Melee DPS gone

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Scorpion, Apr 30, 2013.

1. TrueMarvel New Player

My main concern is that: Is their any benefit to melee in Tier 5?

Remember Odyssey was given 6 pieces of T5 gear(almost full). AND THEY STILL HAD TO RANGE . This does not bode well for melee in higher tier content. How long will it take for players to comfortably melee DPS at that level? until they get their last tier gear? nope. because i saw that the final tier pieces did not help Odyssey not get facerolled(which is what happened).

At 6 pieces of T5 and melee is still a no-no. That kinda bothers me. So just how long until DPS can get back to their personal playstyles? full tier? Thats alot if you ask me. More information could reshape my view.
    • Like x 1
  2. DarkSyde79 Loyal Player

Eventually the gear and tactics will catch up to the new content and you'll start seeing more people melee DPS.
  3. renzhe New Player

Melee DPS aren't really gone. For burst dmg powersets, you can dive in at melee range, set up a PI, then dive right out and stay at mid-range to burst dmg.

AOE dot powerset can stay at range to setup their dots and dive in for finishing blows.

The above is only for non-boss scenarios. For the sub-bosses and bosses, you can't dive in.

For melee weapons, MA is the only one with a proper range option (shuriken). For melee DPS needing a second weapon, Rifle is best because there is no need to purchase extra weapon combos other than the usual (standard 4 weapon moves + 3 for the innates). HB and Bow require getting more weapon combos, like pulse beam and flurry shot.
  4. Senshirou Committed Player

Range is fine to me. Melee is fine to me. I honestly prefer range but I do melee a lot as well. My question for you is why are you even bothering with whirling dervish still?
    • Like x 1
  5. 13igtyme Devoted Player

I actually like DW for both melee and range. The MA range attack is lacking in damage. I started to use them on my healer then notice a drop in damage compared to pistols.
  6. renzhe New Player

Not a fan of DW charged double throw. Weirdly enough, though I DPS with 1H, when I'm asked to help out and heal, I'm using DW (the 99 resto one from Ferris Aircraft duo).

I'm suggesting MA for ppl who would still prefer melee playstyle. MA also allows for a good hit count buildup. One can stay at a safe spot and then dodge when meatball is incoming. For acrobatics toons, the tumbling master mod comes in mighty handy.

Range DPS is not about damage from weapons to me. Its about building that hit counter enough so that you don't tax your trollers and healers get all the power they need to heal. You let your powers do the damage. Unless of course, you are a precision-based DPS.

DP are fine, but sometimes, some people end up doing the combos in a long chain (slipshot-jumpshot-sweepshot/magnum) and then somehow time their jumpshot to perfection into an incoming meatball. For Rifle, its easy to get the weapon combos going without getting into bad positions, and without needing to get extra weapon combos. No need to get the 1-tap hold or 5-tap hold. Mortar is optional.

Quantum toons must use HB. Any other weapon is, imo, just wrong.
  7. TrueMarvel New Player

I will not change my playstyle for T5. I will simply choose my second Fav weapon DW and spam the BB and clip it. My rotation will probably be similar to Soulburns Tap Tap Madness loadout, which utilizes the rifle. Instead it will DW. I think I'm gona put up some serious damge yo
  8. Scorpion Well-Known Player

HB is great for dps both up close and range granted doesnt have the crit bonus the melee weapons have but it makes up for it in speed. With the addition of its charged blast and and solar flare now being aoe it definitly does good damage from a distance now too. Just hope they fix the littile damage glitch it has right now before the DLC hits.
  9. Neptune New Player

Yeah. Just wait few month. All player will be melee again. i bet ya.
  10. Neptune New Player

Agree.
  11. HRH New Player

I agree some will go to ranged tactics but others will try to stay melee till they learn the tactics or just go ranged to till the quantum tunneling to the rescue
  12. Scorpion Well-Known Player

Ya say that but ya seem to fail to grasp how difficult the new T5 content is. When T4 was new 1 hand was OP and almost every dps used it. Even in Black Dawn (currently the hardest raid) many people still melee dps through it they only ranged a little when they got to Tala. As it stands even full T5 gear fighting any T5 raid boss up close you will prolly get 1 shotted expecially since they now both block and block brake often. If any the the Devs see this dont misunderstand I love the difficulty and please dont change it.
  13. 13igtyme Devoted Player

I've played both black dawn and seeds. Seeds is harder.
  14. kgghk New Player

If ice tanks are taking 4k damage with half t5 how is a dps going to survive at melee range?
  15. Neptune New Player

Do a lot of practice to avoid & reduce the damage by blocking/rolling. And learn all the boss "Blind Spot". And also don't forget to equip tactical mod.
  16. El El Committed Player

lool thats what i said yesterday in one of my post,people said range dps does not have its usefullness anymore loooooooooooool.
    i said wait until you meet T5 raids its gonna be ranged all the way bro Mark why words i said lool.
  17. Pew New Player

So basically play like it was for 80% of the time since launch...
    Melee dps was just a phase while we had no content for months.
  18. kgghk New Player

Blocking ice tanks almost get 1 shotted blocking isnt keeping you alive. Most of the boss attacks they have shown are 360 degrees there is no blindspot.
  19. Neptune New Player

Sure got blind spot. Just need to learn the tactic. Not rush into the fight like crazy anymore(example in gates). This T5 in brand new level of gameplay in DCUO. Hit the boss at the right time and at the right angle.
  20. Scorpion Well-Known Player

Dont have any villians so cant compare Ill take your word on that, but point in being that the last raid release was the hardest.