How to Encourage 2 of each role in Raids

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Heavens Sword, Mar 16, 2014.

1. isamunore New Player

I like your mentality but it'll never work with the developers using lazy mechanics, and players having to rewrite the rules even if those rules make no sense at all ie; mobs hitting harder doesn't make the content harder or more engaging. The opening team had team dynamics in raids and alerts where balanced roles were a must or you never beat it, such as being able to cc in FoS1 and FoS2, having a balanced team for alerts like Oolong, strikers, arkum. And being able to work as a team like in the brother eye alert where some of the mobs fed off each other and there was a need to separate them. The weapons from the War of the light then the spark weapons from lightening strikes was the best last glimmer of hope that players had for using advanced team mechanics, and since most don't take advantage of the mods that heal, or give power back to your group from home turf it turned out to be a wasted effort. It's really rare for an MMo to create mechanics where the answer is forgo more support(which still does damage) in place for 1 or 2 half **** dps that add nothing to the group but tax the little support your getting from your support roles. 5 dps, 1 controllor, 1 healer cant really be blamed on the players no matter how stupid it is, it's what was forced on them to survive.
    • Like x 1
  2. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

If a current tier raid doesn't need 2 tanks to absorb all the damage the NPCs are doing and 2 healers to ensure the tanks have plenty of life to support their onslaught with 2 controllers debuffing, restoring power and providing crowd control support, then the content isn't challenging enough.

The trend in the most recent raids has been "let's challenge them by confusing inept players who will cause group wipes" rather than content which is genuinely tough and requires a proper, balanced team.

It has nothing to do with being unable to run 2-2-2-2. I'm quite aware I can. The problem is, why bother when the raids don't need it? How can you convince a bunch of scrubs to run 2-2-2-2 when they've already beaten it 5-1-1-1/4-2-1-1 many times over?

For the sake of the game's health and people's perception, a focus on returning the default raid set up to 2-2-2-2 because of difficulty concerns is exactly the direction the game needs to go. Because at the minute, the only impression the current tier raids leave is "a gamble to get us to waste our money".
    • Like x 3
  3. isamunore New Player

I like the split idea, and to go further since we can use the switch costume build dohicci there really would be a need to enter as said role but rather switch when the time came. I think a maasive wave of adds is a great idea since tanks can only get aggro from 8 adds at a time in this game.
  4. DivineSire Dedicated Player

Just because you feel you don't "need" to run it that way doesn't mean you shouldn't or couldn't. Just because you feel it's unnecessary (for whatever reason) to currently NOT run that setup doesn't mean the game should be altered to accommodate your feelings because you can run any instance with that setup, the devs have created all(or at least most) of the instances with that 2222 setup in mind and just because certain things may be considered "trends" doesn't mean your obligated to follow them or even recognize them as such.

To answer your question...........You have multiple players in this thread alone that want to play that setup, invite them all to a raid and do it!! If you want to use "scrubs" as you so lovingly call them, tell them you want to play this specific way and why but you won't because your scared the group may take to long to form and don't want to take the chance.......which is a you/time issue and not a game issue.

I'm not mad but it's irritating when players talk about the state of the game and then turn around and try to get things changed based of their feelings of necessity not ACTUAL necessity.
  5. David Ivanenko Committed Player

Yeah, then people would start calling me a noob because as a troller/healer/tank I can't revive 4 DPSs that weren't paying attention at the same time, lol.
    • Like x 1
  6. Derio 15000 Post Club

No matter what this game does, it will never encourage 2-2-2-2, simply because of the lack of incentives devs give to support role players rather than other games.
    • Like x 3
  7. PlatypusMessiah New Player

Many MMOs have limited revivals to the healers. If you limited revivals, you are going to need more support to make it run smooth. If the support roles had to revive, whatever they are supposed to be doing stops and groups would need to start considering adding more support roles. Think about how many whipes would happen in L&W if only support roles could rally. Tank would still have to hold agro, troller still tied up with special, that leave the healer to work on fixing everyone that can't hold block. If the troll or heal can't hold block, real bad things happen.

Busting gear on tanks seems to encourage more tanks as well.
    • Like x 1
  8. MetalMario Loyal Player

The only one that makes sense is the last one. You don't need more defense/healing/power if you already have more of that benefit by virtue of having an extra person whose role it is to provide that. A damage boost for not having extra dps or having enemy health scale with the number of dps role players is probably the easiest/best option.
    • Like x 1
  9. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

I would agree if that were actually the case. It seems to me not that people don't want to play them, but more that people aren't allowed to. The community with their "no we don't need a healer" or "no we don't need a tank" or, them saying that they do not need a second one of any role, is what has caused them to become scarce. Not peoples desire to be them.
    • Like x 6
  10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Precisely this. This attitude has only formed because of the developers consistent complacency to produce content which is so easy that only 1 tank and 1 healer are needed in the raids. Resulting in potential healers and tanks not being able to practice their roles as groups expect a single tank to handle everything and a single healer to keep all 8 players alive.

It also encourages the awful DPS community we have. Full of horrible players who can't perform. That are able to beat raids without even coming close to putting out numbers anywhere near the best performing DPS. If 2-2-2-2 was enforced by design, then there simply wouldn't be any room for these players in content as both DPS would be expect to perform.

There's also satisfaction. It isn't satisfying beating easy content. I want raids to last a long time so it's actually a big deal when someone finally completes them. Not the appalling situation we had week one of DLC11 where 5-1-1-1 groups were beating a raid touted as being on par with Paradox Wave/FOS3/PBG in terms of difficulty. That sense of challenge is attractive to players and it keeps them playing for longer. A common complaint from people who have left the game has been because DCUO isn't challenging.
    • Like x 2
  11. spack2k Steadfast Player

EASY ! the less Damagedealer in raid group the less health NPC have , the more in grp the more health NPC have.

so that the playtime is the same if u play 2222 or 1115 - ur way to play!
    • Like x 1
  12. King Felsa New Player

Amazon Fury Part 2 spoiler alerts below:

The devs have the tech to be able to select players by role and teleport them into specific locations within an instance. They also have a boss fight where the second boss that appears can only be taunted by a second tank. I believe that going forward they will try to implement these mechanics more so that the group has to deal without any healer/troller/tank while the teleport phase occurs, or have to deal with a boss that can't be tanked if there's only 1 in the group.
    • Like x 2
  13. King Felsa New Player

Then all you would see are battle trolls/healers/tanks for the second role. It would be easier to grant a damage boost rather than NPC health drop, but that also falls into the same issue.
  14. Derio 15000 Post Club

That is only for throne of the dead. So if you run with 1 tank or 1 troll or 1 heal Hades will teleport them out of the arena. This is however dependent on the support role to how long they will take to get back. Which means those support roles who dont have WM or have under 50sp will struggle in that content.
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

This is good news and I hope they continue to exploit and improve upon it. 2-2-2-2 is vital to the health of the game. We should only be able to 5-1-1-1 instances that we are grossly overpowered for.
  16. Heavens Sword Dedicated Player

I disagree, many ppl want a solo tank or solo healer, despite ppl claiming that the dev team created instances with a 2-2-2-2 in mind, These incentives could help promote, 2 tanks or 2 healers, or the 2-2-2-2 altogether. Some ppl may still want 3 even 4 dps.

Some ppl want to blame the Tank despite agro dropping mechanics, these players sometimes refuse to keep a shield on hand, wont block or rollaway, use sodas for both health and not just power. The same arguments can be made for the Healer.

More often than not its DPS who play a high risk high reward style, the problem is they often refuse to acknowledge the risk and blame Tanks or Healers or even the Controller for not providing enough power to the other support roles even though they will drain their powerbar and knowingly siphon power meant for healers or tank.

In defense to these DPS, DCUO in my exp is often Kickcentric, one wipe and everyone is under scrutiny.
  17. Biester New Player

It's a good thought but not a good idea. Any sort of healing buffs, defensive buffs, etc are useless if the instance's mechanics don't require 2 of every role. The only real way to encourage a 2222 setup is to have mechanics that are almost impossible to get around without using 2 of each role.
  18. Biester New Player

Dps was the most played role but after the release of this last dlc I have seen a lot more support role players than I have seen in a long time. Plus, what can a dps do besides burn? Content designed for dps stacking is nothing more than tank-and-spank mechanics which gets extremely boring. I believe the majority of the playerbase seems to be in favor of a balanced setup based on the feedback from AF2's raids and raid mechanics. I believe you are in the minority now.
  19. Biester New Player

I'd say based on the feedback from AF2's raids and mechanics and the number of likes the op has received (over 30 so far) that people want a more balanced raid setup.
    • Like x 1
  20. Heavens Sword Dedicated Player

I think this would really shake things up and bring more Incentive to play differently and or stray from all the solo support role setups.