captcha on forum login

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Ghubuk, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Gialana Augur

Every time I need to log in, I've had to click the pictures. But I also use private browsing.
  2. Geroblue Augur

Three clicks, one of them was correct, but due to dark photo, I had to carefully look with my reading glasses so it would accept verify. Not easy.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

If it had EQ images it would be better.
  4. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

1. I signed out of google before closing my browser.
    2. I opened my browser and tried to log in to these forums.
    3. I clicked the I'm not a robot box, but was then presented with the stupid picture clicking test.
    4. I ignored the test. Did not bother to close or click on it.
    5. In a new tab, I signed in to news.google.com.
    6. Back on this tab, I refreshed the login page.
    7. I clicked the box and was logged in without a test.
    Yinla likes this.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

And what's that supposed to mean?
    That i should "just" get me a google account and all were good because one inconvenience were exchanged for giving up even more of my online-privacy?
    Every support and use of google is bad in the longer run, if you don't realize it immediately.
    Things like this captcha basically fail their goal and only give google more tracking info.
    It is another bother for the legit users, much like the copy-protection "spots" you are forced to watch on a legitimately bought DVD/BlueRay, and not at all productive for anyone but google. And if they want to use another hurdle for logging in, they should at least have the decency to host the themselves.
  6. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Just want to clarify that I am in 100% agreement with you, that this is a terrible implementation and most certainly erodes any sense of privacy or online safety. Which is the ultimate irony, since it is advertised as a way to protect you.

And you're going to love this:
    Today, I repeated the exact same test, except that I used a completely different google account. Once again, as soon as I signed into the google account, I was allowed to bypass the picture test and access the forums.

So, presumably, google (and presumably DBG, by proxy?) have linked at least 2 separate google accounts to my DBG forum account. That means that anybody using the same browser (maybe even just pc?) is considered to be me and is approved to log in. Doesn't that sound safe and secure? :) Good luck practicing safe Interneting, folks.
    elumxe and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

This is harder than the actual game!

You have become better at captcha picture association. (2)
  8. Geroblue Augur

back to about 20-25 clicks because it doesn't know where the end of the street signs are located. Try again. Thats what it said.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

Perhaps a Captcha leaderboard is coming.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

And I would still like to know what problem is being solved by this particular waste of time.
  11. Vanrau Augur

It's to stop spam bots from registering accounts and logging in. However it should only be used for registration like most of the web. I run several sites so I know how a pain in the butt bots can be.

They must have a really bad spam bot problem where they figured out how to get around their registration system and are trying to spam the site by logging in. Maybe they are actively trying to filter out the spam bots and they'll drop captcha for log in once they clean the system of those bots.
  12. Zhaunil_AB Augur

*grumble*
    First temporarily allow google scripts because else you get auto-rejected.
    Then play a little memory game.
    All just to prevent us posting on server-down and that the issue is anything BUT "potential".
    *sigh*
  13. Geroblue Augur

Cars, well, a pickup truck is not a car, its a small truck. And yet, the captcha thinks its a car and I had to do the street signs.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Warpeace Augur

You have one square with 90% of a vehicle and the squaree right above it with the other 10%. Do you include it or not or does this simply depend on who coded that particular picture set? There seems to be no consistency.
  15. Geroblue Augur

Sometimes it requires the bits and sometimes not. And sometimes it counts things that aren't cars as cars.

So good luck using it !
  16. Geroblue Augur

Oh dear. Tractor-trailor rigs, i.e. 18 wheelers, are not cars.
  17. Geroblue Augur

Well, I'm getting better; however, since i cannot read Spanish, except for hello and good-bye, I had a problem with the store fronts. Some were not obvious they were store fronts. Different architecture I'm not used to. Some didn't have signs.
  18. Kyzvs Augur

The captcha code is Google code - get a Gmail account (even if you never use it), log in on the browser to get the gmail cookies and then you'll very rarely see the puzzles.

Actually now I said that and I think about it, I've seen them only the once when they were first introduced on this site.
  19. Nolrog Augur

Sometimes I spend a few minutes trying to figure out of the corner of that sign is in the next box or that car has an inch of tire there so does that count or not.
  20. Nolrog Augur