People Who Leave Duos Because of Support Role

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Ryazan, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Just a thread asking what is everyone's stance on this matter, and a small rant because I have this happen sometimes but today I had 3 people in a row leave because I was a tank in the Batscape duo.

I have a character solely dedicated to the tank role, with no armory, no dps gear available, and no investment in dps artifacts or even a pure dps loadout. At the very least I change to loadout that uses a damaging SC as often as possible with a green Gemini field to speed things up, and yet after explaining why I can't dps and how I battle tank I get a message telling me to "to stay the **** away from duos"... Disappointing... So to those who leave me in duo, you're losing more time re queuing stuff and waiting for loading screens than just doing the duo right away. I'd wish for those who do this to have a hard time finding support roles for their raids, but that's like wishing the game was more dead, so just have a nice day, I guess.
    • Like x 5
  2. High Troller Loyal Player

i really understand your dilemma. i suffer the same problem on toons I only run as troll or tank. i've been asking for content to give to those that play support roles that wear support gear. those that wear support gear in solos, duos, and some alerts typically get looked down upon because we are slowing down the group. these types of negative people and instance ditchers get put on ignore.

normally i would say ignore is the best route, but it is currently broken. ignore used to be respected in matchmaking, but doesn't work anymore.
  3. Irvynnge Loyal Player

never, ever, had a problem with a support role in a duo. I don't see what the problem is. I can't think of any duo that I couldn't pretty much solo at level. I don't need more burn, I'm cool. someone topping up me health or power, or taking some of the heavy wacks for me while I crack away, though? yeah, always welcome. come on in!
    • Like x 11
  4. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’d rather have a good support role than a rubbish dps that dies 30 seconds in because they’re not avoiding Barbatos’s attacks.
    • Like x 8
  5. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

None of the Duos I've played so far required DPS mode. In fact, if both I and my partner are at-level for them, the only real challenge is getting an partner who can recognize and deal with the specific mechanics of a Duo rather then trying to just faceroll everything. For example, the Metrodome duo is easy for a pair of fresh level 30's... Unless you get someone who doesn't understand the concept of "destroy the hypno pollen spheres before they create more adds while I tank the boss and current adds". In that case, it doesn't matter what role someone is in, the team is probably going to be overwhelmed.

That said, while playing a Celestial healer this afternoon I got yelled at by a Duo partner to "Switch to DPS RIGHT THE !@#$ NOW OR LEAVE AND NEVER DO ANOTHER DUO, ALERT, OR RAID AGAIN!" My Celestial hero isn't top tier dps, but does do decent damage. Plus stacks all sorts of heal over times on the party with every power combo. Switching from Healer role to DPS role wouldn't improve my damage output by excessive amounts, since that char only has the free armory. Thus only has a set of Healer gear. Besides which, my healing was the only freaking reason we weren't wiping. My idiot partner kept exclusively weapon DPSing the invincible boss despite the boss while adds tried to kill us. And I was too busy trying to keep us both alive to do anything about the adds.
  6. Jurandyr Ross Well-Known Player

I bet they wouldn't dare to leave if we had the old penalty for deserting. ;)
  7. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Yeah they would. I remember having nine people bail on Metrodome Duo in a freaking row because they refused to listen to me, refused to stop trying to DPS the currently invincible boss, and refused to help deal with the hypno pollen spheres. Then refused to help deal with the adds. Which naturally enough would lead to "multiple party wipes" and my partner rage quitting.
  8. Proxystar #Perception

I don't blame them for doing so, I don't personally leave when I see support players, but I think you'll find the reason many do is because they either "can't" carry you without spending substantially more time in there, as in they may be under geared themselves, or they would rather not do so.

If you're in there with a low DPS and support player it can take exceptionally more time to complete as the burn is lower from both players.

Also you're probably incorrect in terms of queues and loading screens, if it's old content sure, you'd probably be right, but new content queues pop much more frequently than that and loading screens aren't that long in comparison to the amount of time it might take to complete the instance in general with lower damage.

The question I'd equally pose is, why don't you have a DPS build? you're basically playing only one side of your character when playing both sides would take $5 for an armory and minimal investment in artifacts, even level 80 artifacts and a pure dps build made up of trash drop gear would do better damage than your support build in most cases, you can increase that by doing a battle build like you suggest, but you're expecting too much from another player to queue in and start asking questions or inspect you, they're more likely to just think, pure support and leave.

I appreciate what you're saying but at the same time you've probably got to appreciate and understand a little from their perspective as well that they want in and out of the duo as efficiently as possible and they see your support build as potentially compromising that goal.
    • Like x 4
  9. Ryazan Dedicated Player

I don't have a build because, honestly, I'm lazy with it, I don't have interest in being a dps with that character, and I only spend money on membership. You could say I should spend the the loyalty points I earn then but I have many other things to buy with them before I'd consider buying an armory, and besides, I don't like managing armories, the ones in my main are enough. I don't wanna create and manage a build for a role I don't want to do.
  10. Faerie_Knight Well-Known Player

Actually, I stay in my support role most of the time because I find it's faster and more survivable then DPS role, even when both are equally geared. If I'm anywhere near your CR, then you aren't "carrying" me. I'm holding my own, and providing you with benefits such as increased power recovery or health recovery. Not to mention reducing incoming damage via stunning large groups (when playing a controller) I don't really play tanks in DCUO.

DPS role provides damage to the Duo. My healers and controllers provide damage plus other benefits. The only way I'm not providing equal contribution is if you outclass the instance because you're a high CR and are "slumming" in lower tier content for whatever reason.
    • Like x 2
  11. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Agreed. I'm not being carried when I'm the one keeping my partner alive, not worried about health, soders and healing barrels.
    • Like x 1
  12. gemii Dedicated Player

To be honest not a fan of support roles in duos its unnecessary. im a truthful person i leave the instance unless the player is a low level player and really needs the gear or if your doing battle support ill give you a pass.

Not sure how any end game player still only has one armory thats only dedicated to their support role. how do you run content solos and dailies? respec to give yourself more damage then respec back to support everyday after your done?:confused:
    • Like x 1
  13. Darth Piper Loyal Player

As long as you do the job of that role, I don't care. :)
    • Like x 3
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I'm not fond of tanks in duos because I usually have to chase them and the adds around, it's frustrating sometimes. Even if you don't have a proper DPS setup you could still switch to DPS stance and get your innate damage bonus.
    • Like x 2
  15. Ryazan Dedicated Player

It's a character only dedicated to one role because it's an alt, I explain it in a post above.

When doing solos and dailies I just switch one or two powers in my loadout, no respec.

My battle tank with the SC spam and regen outclass being in dps stance with its buff.
  16. gemii Dedicated Player

The fact you have sodas, barrels, and supply drops alone at your disposal makes having a healer/tank/trolls irrelevant other than the simple fact its just a duo and your not in any real danger to begin with nor are they hard to beat.
    • Like x 2
  17. Ryazan Dedicated Player

And yet people still die in the duo. :rolleyes:
    • Like x 6
  18. ErickStrife Well-Known Player

I was just about to post about this very thing just now. Glad I found this thread.

I have had the same happen to me in duos, alerts and raids.
    I have two non-main toons that are EXCLUSIVELY a Healer and a Troll. No DPS gear on them whatsoever, only gear to their specific roles.
    Always have someone talk smack because I should be "DPSing" instead of being my role.

I can't count the number of times I have been kicked from an instance when in those roles just because they can kick people.
    For instance, last night, I was using my CR196 Healer in the instance where we fight "Subjugated Dr. Fate" (can't recall the name of it, anyway, that instance is for CR around 190 or so... but, it was full of 290's+ CR, I was the only "low level" (but well within my right to be there". They kept dying because they were idiots who couldn't understand that you should not stand on fire because you WILL die, - so, they blamed me, the "useless" healer. So, they kicked me. Few minutes later, I go into that instance again, this time, with ppl who were in fact LOWER CR than myself, and we finished the whole thing in like 20 minutes without dying.

Just a few minutes ago, I was in the Nanda Parbat instance where you fight Grundy; Everyone but one guy and myself were over CR280. And they were dying as well, and once again blamed the other guy (Troll) and Myself (Healer) because they kept running out of power and kept dying. They started saying things like "You guys shouldn't be here if you can't troll or heal. To which I replied, YOU shouldn't be here if you don't know how to play the game. I personally have NEVER failed this mission with people nearly 100CR below YOU and yet, YOU with your high CR keep dying and blaming other people because you can't play. Other dude and I ended up leaving. We grouped up and found other people in around our CR and we went in and finished the mission without people dying.

As difficult as it is to find a group for older content, it sucks to finally be able to start only to have people b**Ch about things and try to kick us. How are we supposed to increase our CR in those toons if we get kicked? (Mind you, as I said, we were the ones with the Suggested CR for those missions and these people were nearly over 100CR above, but still they keep dying and blaming the lower ones.
    I blame CR SkIP and entitled people who do no wrong in their eyes.

Sorry for the rant... it's just that I know the feeling when people blame the Support Roles when they are in fact the ones who suck!
    • Like x 2
  19. dresserball Dedicated Player

How do you feel about double support roles?
  20. Akaiko Well-Known Player

I don't personally care. Of course, I also have 17 toons on my PS4 account where most are dedicated to a single role. I dps/heal on my main (electric), dps/heal on my water alt, and dps/troll on my hero light alt. All of my other alts are dedicated to either dps/heal/troll/tank with no attempt to have gear/armories/load outs for the other role. I generally don't care if someone leaves, when it happens to me. Depending on my mood, I might even just go on to solo the duo in my heal/troll/tank role instead of asking to get a new partner.
    • Like x 1