How to access linksys guest network on ps4?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by DrewCheech, Mar 4, 2014.

1. DrewCheech New Player

I use wifi from my landlord, 100% signal strength at all times it's great.
    But it's through the linksys guest network.
    So to access psn on my ps3, I open the browser first to trigger the blue guest password screen.
    I entered the password there and boom, I can sign into psn and it's smooth sailing.
    Now, I got ps4 last night....not smooth sailing
    I cannot open the web browser, without connecting to psn
    But I can't connect to psn, without prompting the blue guest password screen from the web browser.
    I called playstation and when I told a rep I couldn't access the guest password screen,
    The rep tried telling me my "internet connection isn't strong enough to handle ps4"
    Which is simply a cop out for saying they have no contingency for this issue.
    Anyone else in this boat? Anyone have any solutions?
    Ps4 without psn is quite the buzzkill... :(
  2. SeriousVanity New Player

Can't you just go into settings and set up your internet connection that way? I'm sort of confused at what you are getting at here.
  3. DrewCheech New Player

This seems to confuse a lot of people, let me see if I can clarify.
    Any devise in my house that uses my landlords wifi, in order to connect to the internet needs the guest linksys password
    The screen that prompts you to enter the password, only triggers by entering a web browser (chrome, safari, internet explorer, etc)
    So my ps4 is in fact connected to the internet
    HOWEVER, I cannot access psn, without first entering the lynksys guest password, just like on my ps3
    The problem is, the web browser on ps4 WILL NOT OPEN without first being connected to psn.
    But I cannot connect to psn, without first prompting the password screen through the ps4 browser.
    See the conundrum? It's not a wep key, or password stamped on a modem
    It's a guest password created through lynksys for guests
    Which you can only enter by opening a browser
  4. Shadowdragon Devoted Player

It seems like your landlord's wifi is setup much like a typical hotel. Some things you can try:

1) Ask your landlord to add your PS4's MAC address to the firewall. This would bypass the web-based authentication. This is probably the best method if he's cool.
    2) Use an intermediate device... a system that has connection sharing. So that system is connected to your landlord's wifi, but shares its connection with other devices.
    3) Also found this info., but I don't have a PS4, so no idea what it means...

"To bypass the whole being logged into PSN to use a browser thing, a web browser usable without being logged in PSN can be accessed via the User’s Guide in the Settings menu."
    • Like x 1
  5. DrewCheech New Player

6. DrewCheech New Player

Shadowdragon that's perfect.
    If I can pull up the web through the users manual without being connected to psn, like any other browser it should prompt the password screen I need.
    God I hope this works, I miss DC lol
    Thank you so much
    Now I just have to find an excuse to leave work early :)