Tech, Meta & Magic

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Tskales, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Tskales Well-Known Player

As far as new powers are concerned, wouldn't it be better to have more powers that fall under tech and magic?

I don't know if these categories are redundant now, but there is only gadgets(arguably power rings as well) that falls under tech, and sorcery which falls under magic. Meta on the other hand has fire, ice, earth, nature, quantum, electric and mental.

I'm thinking that having additions such as holy/shadow for magic, and something like cybernetics or ballistics for tech would be the way to go.
    • Like x 2
  2. Lynx Committed Player

Seems to me that nature is more of a magic power than meta. Other than that, though, I agree.

I'm still hoping for a radiation/atomic/nuclear powerset, which could easily fall under tech.

Technically (lolpun), fire or ice could both fall under tech or meta. Mr. Freeze's ice attacks all come from his equipment, not himself.
    • Like x 1
  3. TristenLL New Player

No chance for those powers they are too much like quantam
  4. Minnion Devoted Player

Couldn't mental fall under magic? (Pretty sure Raven is Mental, right?)
    • Like x 1
  5. Lynx Committed Player

uh, no, they have nothing in common. Gravity and time vs atomic structure and radioactive energy
  6. TristenLL New Player

atomic and nuclear and quantams graphics would be too much alike to ever see them in the game
  7. Prodigy_Deity New Player

i felt quantum was tech.I mean they show lex and batman using tech to go back in time. why would that be a power?
  8. Echephyle New Player

The only power that should purely be magic is sorcery and the only power that should purely be tech is gadgets. Everything else is a gray area. But what the hell do i care? I have a tech hero who uses sorcery and a magic hero who uses gadgets, just to be different
  9. REEEPR New Player

Technically, Gadget and Hard light powers can't be given by exobytes. They don't come from the persons body like Meta powers do. Big hole in the plot for me but i'm not complaining :)
  10. Greenman_x Steadfast Player

I think that this idea kinda went out the window the day the game came out and I could make a Gadgets powered toon with a Magic mentor and a Sorcery powered toon with a Tech mentor...
  11. Gwalir Loyal Player

I agree there could be more Magic and Tech in the game, though I believe Meta should be the majority since that is in the comics though.

In the thread in my signature is a list of 11 powersets, including two new ones each for Magic and Tech, including one for each of the roles that aren't already represented by Tech or Magic.
  12. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Gadgets as Magic = Ancient/Advanced technology that also incorporates magical inscriptions to produce secondary effects
    e.g. Taser Pull is actually just a piece of rope attached to a device that causes it to attach and pull opponents in. The electric effect, however, is magical in nature.

Sorcery as Tech = Nearly the same as above. Devices that open portals for demon summoning, calculating and altering luck come into mind. Although it's a Marvel comic example, Doctor Doom managed this feat.

Gadgets as Meta = The actual superpower is super intelligence, which in turn allows construction of advanced technological feats.\

Sorcery as Meta = ...no idea. Your movement powers could be what made you Meta though.
    • Like x 1
  13. Gwalir Loyal Player

I always figured that the Mentors are just that, a mentor. It's like how Steel probably has Superman as a Mentor, despite Steel being a Tech-type character.
  14. xhalur Well-Known Player

Why worry about categories for current and future powersets? All powersets can be Tech. All powersets can be Meta. All powersets can be Magic. That's how it should be. It's not even really about the powersets themselves per se, but more about how they are used by the individual.

Fire is a perfect example in this scenario. With fire, you have guys like Firefly that use Tech-based objects and weapons to create fire, Fire who became a Metahuman with a pyroplasmic body and pyrokinetic powers, and Etrigan who is able to create and use Magical, demonic fire.

All anyone has to do is use their imagination when creating a character and you'll find that you'll worry a lot less about which powerset fits which category. They all fit. ;)
    • Like x 1
  15. Drift Hazard Dedicated Player

Sorcery as a meta power still eludes my imagination though. Haha. But this is true. I once made a Magic Villain using Gadgets and for his backstory, he was actually an android built by his creator who worked for Circe. While the android proved to be a useful tool for Circe, the creator, however, was turned into a beastiamorph for not being a magical character.
    • Like x 1
  16. xhalur Well-Known Player

I'll admit that a Meta Sorcery-user had me stymied at first, but I thought of a scenario for it:

What if the Meta Sorcery-user was the descendant of another Magical character? That way there would still be a Magical connection, but it would become diluted enough that it wouldn't be too heavily magical and he/she would thus have their Sorcery powers become imprinted within their own genetic material instead (genetically-gifted abilities being Meta)? It's a bit far-fetched and probably has some flaws to it, but it's what I can come up with on a short notice. ;)

I don't want to hijack this thread with a whole bunch of character ideas though, but if you need or want me to come up with anymore, you can always send me a PM.

...Now back to the OP and the topic at hand: don't sweat the small stuff. And this is definitely small stuff in the grand scheme of things.
  17. CypherXone Committed Player

Revisited: Powersets
    Tank:Earth: Geokinesis and SeismicIce: Cryogenics and StormsFire: Immolation and IgitionEthereal: Heavenly & DarknessMolecular: Malleable and Enthalpy
    ControllerQuantum: Time and SpaceGadgets: Tricks and TrapsLight: Assault and SupportMental: Telepathy and IllusionsAnimals: Mimicry and Communion
    HealerNature: Arborkineses and SporesSorcery: Summoning and DestinyElectricity Voltage and AmperageAtomic: Isotopic and NuclearKinematic: Sound and Force
  18. Gwalir Loyal Player

For a Meta-Sorcery, how about something akin to the Scarlet Witch? She's a Mutant whose powers resemble magic effects, so would that do?
  19. Adamwiseguy New Player

I always saw Sorcery as being reality alteration (probability manipulation, warping away injuries, ripping dimensional holes etc.).

Kind of like Ace from the Royal Flush Gang (DC Animated Universe)

So for a Sorcery Tech toon, they could be using a reality manipulating device. Meta Sorcery toons could have reality altering powers.
  20. Lynx Committed Player

No. Atomic was a power in beta, and several of its abilities are still used by npcs. They're a yellow-green. Color.