The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

The Anime News Network site lists the English title as Captain Future.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1237

They're pretty thorough there with their encyclopedia entries and will list the title of a show in multiple languages, so a search of a title in any language on their site should work. You know, just in case someone isn't around to answer (I do have a bad habit of neglecting this thread from time to time LOL).
  2. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Thank you, wasn't in a hurry to find out, just came across the trailer somewhere and was wondering what it was in English :D
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

New season, new shows.

Love Tyrant- In a word? Bonkers. Four episodes in and the male protagonist is now dealing with a cupid who likes yaoi, a yandere, the yandere's blood-related sister who is in love with the yandere and an out-and-out sadist. Oh, and the protagonist had to save his younger sister from a demonic penguin. :D Funimation is doing a simuldub and the casting for Seiji and Guri is about perfect, reuniting Austin Tindle and Jad Saxton (performed opposite one another in the English dub of the Is This A Zombie? series).

Tsukigakirei- Just about the polar opposite of Love Tyrant. LOL It's a very quiet, slow paced teen/young adult first love story so far. Beautifully animated though, and pretty honest (for lack of a better term).

Seven Mortal Sins- Fan service, pure and simple. The Seven Deadly Sins, with character designs by the Queen's Blade folks and animated by the studio behind High School DxD.

What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (or WorldEnd or SukaSuka)- Yes, that's the full title. :confused: Despite the long title it's an interesting show. The reveals about the show's world have been well-paced and the character dynamics have some twists from what you'd expect from the setting.

Still haven't checked out Alice and Zoroku or KADO: The Right Answer, though.
  4. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Well it seems hardcore Berserk fans can now get their own dragonslayer sword from a real life Godo
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Two bits today. First, one more show I forgot from the new season, Tsugumomo.

Kind of an odd duck, really. The designs and story seem straight out of shows from the past. Even the humor has a definite retro feel to it. But even with the whole retro feel, it's been one that has me interested so far. On top of that, the fight sequences (especially in the first two episodes) were beautifully animated and worth taking the time to watch. The only downside I can see is that some of the story direction looks like it'll follow the typical patterns, but who knows, maybe they'll switch things up a bit.

Second is a show I found while searching through some of Crunchyroll's titles, Seitokai Yakuindomo*. The * is for the second season of it (no first season that I could find on their service). It's a slice-of-life show of sorts, with a dash of harem romance and a LOT of crude improper humor along the lines of Shimoneta. I have to give the show credit, too, because over the course of the series those kinds of jokes can get worn out quick, but bless them (I think? lol) for managing to keep it going all the way through. It's weird on the animation but fun as well, because there's some artwork and scenes that are wonderfully done (city backgrounds in particular are fantastic) and then you go to crude drawings of the characters (especially on comedic beats). If you liked the humor in Shimoneta it's worth a watch.
  6. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid live action? :eek:
    • Like x 2
  7. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

Some of my favorites:
    1. Naruto Shippudden
    2. Bleach
    3. Death Note
    4. Future Diary
    5. Saga of Tanya the Evil
    6. Code Geass
    7. Akuma No Riddle (Riddle Story of Devil)
    8 A Certain Scientific Railgun
    9. A Certain Magical Index
    10. Dragon Ball Z
    11. Dragon Ball Super
    12. Hu Hu Hakusho
    13. Inyasha
    14. Elfin Lied
    15 Cowboy Bebop
    16. Teen Titans
    17. Young Justice
    And many many more
  8. Drifting Dreamer Steadfast Player

You should all watch Magi.
    If you aren't watching Magi why?
    Start with Magi: The Laberynth of Magic.
    You should be watching Magi.
    Why are you still reading this? Go watch Magi!
    Once you start watching Magi, you can thank me here
    -:D
  9. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wow, they went to a lot of effort to get it looking perfect, now if only HolyWeird would put in half as much effort for their ripoffs adaptations :p
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Hey Everyone
    So this is an open question to anyone who is watching the new season of Berserk. While the 3D animation is not to my taste, I have stuck to the show because this season in my opinion has improved since last season and for some reason the studio released season 1 on Blu-Ray uncut with improved animation. Still, nonetheless, the question is are you enjoying the season? Because, next episode will continue to a part of the manga where one should not miss

hint hint
  11. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Just some random anime fun :D

• Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I was sold on the first one just with the image of Kanna and Umaru side-by-side, but the attack at the end? :D
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

14. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I heard about this. I remember the talk about a live action movie with Keanu Reeves attached for the role of Spike a while back but that fizzled into nothing. Now with the possibility of a live action tv show?...as much as I like the idea, if I wanted to watch a Cowboy Bebop tv series, I'd watch the anime which is iconic. Not to mention the series will be in my opinion hindered due to the budget for a tv series compared to a movie. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  15. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

:mad: OK. I am quite livid. Besides the last episode being a recap which prolonged the epic fight between Guts, the Black Swordsman and Grunbeld, but when I finally see the episode, the animation is the worse. I understand the animation team behind the show is limited to their budget but seriously how is the Berserk game looking better than the anime :confused:
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I don't follow the show, but I had been seeing some frustrations and concerns about the animation quality showing up in some of the ANN review taglines. It's always frustrating when that happens, especially if it's a show you like or want to see succeed.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I do have to say it officially now: My Hero Academia has hooked me.

I watched a good chunk of the first season but stopped right before the end for some reason, so I took the time to binge through the first season and got caught up on the second season. The sports festival was fun to watch to begin with, but the battle between Todoroki and Midoria sealed the deal.

And it wasn't just the action. The set up for it and the way all the associated and various conflicts played out (even in the post-fight episode) was done really well.
    • Like x 1
  18. Lt Skymaster Dedicated Player

Yeah that anime is really good, In fact I got so hooked last season I decided I had to read the manga, I'm up to date in the manga and the things to come without spoiling anything, are pretty dam awesome. Yesterday's episode was really good.

Also I'm watching at this moment Attack on Titan season 2 and it's as good or better than the first season, pretty dam intense. You don't have a moment to breathe you're basically always on the edge of the seat at the end of the episode.

Last but not least I'm watching Dragon ball super and while some of the arcs have been somewhat bad this last one is doing a pretty good job and mostly into going back to the old Dragon ball z style.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well spring shows are starting to wind up. So that means some overviews of shows from me are coming.
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, didn't have time to start my first "review/overview" of the spring shows this morning, so here we go! :p

Tsugumomo finished up, and overall it's a decent show, but I'm not sure it's one I could wholeheartedly recommend.

The story, world-building, action and animation of the show were all well done. You do get some of the clichés you might expect but they follow the rules they set in the show pretty well. The action scenes were really well done and the fight in the last two episodes had me psyched up to see how it turned out (the only other show to do that so far in the spring season is My Hero Academia). Finally they planted a lot of little story seeds throughout the season which I wouldn't mind seeing play out in a future season.

The problem is the crude, kind of dated and surprising sexually charged humor. I know it's par for the course with anime, but sometimes it just misses the mark, What doesn't help is that the human cast looks to be (for the most part) middle school age, and while kids at that age aren't blindly ignorant of that kind of stuff it seems a little out of place with the setting, especially with the character designs they went with. To their credit they do have the main character addressing some of that stuff in a surprisingly mature manner, but the whole thing can easily test a viewer's comfort zone.

The action is worth checking out, but it depends on your tolerance for the humor to get to it.