedly slower after you have a few thousand? So deleveling to 51 to bank 30 aa and then regaining the levels to spend them would be counter productive. Since even with vet recovery I don't think it restores 100% of the experience lost. More likely 90 or 96% rezzes for each corpse.

You could only use that vet aa every few days and only exp in that fashion for a couple hours.
  16. Caudyr Augur

No, the vet AA still restores 100% of experience lost.

However...I'm pretty sure that after the rez timer wears off on corpses they disappear altogether now, which makes using expedient on them after that kind of difficult. ^^