In open world, you should be able to invite more than 8 players to a group.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Sollace, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Sollace Well-Known Player

That's it, I think that when we play in 'open world' content we should be able to invite more than 8 players, because imagine, in the league, you're 9/10 connected, so eight will be able to play together as a group while a few poor unfortunates will be sidelined.

I think the group size should be larger for non-instance zones. Couldn't there be a system for increasing the size of a league member's group?
    • Like x 8
  2. Tiffany6223 Devoted Player

I like this idea.
    • Like x 4
  3. Plowed In Loyal Player

It makes logical sense to be capped at 8, as group formation is also tied to queuing into content.

When we had more than 8 online, we’d either break up into smaller groups (say 4-5) or have a full group plus a solo. When space freed up, the solo would be invited to the main group. As you have access to league chat, communication should be available.

In theory it’d be neat, but logically it’s not needed and would be of little use to the majority of players - not to mention the possibility of abuse that may occur…doing open world feats and/or daily/weekly count missions.
    • Like x 1
  4. Grip Committed Player

Not sure about the technical implementation or whatever, but it would prob need more attention than just group size. The powersets, artifacts and allies' effects tend to top out at benefiting 8 toons (sometimes even counting allies), right? Not saying the idea isn't cool (it is!), but there could be diminishing returns on megagroups' benefits. In the meantime, prob best to split the league evenly in a couple groups for now. Hope it works out tho :)
  5. Ryll Committed Player

They could just increase the cap for group size and disable queueing like we already can't queue for an alert if the group has more than 4 players.
    • Like x 1
  6. KidKretz Committed Player

would also love an auto join group function, that when enabled, i warp into an open world, i can be grouped with others, who also have it enabled, right away and can jump into the action working on quests and such
    • Like x 2
  7. Illumin411 Loyal Player

I think at one point a lead dev (probably Batuba or Charon) chimed in on this topic saying something to the effect of that they agreed larger groups should be a thing for open world and that they looked in to it but couldn't figure out a way to achieve it while maintaining the 8-player cap for raids. Or something like that.
  8. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

I like this idea, and I'll go you one better: I think heroes should be able to invite villains, and vice versa. We already (sort of) have a provision for mixed-faction groups, with Task Force X. Why not extend it to open worlds, so heroes can heal or pick up villains (and vice versa) when going after daily and weekly bounties? Why shouldn't members of opposite factions be able to help each other out with heals and buffs?

Add that together with larger OW group sizes, and I think that would encourage more players to engage with OW content, including T5/T6 bounty runs.
  9. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I'm totally flashing on Titan sized open world boss fights with Trigon and the Anti Monitor where we're like the size of their toe and we can fly all the way to the top of their head.
    • Like x 1
  10. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

only to be felled in combat by the evil lag and its psychotic sidekick the lsod.
  11. Jaelia Committed Player

I agree completely sometimes my league is so big on bounty runs where we have to make a second group and id love to see more people especially on open world bounties! But where are the names going to go on the screens! Lol :p
    • Like x 2
  12. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Yeah, back when OW bounties like Dr. Light or the mist infused ones would be a thing you'd group for, if you had 9+ on at the time, you'd try and get 1 heal per group...1 troll if you had 2, and just keep it evenly spaced out.

I can remember for a few of those feats where you needed to KO the boss before adds died or things got broke, you'd have sometimes 3 groups of 8 all getting into 1 voice channel to all start at once and make sure the boss died before the thing happened that was not supposed to happen. I don't ever recall it really being an issue that we couldn't group, as long as there was some way to communicate like a private chat, shout or whatever.

I've even seen a bounty group do this back when they first started up in force after the clamp. I got invited to a few custom's where someone was in the full 8 man group, and they were trying to co-ordinate with other groups...now I think everyone knows the deal, so no need.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

I'm not sure why. If you are in an 8 man group and try to queue an alert...it says you can't. So if you had 8+ in a group and tried to queue a raid...it should stop you from doing so in the same way. Same with if you were in a raid and opened it....it seems to know to stop duo fills at 2, alert fills at 4....why not raid fills at 8?

Not saying we 'NEED' this, but I'd think this wouldn't be the biggest issue other than it just might not exist like on solos, duos and alerts, so it would need to be added. Maybe right now instead of the player cap statement being 8..it's something like 'max size' which might cause a programming issue if 'max' were extended for OW.
    • Like x 1
  14. TI99Kitty Dedicated Player

On the other side of the screen, of course! :p
    • Like x 1