melee tip

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by NoobishGuy, May 17, 2013.

1. NoobishGuy New Player

I am full t3 with currently 2 t4 pieces in dps and sometimes I barely outdps someone in lower gear. What is wrong with me? Should I go melee? Can I please be spoonfed some tips on meleeing? How does one AOE damage or handle crowds while meleeong? The issue with me is usually survivability. I have no idea how I made it from level 1 to 30 on dual wield
  2. Mad9 New Player

It is not as simple as being a melee DPS. You need advanced mechanics and mastery of combat strategies suited to specific instances in order to realise your full DPS potential.
    Perhaps, you could check out soulburn's guide on fire DPS. It takes a lot of time to figure out combat dynamics and suitable power interactions.
  3. Meta Flare New Player

I'm a pretty experienced ranged fire dps (first power and still use it on my alt.)and I usually come in second behind my leaguemate. What is your load out? Maybe I can help.
  4. Octantis New Player

I have out DPS'd guys with Pistols and less SP spent in DPS innates, I promise you it's not the weapon.

Some basic tips for any power:
    - Learn how to clip your combos to allow Powers and Weapon damage to occur simultaneously
    - Use your Power Interactions
    - Ensure that your Damage Buff (35%, 45%, 50% etc) is always on and is as high as it can be. Try to end your power rotation with a 50% power so your weapon does the most damage it can

If your Damage Buff is high, and you're clipping to do weapon and power damage at the same time, your DPS will increase.

For AoE, practice with some Weapons in challenges and Duos where you can get swarmed and survive easily. Use the AoE combos and find the ones you like. Here's a quick break down of each melee weapon's AoE attacks:

Brawling
    - Tap>Hold - Short range, small arc AoE, moderate damage split
    - Tap x2>Hold - Short Range radial AoE, moderate damage split
    - Tap x3>Hold x2 - Very large range, wide AoE with great damage and moderate split

Dual Wield
    - Tap x3>Hold - Short range, small arc AoE, moderate split
    - Tap x6>Hold - Radial AoE with large range in front, short range behind and on the sides, great damage
    - Tap x9>Hold - Large range, mobile radial AoE, poor split

Martial Arts
    - Tap x4>Hold - Short range, radial AoE, terrible split
    - Tap x5>Hold - Moderate range, radial AoE, great damage and good split

One Handed
    - Tap x2>Hold - Moderate range, wide arc AoE, moderate split
    - Tap x3>Hold - Short range, wide arc AoE, sub par split

Staff
    - Tap x3>Hold x2 - Two radial AoE with moderate range, excellent split

Two Handed
    - Hold x2 - Narrow, short range linear AoE, moderate split
    - Hold x3 - Large range, wide arc AoE, above average split (my favorite AoE combo right here)
    - Hold>Tap x2>Hold - Moderate range, mobile radial AoE, moderate split (best power regen a melee weapon can get)
    • Like x 1