The Strategist Card & Its Proc

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by El Guapo, May 26, 2020.

1. El Guapo Well-Known Player

Just picking everyone's brain on this.

It says upon achieving a critical hit on a target there is a chance to apply tactical advantage on the target based on ability used.
    I've gotten it leveled to 120 so far and was playing around with it seeing what "ability" procs it. I'ts on my fire character & so far the only thing proc-ing the thing is heat vision lol, and not even it's initial damage only the ticks from heat vision. I'm running through all the dps powers worth a damn in the fire set and NOTHING is setting it off except heat vision. Is this intended? Anyone in other powersets experiencing the same thing? Maybe im not understanding something, or it needs to be higher (then why put it in game if its useless under 160)?

Thoughts? Advice? Info all appreciated.
  2. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Now you mention it, I was spamming Horrific Visage on a dummy to build supercharge while a group was being made and it didn’t proc once. I just assumed it was just RNG being really stubborn, but now you’ve said this, hmmmm...
  3. Perdition Committed Player

You will start to notice it when you get it to 160, because that will double the proc chance. You will also see it proc more often on powers or weapon attacks which have multiple hits attached to them. Flurry for example, or heat-vision, rail guns, absorb heat, etc... i’ve seen it proc plenty at 160. At 120 i wouldnt recommend it, then you are better of using the grim or any other artifact for that matter.
    • Like x 1
  4. El Guapo Well-Known Player

Yeah i noticed my dps has gone down since using it currently where it is in rank. At the time i posted this i had been playing around with it at the dummies for 20-25 minutes. It took a long time but finally some of the other powers started setting it off as well. Absorb heat, inferno, occasional fireburst and even mass det set it off 1 time lol. Guess im gonna have to wait on a sale to get completion seals or another unstable seal giveaway, im NOT buying from market.
    • Like x 1
  5. Illumin411 Loyal Player

On a different but related note, I’m wondering what procs it when being used as a troll or healer artifact. Do damage crits proc the Hot or Pot? I remember that discussion being held in the Developer Discussion section when the artifacts were on test server and first released but I think those threads have been deleted.
  6. Schimaera Devoted Player

Damage -> chance to proc DoT
    Power Out -> Chance to proc PoT
    Healing Out -> Chance to proc HoT

That being so, every power/playstyle that has more "hits" per second can proc the Artifact more regularly. Like in, Nature gets the HoT pretty easy and you can wait quite a while to proc the PoT with the Claw of Aelkhünd equippend ^^
    • Like x 3
  7. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I did test it a while back. The procs are not role exclusive. As a healer I was getting both damage procs from it as well as healing procs. Same thing when I tested it on fire tanking. I did get some damage procs and healing procs. The main thing to keep in mind is if you have enough crit chance. For example. If you are a healer but don’t have any sp invested in crit damage chance than you won’t be getting much procs. Even for trolling I was able to get it to proc with the bop artifacts little crit ticks. Thou the trolling test was done on test before it went live so that will need to be retested
    • Like x 2
  8. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

Unlike other artifacts in the game (Grim) The Strat Card really should be leveled up to Rank 200. If not, you're really not taking full advantage of it. You get double the chance of a Tactical Advantage at 160 and the potency of Tactical Advantage will increase by 30% at 200.

I'm Munitions, and this Artifact paired with the Transformation card (higher chances of critting) makes all the difference in the world.

Why put it in the game if it isn't any good under 160? Because they want you to invest either the time or money to rank it up. Come on... this game is all about the grind. It's what keeps players coming back day after day.
    • Like x 3
  9. El Guapo Well-Known Player

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a grind, all the artifacts at 200 you're taking full advantage but some artifacts are at least really helpful at 120 and i was just surprised at how "bleh" it was. There are like 20 artifacts in the game now and its just frustrating discovering whats useful at what rank compared to others. This is the 1st one i have come across that has been VERY underwhelming and made me feel almost like i wasted xp on.
  10. Maxwill Committed Player

Yes the proc chance is too low ! grimorum rank120 is probably better than strategist rank 160
  11. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Personally I think the strategist is really only worth using at 160+, and with transformation.

Also, it helps to have a DoT, or HoT running to increase your chances of getting it to proc, as you've got something constant going that has a high chance of crit.

The more hits, the better the chance.
    • Like x 1
  12. Littlejaytee16 Committed Player

I feel you 100%. Some artifacts you feel that difference at 80 and it gradually gets better and often times you don't even have to get it maxed out. The Grim is like that. But the Strat card suffers from what I would call The Ugly Duckling syndrome. It's bleh in the beginning... but by the end, it is very good.

Side note: If you have decided not to continue leveling it up, wait till we have another Double Nth Metal XP weekend. Then feed it into whatever artifact you're leveling up at the time. At least that way you wouldn't have lost the XP, only the catalysts.
    • Like x 1
  13. Roocck Committed Player

I am very confused with strategist card proc, I am a munitions with 400sp, 304cr, last week I have decided to work on my arts and have trans art at almost 180, solar at almost 180 and strategist card at almost 180 and have been working on my loadout to proc either cards and have not been successful. Have not been able to proc not once yet, is there something wrong here or do I have to have them at 180 to see them proc? If I recall once the card proc you should see it above your targets head, in my case I have not been able to see it yet!!!!
  14. Great Architect Loyal Player

No threads in the "Dev" portion are deleted. Only those outside of "Daily Plante News", and only then for specific reasons. The thread might have been merged, if you can't find it?
  15. Great Architect Loyal Player

Strategist only procs on Crits. Therefore, if you aren't getting crits, it is useless. Transformation increases the chance of a crit.

To optimise both you need hard-hitting powers that have multiple hits (and so multiple chances to crit) in a short period of time. Unsurprisingly, Heat Vision is one of those powers.

Basically, I would not run the Strategist 160 over Solar 160 and a relevant Critical Head Mod - even if Heat Vision was not on my loadout - UNLESS I was packing multiple DoTs that had some value outside of their initial hit.

What is your power set?
  16. Great Architect Loyal Player

I'm also not sure that an 4/8-second window is anything to write home about for a DoT - no matter how good that DoT may be.

If things aren't dead from the crits from Trans, and your teammates, then when will they be?

I'm sure this artifact has a place - just not in the current Meta.
  17. Roocck Committed Player

I am a Munitions, what I don’t understand is how is it possible that using Shrapnel Grenade, Five Barrel, Heat Vision and Rally Gun with Venom Boost as my loadout not getting any carita for the last 1weeks. This morning I did all my dailies, alert and CTR raid and not one proc. Interested!!!! Seems that I will have to put in 50 cal and Mini Nuke in my loadout to try this out, this reminds me of the AM era, using one specific loadout to maximize your damage.... lol
  18. JWellens Level 30

I have a question about how the proc is prioritized. I noticed when looking at my combat log that Arc Lightning proc'd the Strategist card on the heal of Arc Lightning and not the damage. Is it totally random what procs with that move that both damages and heals? And if so, does it have the option to double up and proc both the HoT and DoT at the same time? Or does it only proc once and whatever you get is what you get?
  19. Algizveig New Player

I didn't want to create a new thread so I'm using this one. I have the Transformation Card (160) and Strategist Card (160). I thought if you got a crtical heal you could get tactical advantage. I double checked my artifact and I was wrong, it is only proced when you get a crtical hit. Is it still worth having? I have a Celestial healing powerset and I have hand blasters. I do tend to use pulse beam when I attack though. Currently I have a 25% chance of getting a critical hit. My focus is healing, so I don't know any other way of increasing my critical chance.

Any thoughts?
  20. Algizveig New Player

By the way it is totally worth it. I checked my combat logs and I was getting Tactical Advantage on a regular basis. The thing is Celestial has heal and damage combos and DoT moves, so that's probably why it proces so much.