good weapon for tanks

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Jensu, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Jensu Well-Known Player

so i have been the game since Day one mostly as a Controller, i want to make myself a Earth tank, my question is what is a good weapong for tanking?
  2. Roocck Committed Player

It all depend on your choice of weapon. For me I like one handed, combos are easy and effective..
  3. E Clip Dedicated Player

I prefer One Handed and Martial Arts because they are quick.
    • Like x 1
  4. ATyger96 New Player

Shield isn't very OP, but it's thematic and loads of fun, and it feels really nice to bash and toss it (and others) around. Shield WM to Two-handed; Big Scoop isn't the worst option, despite it being slowish. Comes with decent DPS however. Honestly if you find yourself using power interactions more and thus more powers, then the weapon is mostly immaterial. As for Hybrid/Weapon Expert concepts, Bow (Martial Art; Smoke Bomb), Staff (One-handed; Cleave), One-handed (Dual Wield; Stunning Sweep), and Rifle (One-handed; Air Launch) are your best overall options currently. Generally in that order, but they'll all do well.
  5. ThePhilosophy Loyal Player

You want weapon combos that juggle or stun groups of adds, and/or you want weapons with a fast lunge and/or just a weapon you're comfortable with.

Smokebomb for example will stun an entire group of adds because its an AoE...

Brawlings combos stun adds, pop them up in the air etc, which you would then use your epicenter pull to bring them back in to you (you dont want a bunch of scattered adds)
  6. CarlynnCarnage 10000 Post Club

Honestly, it doesn't matter very much.
    • Like x 2
  7. Red Batern Well-Known Player

I agree. The aforementioned tips about weapons that juggle is good advice though. The only weapon for me that seems hard to tank with is rifle. Rifle just doesn't have a good lunge for closing. It might work well with something like Rage though.
  8. Mazahs Loyal Player

For me all I look for is what has the longest lunge distance
  9. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Rifle is a plodding weapon. I'd rather use DP than Rifle any day.
  10. Red Batern Well-Known Player

I don't know what plodding is. Do you think it would work well with something like Rage that has a lot of lunges in the power set?
  11. Rockhound665 Steadfast Player

Plodding means slow as hell and no, Rifle is a range weapon, nothing more. It's no good for close quarter powers like Rage, Fire, Ice, or Earth. Perfect for Controller and Healer powers, stuff you can range. DP is far better in close quarters than Rifle.
    • Like x 1
  12. 6ix9ine Well-Known Player

shield
    Martial arts
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I find a large cannon works best for most tanks. :eek:
  14. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

Rifle is just fine. LOL. Guess you don't PvP much? Really not much of a difference between that and tanking mechanics. It's all personal choice. I could use any weapon, since I'm atomic, but I like to use handblasters. It has a great aoe stun, and I'm comfortable with it.
  15. Apolloin Well-Known Player

I like one handed, martial arts, and dual wield.

Weapons I don’t like for tanking
    Staff, Hand blasters, two-handed
  16. Red Batern Well-Known Player

Thanks, appreciate it.
  17. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

Brawling, One Handed, Shield, Staff, and Martial Arts are my top 5 :)
    ..or anything but Riflle! Rifles lunge mechanic is terrible lol.
  18. AruEdu Well-Known Player

but each weapon gives you any diferent BONUS % ... or im wrong ? thats not depends about if you want to healt your self a bit more or to get a bit more dominance and restore? sorry for my noob question .. im new ingame.
  19. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I use two-hand - 75% of the combos are crowd control and you have 25-35K dominance, so why not....
  20. Cyclonic Dedicated Player

One handed just seems like a no brainer to me. You have the fastest lunge. 2tap hold and 3tap hold are excellent for crowd control and 4tap hold works great on bosses to contribute some damage for when your role isn't being too engaged.

You'll still probably want a rifle swap for ranged interrupts on special occasions though.