Work in Progress: Combat Balance

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Spytle, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spytle Executive Creative Director

We surely will.
    • Like x 5
  2. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Because I still hope the game will turn around and become fun again. ANd I'm at work with time to post and it's something to do :p
    • Like x 3
  3. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

^^ very well said.
  4. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

You mean elements like Timing, Intelligence, Reaction and Speed. Could probably get a few more in there too. (you can look back a few pages and see me post that in response to someone who was trying to discount speed as an element of skill).

Point is Speed is an element of skill... and the speed of the game was one of the big draws for people.

If someone's strength is speed vs timing, are they not skilled?

I woudln't say someone who's strength is timing vs speed is not skilled... taht's me and I don't think i'm unskilled, but I can say that every one of the players that goes fast, could easily do what I do as i've seen them do it.
    • Like x 3
  5. Baryon Boy New Player

0.3 is still incredibly short for a 'wind down' animation. I would expect 0.5 to be the shortest window we can expect, possibly even 0.6 or 0.75.
    • Like x 2
  6. thelostczarnian New Player

well i understand arguing your viewpoint but retired? come back from the light bud it aint your time to leave this plane of existence yet lol. what can i say your one of the better yet level headed players on pc villain that i dont want to see go.
  7. Dump Truck New Player

I'm glad to be back btw, thank you guys.
  8. thelostczarnian New Player

i think at one point he said much shorter than 1.0-1.2 thats why im just guessing it will be have that or less. if its over .6 id be shocked
  9. Avian Dedicated Player

I honestly don't understand why people are making such a big deal out of the jump canceling.

I only see this being a problem mainly for HL users. I'm a gadget DPS and I do use the phantom triangle right now, and I'm pretty darn good at it. Just because I'm capable of doing this it doesn't mean that I'm elite or top end, heck I don't even enjoy doing it tbh. I am a 100% sure that when the update to jump canceling hits test, there is going to be atleast 1 DPS guru, for each respective powerset that utilize this method, who will figure out a way to work around this or a new rotation to keep the rest of you top end players happy.

The fact that PT exists makes the DPSing extremely boring because there is really only 1 method that consits of certain powersets and mainly 1 weapon that can do the highest amount of damage.

The only other method that has been able to compete with the above is the Charged attacks that some weapons were/are able to do. Even this method is extremely dull as it just requires that you need to hold 1 button and clip the animation with a power.

There are plenty of cool weapons allready in game which no one uses simply because it isn't what the so called top end players declare to be the best. Why would the devs even bother to come up with ideas for new weapons if no one are going to use them? Or do just need to make a load of rifle replicas?

People keep saying that WM is going to force clip happy players to use it, although it has been mentioned countless times that WM isn't supposed to be better than clipping. They are supposed to be even.

I am looking forward to this new mechanic and honestly... if the people who keep complaining about this actually do decide to leave once it hits test/live then I'd consider it an improvement to the DCUO community.
    • Like x 9
  10. Tikkun Loyal Player

No doubt, I see where you're coming from, but the JC change is only a piece of the rebalance and new weapon mechanics puzzle. That's what this thread is about. :)

Sure it won't completely fix the power type balance issue, but it gives more options so people can be the power type they want and still do decent dps without having to do more costly revamps in the midst of big things like Halls of Power and T6.
    • Like x 1
  11. Spytle Executive Creative Director

You're twisting. You know what I was reacting to. I don't disagree with any of these statements.
    • Like x 5
  12. Dump Truck New Player

f
    I think then you would find that instead of one or two players occasionally complaining about power, you would find entire raids complaining about it.... Especially at critical moments

You have to be mindful if how far you are willing to go... Remove jump cancelling, readjust power out so those dps's get less, what's next? Remove karmic hex and support powers clipping dmg ones? We are talking about clipping being a style of last the developers do not want to force you into to play competitively... But not remove. Going to far is doing exactly what this was supposed to prevent... That is forcing players to play one way.... The exact opposite of what these changes are about.

There is another option to power out... Stop casting recharge unless a healer or tank need it. I'm sure you will find far more enjoyment frustrating us clipping dps's you disdain.
    • Like x 1
  13. RoyalServant New Player

Jump Canceling - Very hot topic. Big part of a lot of rotations so, great time to bring this up.

Why have flight users not received an option to jump/flight cancel while in movement mode? A simple button press of X could increase height and cancel animations.

This is needed for balance. As it stand flight users are the only ones forced to be out of movement mode to jump cancel. So in a fight between a SS and a flight user, the speedy guy has access to jump canceling and inertial flywheel at once while the flight user has no such option. That's unfair.

Will you add this mechanic so that flight users have access to it in movement mode like everyone else?
    • Like x 2
  14. TheMarvel New Player

Just Sayin'

Everything regarding canceling has to be reconciled with the Clipping changes, etc.
  15. Magnificent Loyal Player

Staff's Focus Spin was OP because it was spammable so it was nerfed in two ways:
    1. A timer was placed on it so that you have to wait between the end of one charge session (whether it completed or not) before you could charge up again.
    2. Damage was changed so that if you did a full charge-up, you did (potentially) full damage. If you didn't complete the charge-up then you did damage that was much lower than just normal tap-ranging (ie: no scaling based on how much of a charge you put into it).

Also, Focus Spin also has a Deflect component when charging (I don't think any other weapon has such an effect for charged range, but I could be wrong).

How will the proposed changes effect the aforementioned Staff abilities?
    • Like x 1
  16. Stamen Dedicated Player

How about relaxed vs. competitive players? I can't jump cancel and clip as good as Obsidian Chill or Helios Xenon for the length of an entire raid because I tend to pause and take a sip of beer, respond to a tell, smile and chat with my wife, pet my dog, or check my son's spelling homework while playing.

I prefer a more relaxed style to the hyper-intense 55 buttons mashed per minute play-style. I can do it well when I make myself play this way though. So for me, it's not so much that I can't -- it's just that life happens all around my desk and after a hard day of work, I don't want to come into a game and make my body move at 90mph.

Again, I can't do it as well as others but that is mostly because I can't muster the focus and consistency -- the ability is there, albeit with a 45 year old man's vision and reflexes. If I was 30 again, you cats would be in trouble! :)

That said, I do have MUCH respect for those who do like to play full throttle. They are some of my most favorite people in the player community.
    • Like x 7
  17. thelostczarnian New Player

[IMG]you may proceed:D
  18. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Because flight is already a crazy positional advantage. Jump canceling mid air above the fight would be beyond the pale.
    • Like x 5
  19. TheMarvel New Player

Just for the sake of discussion, you are clear on the differences between Clipping and Canceling? Few care about Clipping … Canceling is where much of the debate comes from.
  20. Baryon Boy New Player

Press F. Now you can jump cancel. You're welcome.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.