Batman vs Sherlock Holmes

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Will Power, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Will Power Loyal Player

If both existed in the same Universe and same time period who would solve cases faster?

Is Batman DC Comics version of Sherlock Holmes?
    • Like x 1
  2. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

Batman has the tech to do forensics, and has a keen mind when it comes to investigations. Holmes is a lot better at reading people, however, and is more experienced as a seasoned detective. His deductive reasonings are unmatched. My money is on Sherlock Holmes.
    • Like x 2
  3. BlackWingBeyond Committed Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 6
  4. MrMigraine Devoted Player

• Like x 2
  5. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

This is a problem that has started happening within the last 10yrs and its kinda ludicrous tbh.
    Every time someone turns around and starts discussing Batmans Casefiles or his Detective work everyones first comment is always something about "Batman has Tech". Im not slagging you btw Splinter im just bringing up this nasty habit that a lot of ppl have.

The reason why this is a problem is because before batman was EVER shown to have all this "new-age" 10yrs-ahead-of-everyone-else-Tech, he absolutely 100% earned the title of Worlds Greatest Detective through sheer footwork and old school Detective reasoning. Unfortunately its a problem that is only being backed up by recent Comics and even the Arkhamverse Videogames. Apparently now Batman is unable to solve a crime scene without using Detective Vision linked to the Batcave? No, sorry I love those games and all but just no.

Batman The Animated Series has been called one of the greatest animated series ever made for many many reasons, but 1 of which was that it went out of its way to SHOW you this Worlds Greatest Detective actually doing Detective Work in a way similar to the 80s-90s Batman Comics. After every single crime scene you'd see him take the smallest bit of evidence, be it a Soil Sample or Ripped Clothing, and within this 22 min episode Batman would crack the case wide open. Sure, he had samples run through his Batcomputer, but all that did was give him information, all it did was give him ingredients or compounds or matching prints, but it was always Bruces BRAIN that made the connections.

This post isnt meant to diminish Holmes btw, Holmes is a God of Detective work in his own right, its meant to highlight the fact that despite recent Media outlets painting Batman as a "Detective, but only if he has his Tech", the REAL Batman, created 75yrs ago in Detective Comics and written tremendously up until the late 90s as a through-&-through Detective, would actually be on Par with Holmes.

To summarise, I honestly think itd be a draw. As disappointing as that may seem itd be a draw between fictions 2 greatest Detectives, to which neither could be matched unless against each other.
    • Like x 2
  6. Mont New Player

Batman cheats, he uses the batcomputer
  7. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

It's going to depend on what incarnation of the character we are talking about. Because 75 years ago he earned the title of "World's Greatest Detective" through the heavy lifting. Even up until recently he has not had to rely on that stuff.

Honestly I'm going to have to say it's a draw.
    • Like x 1
  8. Mont New Player

Was a time when "DC" ment detective comics, because of bats, now it's " D"ull movies "C"ant make a good one to save a life
    • Like x 1
  9. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

You mean apart from Batman (1989), Superman, Superman II, Constantine, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight & almost every single DCAU Movie?

I smell a Marvel fanboy amongst us lol :p
    • Like x 1
  10. Mont New Player

Ohh, let's leave out, green lantern,catwoman,superman returns, and 3 bale batmans,
    Marvel/DC matters not to me, but for live movies marvel is a head as far as good entertainment for the $,
    Animated DC rules at least until series gets cancelled, thankfully they actually listened to fans n cancelled beware batman LoL
  11. Mint Stiletto Loyal Player

Um,
    [IMG]Nuff said.
  12. Will Power Loyal Player

I grew up on Batman The Animated Series after all I'm an 80's guy. However Sherlock had it harder and worked ten times harder with out all the Tech however there is a Modern Sherlock series out there so that's why I posted the Thread it still shows Sherlock using his mind and Microscopes. I think people would be bored to easy to watch Batman solve a case with his mind.
  13. Mont New Player

Sherlock also had a drug addiction in many of his incarnations, with the exception of the actor that made him famous , Sir Basil Rathbone, love his Sherlock work
  14. Sabigya Steadfast Player

Correction : Sherlock Holmes WRITER vs Batman WRITER.
    One can easily just make batman's IQ over 500 and can have him the ability to read minds.
    • Like x 1
  15. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

I understand where your coming from and I agree, up until that last line.
    Are you saying you were bored watching Batman TAS? Because 70% of that series was Batman solving things with his mind.

As I was saying the Batcomputer in Batman TAS functioned exactly as it did in 50s-90s comics, it didnt solve anything in any way, shape or form. It analysed things through Spectrographic Analysis, something any real-life detective would need, and all it gave were ingredients/compounds. After that, it was up to Bruce to work out how everything connected. Its probably Batman Begins 1 and only fault really, Bruce spent 15yrs away from Gotham Training, but he trained his MIND as well as his body. In other words he studied everything he possibly could to become an outstanding Detective, including the likes of Criminology, Psychology, Herbology etc etc. Most of which wouldnt be learned by normal Detectives but instead by Forensic Scientists.

Although ive read more Batman than Holmes id still say that itd be a standstill. I think they both have strengths vs each others weaknesses but itd balance out as an even match.
  16. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

I wasnt leaving anything out, you misunderstand. You were claiming that DC stands for Dull movies Cant make a good one to save a life, I was merely pointing out the Paradox in that statement considering that if it werent for DCs Superman I and Batman 1989, 2 DC Movies that even to this day remain the pedestal of Comicbook Movies, there may not even be Comicbook movies nowadays.

Both DC and Marvel have made terrible Movies equally. DCs being like Catwoman and Green Lantern, Marvels being Thor 1 & 2, Ironman 2 or Spiderman 3. The funny part of that arguement ofc, apart from the fact that DC & Marvel arent actually at war and its really just DC Fanboys vs Marvel Fanboys making it all up, is the old "Spiderman = Sony" excuse lol.
    • Like x 1
  17. Mont New Player

Actually Thor 2 wasn't that bad, better then the 1st imop,60s batman 70s wonder woman was a lot better then the Spider-Man/ captain America attempts, and the unaired but can be seen on YouTube fantastic4, the live justice league tv series sucked, it all boils down to the creative aspects of the director, dare devil directors cut was better, Elektra was better than catwoman LoL,
    As kids we wanted this, now we got it lol
  18. Green Lantern Gangeticus New Player

19. Will Power Loyal Player

I'm referring to the 2 hour Movies it would have to be early in the day or early in the evening not late night to watch a crime solving Movie with out a ton of action modern batman isn't the Greatest Detective at all.

As for Batman Beyond Terry was no Detective in fact it was still Bruce calling the shots. With them teamed up Batman was reborn in the future.

Terry Muscle Bruce Mind. I'd like to see Gordon Die in DCUO and Barbra Take his place as chief of Police.
  20. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Yeah but the problem is we're getting it for all the wrong reasons really. Movie Studios basically told every story they could by the late 90s and so these Comicbook Movies are just proverbial "Cash-Cows" to them. The Studios dont really care if theyre good or bad which is why Writers and Directors on these projects are being changed out more than I change underwear lol. (Dont worry, its daily)

Like look at the Comicbook Movies in the last few years:

DC
    Man of Steel- Completely split audiences, personally I thought was alright
    Green Lantern- Great Cast, Awful story and Direction. Studio cut an Hour outta the budget which didnt help
    Batman Begins- Fantastic, true-to-comic story
    The Dark Knight- Fantastic, even if it wasnt a proper Batman story
    The Dark Knight Rises- After 30 mins in you could tell the Studio was forcing Nolan to return for this
    Constantine- Enjoyable and solid story, not sure why an English actor wasnt chosen but still, ok.

Marvel
    Ironman 1- Surprisingly good, stayed true to the comics and helped launch Marvel into Cinema after 4 attempts
    Ironman 2- Skipped 20yrs of comics for no reason and ended up a mess
    Ironman 3- Skipped another 30yrs of comics to bring us Extremis storyline which only released in the 2000s, should have been called Regular Man
    Thor 1- Snore 1
    Thor 2- Better, but really just Snore 2
    Captain America 1- Genuinely good film but maybe wrong casting choice, story should have stuck to comics
    Captain America 2- Genuinely 100x better than Cap 1, ending probably made Joss Whedon cry with rage over rewrites to Avengers 2
    Avengers- great movie, really well paced, deserved to be top sales

All that info and now consider this; once the Studio gets paid its expected forecasted income it doesnt give a cr*p how good any of these were. All they want to know is if there was enough "buzz" to make a sequel.

Movies, including Comicbook Movies, should only be made because they NEED to be made, not to line pockets. Its why I respect the DCAU Movies more than any DC/Marvel Liveaction ones, every story they make were ones that fans have wanted for years & years & years and 90% of them stick to the comicbook stories.