DCUO's New Logo

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by BuzzWerd, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ItsRem Well-Known Player

Read the entire post before you want to throw any criticism out there. <3
  2. SuperiorMouse New Player

hmmm okay well this is a bit harsh (even for me)...

so earlier i made a previous comment about relate-ability of this logo to the DCComics logo... i want to elaborate on that because of this comment.

the DCComics logo is comprised of 2 parts. the mark (the stylized DC with the "reveal" edge) and the logotype (text part that reads DC Comics). this logo was introduced and was largely criticized (actually hated is a more accurate description) by fans. it was too "graphic-designy" for most comics fans not having a design sensibility. i guess a few months later they've accepted it though. anyhow, that logo follows current general design philosophy and uses "flat" 2d design aesthetics compared to the typical web2.0 stuff that's overwhelmed the industry for about 8 years now. the web2.0 stuff was typified by drop shadows, gradients, glossy/plastic finishes -- all started by Apple when it released it's original OSX so long ago. it started with buttons and UI elements and worked it's way out to logos over the years. now the industry has come full circle to favour 2d flat designs inspired by Windows8's metro deskop UI and flat appearance. we're seeing more and more of it even in logos again.

so, comig back to the point, the re-designed DCUO logo uses the exact same font as the logotype element of the new reveal logo but this font is not visually distinct enough to communicate the brand relationship and a strong identity for this game on it's own. i feel like the DCUO logo needs to visually relate to the DC logo in some way other than a very subtle shared font. also, the metal/gradient treatment of the logo is very dated (note even marvel is using this dated approach to their game's logo though) and as time goes by it will appear more dated and have a shorter lifespan.

as for ItsRem's attempt at a logo... i LOVE (honestly it's fantastic) the execution of the plastic/gradient/metal finish on the type and much prefer it over the reimagined DCUniverse Online logo posted here, but in the end it is still using a dated visual style from 8 years ago. also, the type choice and the execution of leading and kerning in the type identifies the designer as being less experienced, that's true -- but as a proof of concept this is still a good showing so, i don't think such a harsh response is necessary. :/
  3. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

OMG 'less experienced' is a euphemism for 'amateurish' ... just because you use nicer words doesn't mean you're being nicer.
    Type is everything in a work-mark. The lack of tonal contrast is also very evident of 'less experienced' creator. :)

I think the bevels and chrome effects are going to be with us a good while longer...some isn't dated when it suits the application. Contemporary design isn't necessarily the best design.
  4. SuperiorMouse New Player

i wasn't trying to contradict what you said, i was trying to point out that you maybe took it a bit far. i agree with your assessment essentially and when i looked at it my first response was to think about all those kids who pirate photoshop and then call themselves designers. -- learning photoshop isn't the same thing as being a designer. so being able to do some nice bevel / emboss / gradient effects doesn't make someone a designer... BUT he did do a very nice job with that so either he had a really good preset gradient palette ready to go or he spent some time building a really nice gradient effect. either way he demonstrated a good eye and i don't think he deserved to be called amateurish. :/

i wouldn't call his efforts amatuerish because i don't know his experience. for all i know his clients primarily consist of basement fly by night operations and mom and pop businesses limiting his work to non-premium or economy brands -- but he may have years of professional experience doing that work. so my comment related to his experience working with this type of branding. as a working professional i'm sure you would agree with me that many designers find their niche but it's hard for them to develop the skills to work for a broad range of these clients and meet their needs.

and btw, i'd really enjoy seeing your take on this personally. you sound like you know what you're doing :)

maybe. but my observations and experience say web2.0 is dead. we're just seeing the death throws imo.

i've been considering doing my own take on this but i was hoping Buzz would post clearing up the purpose of the thread. i don't want to spend much time in this thread or see others making tons of excited mockups when the logo really is set in stone already ... if it isn't set in stone though; let's see more ideas. maybe then at least the branding team might pickup something that inspires them or something.
    • Like x 1
  5. TKMcClone Steadfast Player

What on earth does web 2.0 have to do with good logo design?
    I think the DCUO folks have got this one under control... I imagine this also had input from and was approved by DC Comics.
    I will say, it must have been a tough nut, because the new DC Comics logo didn't give them much to work with in the form of a strong 'DC'. Although that logo has grown on me and I like it a lot now, it seemed more like something designed for the film industry rather than comics. It makes sense, but it also looses something artistic too, which is sad.

btw did you see this?
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcu...for-player-designed-marketplace-items.176034/
  6. SuperiorMouse New Player

web2.0 as a design aesthetic over took the industry and influenced design across web, print and media over the last 8 or so years. that is why metallic finishes and plastic finishes became in style. it has absolutely nothing to do with good design anymore though. it's time is up and using design that is rooted in an 8 year old aesthetic dates it.

i definitely think the DCUO team needs to go back to the board on this. they don't "have it under control" at all. they based their logotype on a font that was chosen to be discreet and understated as part of DC's "reveal" logo (it was intended to not compete with the visual element of the mark), and not a headlining visual element. it inherently doesn't work for that reason.

yes i saw it... but it doesn't include DCUO. it probably won't ever because this is a licensed product. player made costumes? player made props? it would be a nightmare to manage the integrity of the product.
  7. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

See you only concerned about the quality of the graphical model. But at some time has passed in your mind that indifferent being in perfect aesthetic questions this is not mean it's perfect for the taste of the players? Or even for the style of game? From what I know no one here is doing (unlike you) a critique graphic. But a simple critique of aesthetic taste. A frame can be a true work of art and still be terrible to my eyes!
  8. xXRE1GNXx Level 30

although I like the old logo better the new one is pretty good too.
  9. Original Kal Well-Known Player

I guess changing it doesn't affect the game but the new logo leaves much to be desired. I think you should stick with the current one and scrap this new "logo".
  10. BuzzWerd Developer

SuperiorMouse, sorry you're not a fan, but this logo is final. The purpose of this post was simply to show the community the new logo in advance of its roll out so it didn't catch everyone by surprise. The typeface was a requirement of DC Entertainment.
    • Like x 6
  11. Superskull85 Devoted Player

That is pretty disappointing than. :/
  12. BigAl Devoted Player

I'm okay with it. Won't affect my game play. That's all that matters. I don't log in to see the logo, I do it to play the game. :D
    • Like x 2
  13. SuperiorMouse New Player

Like I said in my initial response, it's fine. ...Just underwhelming. But when the conversation continued and players started creating their own logos, I thought it was best to ask the question so that readers weren't wasting a ton of time making logos and getting invested in a perceived opportunity to contribute where there wasn't any. Dashing people's hopes etc.

Anyhow, DC's typeface is Gotham. I also used it when I created my own mockup last night. My league mate wanted to see what I would have done so I did this sort of proof of concept to illustrate my criticism. Of course, this is done without knowing the restrictions placed by the license holder so, I may not have been able to use a "reveal" or italics type. I was able to create something modern and more dynamic though. It also relates visually to DC's logo while also relating back to the original DCUO logo. I included a web2.0 effects version to also demonstrate (as per the previous conversation) how these effects can be used more subtly making them less dated.

On a side note: this is a proof of concept or effectively a sketchbook page to illustrate an idea. and i never realized how badly photobucket compresses image quality :(

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. Remander Steadfast Player

I think the logo is fine, but it would do well with a little dynamic animation over the top, like the shimmer that runs across the current logo during game loading. Would that be a possible add?
  15. BumblingB I got better.

Which is why I gave up when you mentioned the DC Comics thing. When your hands are tied, they are tied. There is no give. It's not your brand you are using, you are just marketing it for them. You have to follow their rules or you don't get to use it at all.

Thank you for your clarification! :)
  16. Enickma Dedicated Player

Was this an announcement thread or a "see if you can beat the new logo" thread? I'm confused.

Logo looks awesome, Buzz. Thanks for all your work, and welcome to the forums!
    • Like x 1
  17. Sore Steadfast Player

I'm looking forward to seeing it actually on stuff. Screenshots. Videos. Streams. Adverts. Etc.
    • Like x 2
  18. TheOtherWhiteMeat New Player

Same here, but I fell asleep waiting for the game to load because of it.
  19. MAXILIANO Loyal Player

It is a pity they have pruned their creativity this way.:( Keep up the great work since his hands were tied.:)
    • Like x 1
  20. THEMYGOD New Player

A couple ideas I came up with just for fun

[IMG]

[IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.