2 new TLPs announced for 20th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Elbereth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. That0neguy Augur

Absolutely. But so would the casuals. Very few people would actually want to progress slower.
    snailish likes this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

Perhaps, but eqmule is pretty confident that it's not running on True Box servers. I believe him. I guess you are saying that you have first-hand knowledge of M****Q**** being used on TLP servers?
  3. That0neguy Augur

He can be confident that the version he hands out doesn't work. The software itself is open source though and still works with a little bit of effort.
  4. Funk Augur

I like this idea, unlocks the next expansion instantly once the current one is completed.
    It would be interesting to see how quickly a guild could actually catch up to live and beat current content from scratch in that format.

Would probably want to put increased xp and free trade with that as guilds could help gear newer members with banked raid gear and maximize efficiency as they destroy new content.
    jeskola likes this.
  5. snailish Augur

Depends if "ultra casual" is a serious label or not.

Fast XP is a great carrot, but only so many would eat it with slow unlocks. Slow unlocks make sense to clarify the point that if you are a serious hardcore player you are going to be doing the same stuff for a long time surrounded by really slow progression people that play sporadically on the server aimed at them.

Fast XP, Phinny rules with 6 month or even longer lockouts... that's a niche appeal server (so is/was Agnarr --I'd say it made enough $ to justify serving a niche). Could also be someone's once a week or once a month server while they spend most of their time playing elsewhere --like Coirnav.

If the goal of "ultra casual" is to actually recapture that population (the early quitters of all past TLP) and attempt to retain them a bit longer... there's a good chance it isn't going to be an appealing ruleset to the demographic that mostly posts on these forums.

I personally sort of hate playing in classic era... but I would give a long unlock "Ultra casual" server a try. I think it would evolve a very unique community that wants to go slowly through eras, but not spend tons of time grinding levels.
  6. Barathrum Augur

I agree the hardcore group will just go play on the fast exp FV server!
    Why wouldn't you? You can level toons to max in 20ish hours or faster! Your main raid will split end game content! You will have 2-4 guilds raiding end game content on optional nights with there 3rd,4th,5th,6th alts because you can! This could be the next phinny 2.0 meaning the population will be similar! Catching guild mates up also isn't a problem... Say you have a long time member that has to go for family or work reasons... Well when they come back boom armor and gear waiting... There ready to go in a few hours or days and that has imo more appeal than anything!

While thats going you have the hardcore server!!!! How was sitting in upper guk for 25+ hours? good you got a few levels thats awesome bro you'll be in lower guk in no time!! How was that corpse run? terrible man! Your keys delete when you log yikes... You dont have focus effects? You dont have the melee buff? No Pots ? No bags ? no store mounts?
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

I'm not arguing with you, by the way. I'm just passing on what eqmule said. :) What he said was that he had obfuscated the code enough that he was confident that no one would be able to compile it for TLP use. /shrug
  8. That0neguy Augur

All for this idea as well. I would leave the bonus XP and stuff out though. Would be really interesting to see at what point a guild would have to slow down to keep progressing. Do you have to farm time/anguish/whatever for an extra week before you can have enough dps/health to survive? Def changes the encounters when you are trying to min/max to keep moving forward.
    Funk likes this.
  9. That0neguy Augur

Slow Xp + Fast unlocks vs. Fast XP + slow unlocks
    Seems terrible either way. Not really what I would consider hardcore or casual. And zero incentive for anyone to leave their current TLP server.
  10. code-zero Augur

No matter how they define the rules there will be Krono....

If you want to have all class combinations at the start then you're looking at a TSS start server. As I see it ultra-casual means that people can log either solo or group so there's going to be lots of weak mobs with fairly nice drop rates. Probably True Box

Hard core isn't beating your head against super slow XP but rather the insanity that was early RF with competing boxed armies.
  11. Silinius Augur

This thread is magic. Ya'll realize that they will do what they want to do... not necessarily what you want them to do. Yay! Two new servers! (small letters: which will likely not have a combination of rulesets that you want).
  12. Hdizzle Augur

Guys guys guys… Ragefire did not have instances and pickzones Lol. The box armies (which do very much exist on your sweet truebox servers btw) were super noticeable on Ragefire because everyone didn't have their own instance. Noone cares if someone 36 boxes PoH in their own instance, right?

The only way Ragefire 2.0 gets made is if they go no truebox and no AOC's/pickzones. No 54 wizard murder squad is dropping into your private naggy instance Lol. Also if you are in your weekly naggy instance i'll bet a few krono you weren't going after open world naggy anyway so whats the issue?

They can't police but at least instancing classic-pop eliminated most of the content blocking.

They did a great job teasing these servers btw Lol
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

Part of me thinks they don't even have the server rules set.

That part is 1/1 total parts actually.
    Crayon123 likes this.
  14. Mashef Augur

I would say 6 to 8 players out of several hundred isn't a good % of excitement.

Communicated with a large number of folks who passed on both Phinny/Coirnav and just they aren't excited about those rules as it was too soon since Fippy et al, to just slog through the content.

Somewhere between our discords is probably the norm. Which will just split the community between the servers. But if the difference between ULTRA casual and hardcore is exp rates then DBG didn't pay attention to their players for the last 4 years.
  15. Chillies New Member

Farewell, any signs of a healthy TLP population, it's so filtered and watered down now, these two servers will be ghost towns.
  16. Umul Augur

No reason they can't merge coirnav and phinny when the times right or one stalls. They are identical.

Imagine Coirnav would be a good server for Agnarr toons to transfer too (should they desire) once it hits GoD. They are identical too.

Theoretically they could merge Coirnav, Phinny and allow transfer from Agnarr. Probably the same population as random live server_02.

Curious about this round of release though..
  17. Xeris Augur

Agnarr characters would be crazy overpowered... when GoD drops on Coirnav, Agnarr would have been farmin potime for >1 year. Seems imbalanced and unfair.
  18. Umul Augur

I guess my point is, they have options to give their servers population bumps, minor as they may be. Each TLP server has a server with the same ruleset which would make it a natural pair to merge or offer transfers to.

I'm curious how they differentiate Hardcore and casual servers though.
  19. snailish Augur

what if that is the point? That is to say, these two niche servers aren't aimed at getting people to leave a current server at all? (some will always no matter what the ruleset is). I think these concepts could be aimed more at the currently not subbing to the game but could be brought back players, and those that they figure are about to quit wherever they are anyways.

2 very specific audience servers for the anny. Let everything else bake for another year and you are quite far along even on Coirnav. Then in 2020 they do a server with the wide/large appeal* because the bulk of the progression playerbase will be ready for a start over (whether at classic or slightly later in era).

*which could just be another Phinny but not with slower XP.
  20. Crayon123 Augur

I'd bet money on it. They'll be talking about it soon at their meetings ;)
    MBear likes this.