Are Clerics viable/needed?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Kaspur, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Roxxanna Augur

That's 2 excellent post in a row, very well said guys!
  2. Brohg Augur

One thing specific to clerics - Good Player Cleric is nearly a different class. Mediocre clerics think their job is to "do what a clemerc does", just better. And it is that, but... Good Player Clerics are more like "do what a clemerc does", and also do my whole thang.
    Mykaylla likes this.
  3. Kaspur New Member

@Brohg I'm not interested in being Flavor of the Month Class. It's just that I quit playing pre Merc's and my choices were play Cleric solo (was harder back then) or role another Class.

Been playing the last couple of nights with a Merc Tank and enjoying it a lot. Not looking for a fast leveling Class or an overpowered one either. I can solo with my Cleric and a Merc and be perfectly happy.
  4. IDotPeople Augur

Racewise for clerics, is a few classes that actually give abilities you wouldn't have otherwise:

Dark Elf/Halfling, you get hide ability. Not a particularly high skill of it either, but can safely hide afk if you can find a mob to con when needed.

Gnome: If for some reason you need more pain in your life, you can now tinker as well.

High Elf/Erudite/Human: Better if you prefer a higher point of view by default, this is important for some.

In terms of value versus mercs, if you aren't better than having 2 cleric mercs around, you are doing it wrong.... You should be healing circles around them end game.
  5. Sheaffer Augur

I would not recommend playing a cleric unless you plan to raid. Druids and shaman healing is sufficient for 95% of group content plus they bring so much more to the group. With heal mercs being as good as they are, it leaves you free to focus on the other areas of the class.

Being a cleric does have a huge advantage when it comes to joining raid guild...most guilds are always recruiting clerics and will often waive AA/gear requirements.
    Borek-VS and Candydare like this.
  6. Borek-VS Augur

Gnomes don't need shrink, which makes a difference for many. DE/human snare necklace has already been mentioned, I think. Oh, and dwarves get a higher starting sense direction skills, for those living ten years ago :).
  7. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Every class has problems getting groups:

DPS: there are many DPS classes and players, so more competition.
    Tanks: groups can't use a 2nd one. Tank mercs have more reliable aggro.
    Healers: some groups don't need more healing than a merc can provide.
    Utility: what do you contribute again? I forgot.

Personally, I can't stand the thought of players losing out to mercs, so I'll take the player every time, regardless. Plus, I prefer to hunt in Plane of War where mercs are generally worse than empty slots!

So, if you like easy content, those Gribble groups probably won't want a Cleric. If you like hard stuff, we'd love to have you on raids and in PoWar.
    Roxxanna likes this.
  8. Raptorjesus5 Augur

It should also be noted, that Halflings also get sneak, which is an incredibly useful skill (IMO).