Stats Revamp 1.7

Discussion in 'Stats Revamp Archive' started by Avair, Jun 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try and see if there's enough time now (since powers heal less and restore less power, we're forced to spam more than on live) to get off some weapon mastery combos or something to regen power the hybrid way for comparison. Again, appreciate you communicating this to us.
  2. BumblingB I got better.

We spent 7.5 iterations balancing play styles. Come to find out, it was only for the damage role, when other roles could benefit from different play styles.
    • Like x 2
  3. Surtur Well-Known Player

This is exactly why power needs to be a separate stat. There are four roles in this game and the Devs keep pandering to one role........THE DPS ROLE.

Either remove power from might or add power to vit, dom & resto.
    • Like x 1
  4. stärnbock Devoted Player

i think the issue is still that you dont rise with gear stats enough in power, while the power consume is geting worse with each gear rise
    • Like x 1
  5. Celestial Powers Committed Player

All of the healers are struggling but not in the way you're thinking, when I mean can't hit a weapon tap I mean, say we're fighting Gentleman Ghost at CR201 Ultimate Soldier Normal Mode, my power bar is 100%, Gentleman Ghost splits into four and one of the clones teleports to 3-4 bunched up, hits them and they fall to 40% life.

None of my abilities are going to straight up have to potency to help recover them from 13257 HP back to 33143 so I have to clip multiple abilities in succession, I'll use nature as an example. Savage Growth, 300 Power Cost, total healing potential 4k after 12ticks, targets 8 people, Metabolism, 450 Power Cost, total healing potential 11k after 23ticks go off, targets four people. I've spent 750 Power which is roughly 50-55% of my total power bar in less than a second and they won't even be close to full life, also because these are HoTs, they aren't going to receive the full healing immediately and because Gentleman Ghost has teleported next to them there's a possibility he may do a further follow up attack on them.

Meanwhile the tank is also taking fairly decent damage from the other 3 clones and because everyone has had something effect them no one was able to reach the consoles so the fire mechanic goes off, the fire hurts, I remember it was registering for 3-4k per tick and the room you have to avoid it is minimal because you're trying to ensure that your not a target for Ghosts next teleport. I have to deal with this with both Savage Growth and Metabolism just barely coming off cooldown, I pop my 300 cost shield and use my 300 cost flourish to provide a burst of about 4k to everyone and then I hit Savage Growth again, this all takes up 60% of my power bar to which I can follow up with Blossom or Roar, Blossom ends up doing barely any healing right now because I assume it's bugged (4.5k priority heal and then 2k off the pheromone leverage), I've spent 60% of my power bar to recover not even half of someones total health bar.

All of this can happen in less than a blink of an eye, but my power will only passively recover about 10-20% from the time all this occurs and the controllers are also struggling with the entire groups power, not just mine.

Again I have a post coming up which will in detail address all the issues and follow up with some of my explanations here. It's a mix of both power costs being ludicrous and the output of healing not being enough for the cost.
    • Like x 5
  6. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

Considering a lot of the people responding to you actually test diligently, and have been for a very long time. I think you should be putting more consideration into the feedback you all are getting instead of disregarding it. Heals are weak compared to the HP pools especially that of a tank which creates the need to use more abilities which kills the power pool beyond the trolls repair. I'm going to agree with Fatal and CaptainCold you're gonna have to show us if you want us to believe you. As someone who solo heals on test regularly as well as tanking I just don't see your point of view.
    • Like x 2
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think this is the general disconnect. As you progress, your ability behind-the-scenes is more powerful and more effective. In other games, you might have a more obvious path here. Heal I becomes Heal II. Heal II does more healing than Heal I, and also costs more power.

In DCUO, we don't make you go through that process. Your ability automatically gets better as you level, your heal does more healing and costs more power. You generally don't notice the cost difference because you are progressing your stats in tandem in all the other ways that are not gear. You have that baseline and you have advantages, and if you *stop* progressing your stats, you are abandoning the advantages you had.

I am not in any way discounting that there may be adjustments needed to the numbers in how costs are scaling. We are examining this feedback. However, it is difficult to have that conversation and drill down on the details when the majority of the posts are about how power costs shouldn't scale at all. Hence this post. Thanks for keeping it civil, most of you!
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think I see where you are coming from, and we are discussing. At some point though, is there a point in your mind where you can't heal everyone up without issue? Like, if half the team is grouped up and gets hit by an AoE, should that problem be one a healer covers without issue, or should that be a problem solved by the team playing differently? If so, what are your expectations?
    • Like x 4
  9. stärnbock Devoted Player

also: we need a prefab vendor, or anything similar for our alts, please! the stuff needed for mods are an unbearable lot for alts...
    • Like x 2
  10. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Yeah, the overall cost/scaling discussion just focuses on the way power costs go up as your CR increases, but the amount of stats you gain from SP has a limit.

This is mostly hypothetical, of course, just because of conditions on test server. The argument goes like this.

If I'm CR 60, my power costs for abilities are very low. But I can invest a ton of SP into might, and my power will be off the charts. Now, is this realistic? Not for most people actually on live. How many players are at CR 60 and have 230 SP? But the point stands, CR dictating power costs is a problem.

At CR 203, my power costs are extremely high, but my gear doesn't provide the might stats I need to compensate. Even modding might/power, power generator mods, etc. Of course, with OP pieces, it's a totally different story.

What can we do about it? No idea. If you calculate power costs based on the amount of might you have, it doesn't solve things either because people with low might would also have lower costs, meaning investing SP into might wouldn't make much sense either (except for damage). You would either need to make the SP-invested power gains exponential by CR (at CR 60, 1 SP invested gives you 5 power, at 201 it gives you 20, etc.) or make our Power Mastery do the same thing (multiply the SP-invested power). That's the only idea I can think of.

Otherwise PftT will always be possible only by people who have all the OP pieces. With most powers, that would be fine, but all combo players (light, rage, celestial, atomic) will be furious.
    • Like x 1
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is a great question. I guess it depends on content design forward. If it's an AoE that's avoidable, it's not really on the healer. But we'll still get kicked, lol. Forcing the group to actually respect the mechanics is a wonderful goal that I would love to see in this game. Not sure if people will learn to play or not, but I hope so.
  12. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

No offense, but I think the disconnect lies more on your end then ours. No one is saying power costs shouldn't scale at all, we're saying it should scale solely based on CR, no mods or SP included, those should just be additions need to help fortify your playstyle to the best it can be.

Example, say you want to PFtT. A person at 201 cr with no mods and only enough sp to get crit attack innates should be able to do it, but at the very bare minimum as in relying on colas with two trolls in the group. Now say that person has 240 sp and all special force mods. They should have very little issues with power when PFtT'ing. Currently that's not the case and quite a few powers struggle with it while maxed out on everything.

You compared test to live earlier with support role play style, here's a comparison for you: the amount of people on live that actually have 240 sp+ and all their special forces mods completed, in comparison to what is required to max out your play style in the revamp?
    • Like x 8
  13. stärnbock Devoted Player

QUESTION:
    can we have an insight in the calculation formula?
    i mean, you just never see anything like that mentioned ingame,
    except the stats you can gain with SP, mods and gear...
    never is stated the rise in power costs... AT ALL!
  14. spack2k Steadfast Player

i dont think anyone here would want that, the scale of power cost need to be there like every other benefits of stat scales but no ability should take more than 10% of ones power pool regardless of the cr.
    • Like x 1
  15. Celestial Powers Committed Player

I'm just going to try and compare this to live servers slightly, when someone in my group screws up, stands in the wrong place / does something that jeopardizes them that isn't a one shot I can save them, this is me, my individual player skill after playing the role for X years, on test it's pretty much impossible to do this because I'm weaker in every way possible, power cost, healing output, cooldown restrictions some power sets have also completely changed and have restrictions that need to worked out.

My reaction time is what determines how well things go but on test, I'm not really rewarded for it so people do have to play more cautiously because one tiny misstep is much more punishing than it is on the live server and how you would go about recovering from it unless you perfect the way to play is fairly impossible. There is a lack of reward of being a healer on test right now, I'm bound by so many things and I can't really do much about it. Doing Ultimate Solider normal at CR201 with 230-240SP is an infinitely bigger of a chore than it is on the live servers at entry CR.

For me, all these restrictions make it so I'm not as effective as I was, this isn't solely due to healing strength but because of things like power, cooldowns, range on certain abilities and changes on certain power sets which still need to be ironed out.

From how Healers are on live, the way it was, powers, power costs, playstyle etc didn't need to be changed. All that needed to occur was a decrease in restoration, and minor tweaks to Sorcery and Electric as well as the removal of Nature Bugs Power back. A big reason as to why a lot of Solo Healers came about was because of Natures Bug Power back form, the power back from it was way too strong, to the point where spamming was a genuine playstyle with it, you weren't punished.

Lastly, if there are no more one shots then keeping people alive is all the more reason a healers job to do well, because everything should be healable, this is pretty much impossible now unless I chug on my colas, have back to back troll supercharges or have my sidekick or a supply drop at any one point of these times.
    • Like x 5
  16. Charmed Legacy Dedicated Player

If you never run a piece of a content and never factor in other variables healing doesn’t seem to be in a bad place. On paper looking only at the numbers produced from the Bursts and HoTs they don’t seem that bad off. Now let’s start looking at those other factors that some have not taken into account. Since I also tank I will give you my examples from these 2 PoV’s.

· As an Atomic tank fully modded I have 55,228 base HP.

· My healer has a base Restoration of 15,258 and base Dominance of 73

· The healing formula is 30% Restoration & 25% Dominance

· HoTs for all powersets are roughly between 390-1500 depending which is used

I’m going to give you some examples to make this easier to follow. You’re in a boss fight and then a mass AOE happens that strips 50% of the groups HP. Keep in mind majority of the group will not be on full HP when this happens so this will put the group at roughly 20-30% HP when the AOE happens. Your tank who has 55,228 HP has just been brought down to 30% HP which is majority of their HP pool. You hit Divine Light to assist your suffering tank and group members. It bursts for 7036 then produces a HoT of 452 for 6 ticks. The tank was around 17k HP from the AOE damage so the burst from Divine Light brought the tank back up to 23k HP. The HoT from Divine Light would then tick adding an additional 2712 HP for the tank bringing them to almost 26k HP. Keep in mind while this heal is being applied the tank is continuing to take/mitigate damage so ideally, they will not hit the full 26k HP which isn’t even half of their HP pool.

At this point it creates a need for a more spammy type of healing to get the tank/group’s HP back where it needs to be, while continuing to attempt to mitigate the damage to the group using HoTs. Now we venture into the next problem…Spam you say? Let’s look at power costs, Divine Light is a 450 power cost which translates to 14,071 (at CR 201). My power pool is 45,150 on my healer, and that’s with having Special Forces Power generator mods. So to sum this up you’re using 1/3 of you’re power bar to “attempt” to save your group and it fails miserably. Now you need to apply the rest of your Burst HoTs so continue bringing the group’s HP back where it needs to be while mitigating the damage. Once you apply 2 more Burst HoTs you have officially ended your power supply, considering the others are 300 power costs which translates to 9,381.

In short there are 2 main problems regarding balance and healing in general.

1. HoTs and Bursts are watered down and massively underperforming compared to the HP pools of the rest of the group and the amount of damage coming in. The solution to this (imo) is to raise the percentage of Restoration in the healing formula. Doing this will buff all 4 of the healing powers Bursts and HoTs without the need to go through individually buffing each one. If the formula isn’t touched then each Burst and HoT needs an individual buff which would be more time consuming and probably not done efficiently.

2. Power Costs need to be cut across the board. The amount of power required to heal a raid group and properly sustain them is more than 2 trolls can handle. Power isn’t supposed to be a mandatory stat to spec into. At this point support roles especially healers have no choice but to get extra power however they can even if it means sacrificing Restoration to do it. Sacrificing your main stat should never have to be an option for support role, and that’s the position we are being forced into.
    • Like x 3
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think the issue we get into here, if you're not expected to have any SP or mods in the calculation, is that either 1) mods and SP won't matter and you won't feel the need and benefit in getting them, or 2) having SP and mods will make the game trivial for those that do go get them. The middle ground we're at now is that you are expected to progress your CR and your mods and your SP in tandem, and that's what content and NPC stats are balanced around.
    • Like x 1
  18. stärnbock Devoted Player

maybe "high pressure" could get the same animation of superman legend characters "vacuum spin"...?
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I can see why the devs are reluctant to add power to Vit, Dom, and Resto. You want to make sure that we're still dependent on trolls. I get that. You also want to keep dps from becoming a lot stronger by speccing into both might and a support stat. I get that too.

Is it possible to add power to support stats in a lesser quantity? Or reduce the cost of support powers a bit? Or create a separate mastery for support stats. Support mastery: reduces damage in support role, increases power recieved from resto, vit, dom, etc. That way battle support roles could just use hybrid mastery (with a smaller or no damage reduction) and pure support could use this and be better with power.
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Okay...

I think what you're reiterating is that you feel healing is too weak and the power costs for healing are too high. In your groups, people are getting knocked out constantly, and you feel powerless to stop that from happening - unlike on live. Can you expand a little bit in regards to scaling? Is this something you notice at all CR levels (with proper SP/mods), or is this something you only start to notice at certain CRs? Where is that point?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.