The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Quick "maybe" wrap up, as I can't seem to definitively find the number of episodes in the show, but the most recent episode seemed like an "end of season" episode so here we go.

Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose was something of an odd watch. The premise is right there in the title, so you know what you're getting into. Well, at least you think so until you meet all the girls. LOL

Semi-cryptic spoiler avoidance aside, the odd part is the tone. While you get the usual romcom shenanigans, there's more than a few serious moments. But even setting those aside, some of the romantic elements get presented as bittersweet a surprising number of times. I won't say the shifts in tone are jarring, but they do keep you on your toes a bit and I'm not entirely sure it works all the time.

The other problem I had with the show is some of the exposition dumps by the main character's friend. They're usually done after some significant event and are done with the friend talking to another involved male of some significance. The problem? Two of the ladies vying for the main character's affection get referred to by both nicknames and their regular names at times, and it gets confusing. Had they done something like quick cuts to the girls while talking about that young lady it might have worked better. But there were times where it felt like I needed a flowchart or something to remind myself about who was being talked about.

All in all it's not a terrible show, but it does have some flaws. If you can look past them or if they just don't bug you like they did me, it's worth a look. At the very least I didn't regret watching it, I just think it could have been a little better. :)
    • Like x 1
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

4. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

by TRIGGER

vvvvv
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Saw the production I.G. logo in there as well, so that's two solid studios tapped for sure. Hopefully this is something that can continue, I wouldn't mind seeing some efforts from J.C. Staff at least and (in a dream scenario) maybe Kyoto Animation.
  6. LucasGill New Player

You can Watch all Those animes
    Sekirei
    Omamori Himari
    Vampire Knight
    Freezing
    Heaven's Lost Property
    • Like x 1
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

So stuff from the new season I'm giving a try.

Girlfriend Girlfriend-This one has the potential of being more than what it seems, but there are some obstacles to overcome. Premise is this, from ANN: Naoya just got a girlfriend, the gorgeous Saki-chan, and though their intensities often pit them against each other like ice and fire, they're totally, uncontrollably in love with each other. He vows never to cheat...when out of the blue he receives another confession. Nagisa's cute, sweet, and she's made him lunch to boot. He knows he can't cheat, but he can't let a cutie like this get away...so he does the logical thing: Asks Saki for permission to date them both.

It's got harem and romcom elements to it, but the comedy tends to be Saki yelling (a LOT) and punching Naoya so that can get a little tiresome. But Naoya isn't coming from a lecherous frame of mind in this, he genuinely cares for both girls and is simply super honest about his feelings. Watching the relationships develop between all three (Saki isn't immune to Nagisa's charms, surprisingly) has been pretty interesting over the first few episodes, so if you can get past the yelling for humor it might be worth your time.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S-Duh, like I wouldn't be watching this one after loving season 1. LOL The pace of the episodes seems a little faster to me than the first season, but otherwise more of the same.

The Honor Student at Magic High School-The events of The Irregular at Magic High School but seen from the perspective of Miyuki and her group of friends. Having watched Irregular helps a lot, but they are doing a decent job of character development on characters that didn't see as much screen time in the original series. Worth a look if you liked Irregular.

How A Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom-One of two isekai shows I'm checking. It's been interesting so far, even if it is a lot of talking. LOL It hits a few usual beats you'd see from isekai shows but it's doing just enough different things that it has my attention.

Tsukimichi -Moonlight Fantasy- This has more of the typical isekai trappings (overpowered hero, transported unexpectedly, gaining something of a harem) but they're having more of a fun little poke at the genre. The main character is actually the son of a couple who came FROM another world to Japan, and as payment the goddess who sent them asked for what was most precious to them, and to help make sure his sisters didn't get sent in his place he agrees to go. But the goddess thinks he's ugly and unworthy, so he gets exiled to the farthest reaches of the world and given the ability to speak and understand the languages of everything BUT humans.

Yeah, she's kind of a tool. LOL Anyhow, like I said they have been poking a bit at the genre so there is humor to be had but I wouldn't be surprised to see some development and backstory for the main character. There's some stuff hinted at in the openings and the first episode that could lead to some interesting storytelling.

I may check out Seirei Gensouki- Spirit Chronicles and The aquatope on white sand later on, and the new season of I'm Standing on 1,000,000 Lives has also started up.
    • Like x 1
  10. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Why do I love the new season of Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid?

The first thirty seconds or so of this clip explains it all. :D

• Like x 1
  11. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Restaurant to Another World Season 2

• Like x 2
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Loved the first season and followed the manga for a while on Crunchyroll's manga app but let that slip a bit when I kept getting weird glitches in chapters. I may pick it back up to refresh my memory and see what they might adapt for the next season.
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1
  14. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

If that's from the show I think it's from, I almost wanted to check it out, but from reading the description I was afraid it might hit a little too uncomfortably close to home. LOL
  16. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

this might be the funniest anime of the season, IT REALLY HITS HOME.
  17. Arwen Skywalker Loyal Player

Noteable works from the 7 studios.

Kamikaze Douga - JoJo, Ninja Batman
    Twin Engine subsidiaries: Geno Studio and Studio Colorido - Dive!!! Dororo, Vinland Saga, Babylon
    Studio Trigger - Kill la Kill! Darling in the Franxx! SSSS: Gridman/Dynazenon
    Kinema Citrus - Shield Hero because RAPHTALIA, Under the Dog, .hack//
    Science SARU - lol Crayon Shin-Chan!, Japan Sinks, Space Dandy, Devilman Crybaby
    Production I.G. - Blood+, Psycho Pass, Haikyu, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex/Arise, FLCL (Fooly Cooly)

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  18. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's not even out yet and I already want to see more seasons. :D
    • Like x 2
  19. DCUO Post Loyal Player

20. willflynne 10000 Post Club