2nd time Fire Tanking Nexus

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Dark Horus, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

just started playing my fire tank seriously 97 cr 100 sp. the most difficult part was finding a pug group that would take a Fire tank . i see a lot of shouts for need Ice tank for Nexus . any tips for improving my tanking ?
    • Like x 1
  2. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

3. 13igtyme Devoted Player

You need to grab all of bosses faster. Also if you make a video turn down the effects volume. I can barely hear you. It looks like you do alright though, however since we can't heard you we don't know how the rest of the raids went.
    • Like x 1
  4. Vulmyss Dedicated Player

What the other dude said is very correct. I saw a boss or two attacking other people at times. Fire does not have a ranged pull, so it may be tricky.
    Volume wise, I couldn't hear you well either.
    Overall though, nice job !!
  5. Schimaera Devoted Player

Keep on trying and fire tanking. It is one of the more difficult tank classes but it is powerful and fun, too. The fact that you don't have shields and nearly all damage you take needs to be healed by healers makes it sometimes difficult for healers that aren't familiar with fire tanks because a bit loss to your health bar looks far more dangerous than it is because you have so much life.
    It is more work to healers where other tanks just take less damage or none but it is not worse. We have a fire tank in our league that ran paradox with 3subs and a solo electricity healer. Surely no EO but close.

As for the video, keep on the work. 13igtyme is right though. Without a single target pull it is more difficult if you don't have all the aggro in an instant. But what is weird to me is that the luthors are so much spread. When I run NoR they are way closer to eachother and can be easily aggroed by Epicenter or your eehr whatchamacallit Backdraft?, well..the 360° pull. ^_^

My advice on the video would be (next time) that you either lower the effect and music sounds or that you narrate the video afterwards when you can adjust the video sound again. (But keep the music on I like the battle music at the beginning :D )

With the new GU31 the tanks will get another single target aggro skill. Guess its fireball for you, maybe this might be something for you. In t5 you often only need it to aggro a boss again and such it does not matter whether its a real pull skill or not.

Regards

Schimära
  6. Physique Dedicated Player

The other guys are right. Adjust voice volumes so you can be heard easily. Also, since fire does not have a decent ranged pull, you might want to look at mesmerizing lasso as an alternate pull -- I keep it, backdraft, and absorb heat in my loadout to initiate and keep pull-type aggro. In my case, I'm still working in getting the right balance of health to go with my defense and restoration because I know that fire tanks are (or can be) really hard on healers.
  7. Rooney Well-Known Player

First mistake was your starting point, you were too far from the bosses to aggro all of them with backdraft. Make sure you position yourself properly. Next, like everyone else said - you need to be quicker grabbing the aggro if you have lost it (which you never fully gained until late).

Another thing I would suggest to work on is when to use Burning Det, I think you were using it just for self-heals when I find it more importantly to use as a team immunity (such as when they all get balled - so you have to pay attention to Lex's animations).

When you did gain aggro, you had the bosses facing away from the team which was good. I would even take it a step further and when your team rotated to get Space, I would say to reposition yourself to make sure you turn the bosses opposite of the team again.

Other than that, it's great to see more fire tanks, so keep it up! If you need any more help, check out my YouTube channel.
  8. YetAnotherFireTank New Player

From my fire tank point of view:

Fire tanking is all about knowing each bosses weapons and using their combos cooldown attacks to gain aggro.

Best aggro powers (for me):

* Mesmerizing Lasso
    * Backdraft
    * Inmolation / Enflame
    * Low Pressure

Powers you should consider to use:
    * Hardlight shield
    * Burning determination
    * Burnout (this should be a must)

On first room, check always for the boss who is using the fastest weapon attack (usualy One Hand weapon), and aggro only after he does the full attack ( tap tap tap hold). As someone said before, your best aggro power here is backdraft. No need to use inferno or other power. Be careful as all bosses uses 2 dif weapons, One Hand and riffle (flame trhower) are the ones you MUST block.
    Where to stand: chose a place between the center and one of the blue doors. Not 2 far from group but not 2 close to them

On second boss, if he uses shield you must keep him facing opossite side to your team, as the ranged attack (tap tap tap) will affect you and the guys standing in the same path. Again, wait till he finishes this combo and aggro him, then block again.
    Where to stand: Most (or all) groups want you to tank right in the blue doors. What they might not know is that when a tank does that the visual area (and zoom) is affected and therefore you cannot check if there is a drone spawning on the other side of the room. If you chose this place zoom out your camera but use a side angle to fight lex , i mean, your camera should not be showing the action from behind your toon but from a side; that way your zoom will work properly.

On third boss, Usually future lex or professor, They both use HB or guns. Although those are not baddass weapons and you should not worry about them (again, just aggro and block) keep your eyes open on AOE attacks. Future's AOE (orange ring) or professor's AOE (green missile target) will kill you. on both cases Roll out and block again.
    Where to stand: Same as second boss, stand in the blue door. This room is a little tricky as there will be drones spawning from time to time (and more frequently the most the fight last) so you have to be ready to pull those adds right away. You must use any of the 2 ranged pulls, lasso or low pressure. The problem is that neither of them can pull from the opposite side of the room, so you must be careful of bosse's attack, wait for combo cooldown, move a little, pull the add, return to your position and block again.

On Fourth boss (spiders), There is not much science about it. pull everything you can (short pulls and ranged pulls) to keep aggro. and block.
    Where to stand: Tank right in the middle. If you can fly stay in the air, so adds misiles will only hit you and not the rest of theam

Tunnel (Sentinels), They will barely hurt you and you can actually dps them, just remember to block when you see the focused attacks.
    Where to stand: As far as possible from group.

Last boss: This is the most difficult part of the raid, but the mechanics are pretty much the same you used for first room. Focuse on the fastest weapon attack and if you get any AOE or a pool, roll out and block.
    Where to stand: Most artifacts let you tank right on the center, except for the power ring and Superman's DNA, which may require a diff strategy (2 long to explain here)

Some DOs and DONTs:

DOs
    * Block as much as possible. your dps score will probably be the last on the scorecard but it doesnt matter
    * Combine aggro powers. Even if they are suppossed to last 10 or 12 secs you may lose aggro after 6
    * Use your common sense. Dont bring the battle near your friends. Those bosses also attack based on enemy proximity, so it doesnt matter if you have aggro, they will attack any pet or player standing near.

DONTs
    * Spam powers just because. Chose wisely when to use them. Space Lex is a crazy guy and he will randomly teleport to another part of the room to attack someone. if that happens:
    * DONT Pannic. Stay where you are supposed to stay and use nothing but your ranged attacks, he will come back to you ( DPS should stop attacking him anyway)
    * Revive anyone
    * Let anyone else be in front of you and always make your team be ranged from every wave of drones, adds, etc.

My apologies for any grammar mistake made. Feel free to correct me if neccesary ;)
  9. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

10. Daemonic Visions Committed Player

I just tanked Nexus as Fire like 2 hours ago, we blew right through it, even knocked the last room on the 1st try.

I won't pug Paradox as Fire though, not till I'm higher graded or my Ice can help me understand what to do better, even then sometimes that doesn't help.

For doing Nexus as a Hero and a Villain, for 2 and some more Hero side, I'd say it's almost like Gates 2.0 for pugs, and I'm even doing it with Fire.

Modded 85 Tank gear even, 150 SP. Back Draft/Absorb Heat(With Channeling Mod)/Immolation/Burning Determination/Stoke Flames/Burn Out. Dom/Resto/HP/Crit Healing Mag/Chance SP Loadout.

There is nothing wrong with Fire tanking, you just need a group to look past Ice being norm and feel confident with the team.
  11. YetAnotherFireTank New Player

I think Paradox is easier than nexus because all you need to know is when and where to dodge bosses. Any player (even ice tanks) will get 1shot if they dont react quickly enough. Im only 124 Sp and the first time I did Paradox i didnt have any exp mods and 1/2 my gear was 85 (85 rings and neck). Unlike Nexus bosses Paradox bosses are harder to aggro (almost impossible to) and they will be randomly chasing everyone, so your job as tank will be to aggro as much as possible but specially do crowd control when adds spawn.
  12. Dark Horus Dedicated Player

I'll try to do another video next week with no game sound
  13. Dogico Loyal Player

I use Overheat for ranged aggro, no need to use a pull on a boss that can't be ccd.
  14. Eminence Dedicated Player

My first time tanking nexus was as fire with dps gear on, all I will say is phase dodge. Good luck