Charm is too strong

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Barthorn, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabman Augur

You say classic but its really classic to ldon at least... so lets say 7 of the 27 xpacs or over 1/4 of the games life. Thats a very long "day in the sun."

And to reiterate what so many people here are saying is that when the game was made, charm was so much harder to be successful. Now it is not hard at all and that is the issue. You and I agree its supposed to be high risk high reward but its not anymore
    Thalliius and Sokanist like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Would you prefer to keep corpse recovery being needed if it meant that Enchanters kept their charm strength? That was the original risk part of the risk vs reward equation Enchanters faced, if you want that restored I am totally on board with that, but be careful what you ask for.
  3. Crabman Augur

As I already said the "risk" i was talking about was the higher likelihood of the charm breaking.
    Class balancing vs consequence of death are 2 very different discussions.

I would say group wipes are far more common from a group without an enchanter making a bad pull rather than a group with an enchanter having the pet break. And almost the only time its the latter is if its a bad pull on top of a pet break...
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You can try to pretend that is the case but they are linked, risk includes consequences associated with that risk.

Depends on the puller situation, you don't really need an Enchanter for CC at all if you have a good puller, I played many times without & had no wipes for hours back in classic. The wipes we did get were idiots running around training people.
  5. Fudly Elder

Charm is stupidly overpowered. You could nerf it into the ground and enchanters would still get groups because they also have the best haste, best mana regen, best crowd control, and second best slow.

It's true enchanters are boring on raids. Most classes are boring on raids, and they're not half as good as an enchanter in a group.

This whole thread is people admitting it's broken and people who know it's broken but want it to continue to be broken because it's fun.
    Ruiner, Zansobar, Kanuvan and 2 others like this.
  6. Thalliius Augur

lol at risk vs reward... the pet completely dominates from Classic thru PoP.. in PoP, the enchanter pet was doing over 50% of the total group damage, and was the main tank...

its silly overpowered, love watching people try to defend it
    Zansobar likes this.
  7. Thalliius Augur

Well I just spotted at least 1 person who plays an enchanter lol!

Trying to make the argument its like classic EQ and you're "reliving old memories" hahahaha... Charm was never this good during original release of EQ, it is BROKEN.

Then you try defending it by saying Enchanters arent that good at level 70+, which is hilarious because most of the TLPs dont even make it into those later expansions!

Nice attempt at playing the "us poor little enchanters, we're so fragile and helpless"

Charm is broken, time to make some tweaks DPG!
    Ruiner likes this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It isn't broken, if it was broken it would not be working, it is working & people are arguing about it working too well, sometimes termed as being over-powered or too powerful.

Well, you wanted to play a TLP to relive that nostalgia, Enchanters were overpowered on live in that era so why can you get your nostalgia fix but think Enchanters should be deprived of theirs?

They aren't nearly as overpowered on TLP in classic as they were in classic on live because Melee DPS got a serious boost on live that makes Melee on TLP a whole ton stronger than they were in era on Live servers, that's why for raid mobs the MoTM buff was introduced.

So I think it is pure envy myself, crabs in a bucket syndrome & rose-tinted ignorance of how things were on live back then, it was crazy overpowered then & the designers of the game made it like that.

EQ is not a balanced game, it has classes which when played expertly will be overpowered.
    code-zero likes this.
  9. Thalliius Augur

They get a leg up for a lot more than the first 4 expansions, and those are the core expansions of any TLP, therefor Enchanters are GODS on TLP servers. I played on Coirnav and Selos... enchanters were the hot thing, everyone wanted at least 1 in their group, but 2 or 3 was even better!

Charm is op, allows people to just steamroll content and fulfill multiple group roles better than the specializes player classes designed to fill those roles. That is called BROKEN.
    Zansobar likes this.
  10. Thalliius Augur

Oh please get out of here with this risk nonsense... I've played countless hours on TLPs with enchanters charming everything from Classic to PoP, and i think i can only recall 1 or 2 deaths ever.. and one of them was because he was afk haha

sooooooo much risk for being far and away the most powerful class in the game, bar none... Need CC? Chanter is #1... Need DPS? Chanter is #1... need a tank? Chanter is arguably #1... yup, everything is perfect, nothing to see here, move along!

haha
    Ruiner likes this.
  11. Barthorn Elder

I think the vast majority think charm is over powered on TLP. There's some who feel it's nostalgic, but it wasn't even strong in 1999-2001. It was actually balanced. It was inconsistent, gear dependent, and dangerous. Now its a free carry. Hope everyone enjoys a nice interactive leveling experience getting power leveled by charm pets. Fun.
  12. Sikkun Augur

If it’s really about your personal enjoyment, you can not group with an Ench. I promise you can even hit max level the same day as people grouping with one.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Even though my signature openly shows the classes I have mained & currently main, maybe you need an eye-test?

I don't need to be an Enchanter to understand the mechanics of their class or the false arguments presented for nerfing one of their most key & fun abilities into a boring pale shadow of itself.

So your ad-hominem is simply ignorance and perhaps poor-eyesight talking.

If it was broken it wouldn't be working yet you also claim it is working too well, you do know how to English yes?

It was an ability that works the same now as it did on classic, the spell has not gained any additional strength, the consequences from using it poorly have been lessened by the fact that corpse recovery is so much easier now & players are more knowledgeable about how to use it well. It is no more powerful than it was in era, and yes it is an overpowered ability when used by a proficient player, just like it used to be.

Do you suggest we reinstate corpse recovery & brainwashing players to remove knowledge built up over years of play & sending out cease & desists to all of the websites hosting guides on how to play one?

Except that that was a perfectly well reasoned argument & TLP DO make it into the later expansions.
    case in point:
    Fippy got as far as unlocking TDS
    Ragefire & Lockjaw are in Secrets of Faydwer
    Phinigel is in TDS
    Coirnav is in Prophecy of Ro
    Mangler has had PoP open a while & still houses a lot of players
    Selos is in Underfoot

Only Agnarr did not go beyond LDoN with active guilds clearing raids & that's obviously because it was locked at LDoN.

So are you lying or ignorant of the facts? Pick one.

I don't main an Enchanter, I will admit that sometimes I've boxed one, but not regularly enough to be a huge advocate on the basis of self-interest, I am mostly disconcerted by the huge amount of BS that gets passed off as informed opinion.

Incorrect, charm is working, furthermore it is working as it was designed & intended by the creators of the game.
  14. Hinastorm86 Augur

It's pretty obvious what he ment by the most servers don't get to 70+ comment Skuz, unless you're just trolling.
    You need to take a break from these forums bud, just being really unpleasant and combative all around.
    Barthorn and Ruiner like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It is not obvious to me what he meant, perhaps you can enlighten me.

Is it that TLP servers going beyond PoP is a lie & I am simply mistaken & that the server I play on which is a TLP is not really a TLP?
    Am not really playing in The Darkened Sea Expansion, am I not really playing a level 105 character and it's really only a level 65 & am I hallucinating all of this?

Is it the popular myth "TLP don't go beyond PoP" which gets trotted out for a justification of multiple shades of BS and this individual believes in this myth and I should respect his beliefs?
    Have I committed some heinous infraction by attempting to illuminate the dark recesses of his poor addled mind?

Please let me know.

Thank you very much for your concern, let me reassure you I am healthy, happy & in good spirits, I happen to enjoy a lively debate.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I guess its a good thing I have never said it isn't overpowered then, so my IQ is safe

I openly stated it as being overpowered, maybe you aren't reading properly or you are another person who needs an eye-test, Ophthalmologists would have a field day in here.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Against the forum rules, congrats on probably getting the thread locked just like the prior one.
  18. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Agreed charm being OP is quite fun. But for some reason when it comes to charm people on the forums want to ruin other peoples fun.

Defensive is OP but fun for some
    SK life taps are OP but fun for some
    Monk Burst DPS is op but fun for some
    Bard Speed is OP but fun for some
    DI and Cheal are OP but fun for some
    Shaman Slow is OP but fun for some
    Mage pets are OP but fun for some

Why do people wanna ruin things that are fun.
    code-zero and Skuz like this.
  19. Sikkun Augur

If everyone’s OP is anyone OP?
    Skuz likes this.
  20. a_librarian Augur

Rangers are a bit ridiculous in Luclin/PoP too, bow aggro should probably be fixed because it's essentially 0 right now.
    Skuz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.