Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Feb 2, 2015.

1. ScrawnyRonnie Member

You do realize SOE has kept PlanetSide 1 running free to play since last April/May right? They've made no money from subscriptions. So no, I wasn't kidding. People still play it and enjoy the game, so I really hope they let the game live on. That was my "I hope this new company really meant 'nothing will change'".
  2. tannerholb New Member

does this mean planetside 2 could possibly come to xbox one
  3. Aceoyame New Member

Most likely yes with even more pain for the PC users. PS4 optimization has been a brutal process for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Shailas New Member

This will be bad for all concerned in the long run. I've been a continuous SOE customer since May of 2000 and I'll miss the company. Investment firms only care about money (not games and certainly not pesky customers) so I am quite afraid of what this will do to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Aceoyame New Member

This whole thing is going to suck hard.

I work for a company that was bought in 2012 and it has been nothing but mass firings and incompetence everywhere all in the name of shareholder returns. I remember 5 days before chistmas in 2013 we let 35 people go. It was awful. That being after we shipped our call center that was in-house to Manilla. Between my location and another 3 hours away that was over 300 jobs gone.

There will be even less resources. Take a look at this companies' ****** portfolio. The only thing that sticks out to me is Rhapsody. Know anyone that actually uses that? I sure as **** don't. They bought SOE for a song because of the lawsuit as well as high development costs. SOE built out too many games with too little of a profit margin. All of the subscription changes as of late were an effort to try to save it but it appears Sony showed them the door and sold them off.

Make no mistake. Things WILL go downhill from here. How far, time will only tell. I am DEFINITELY not signing up for a membership again after this. I am not going to support the same type of business practices that are going to make people lose jobs. I have grown sick of it seeing it where I work.
  6. Omagawd New Member

They break games...

Please tell me it's intentional
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Will Power New Member

How is my game DCUO going to work now that your breaking away from SOE. Should I start fearing that my game will be shut down with out Sony?
  8. Gooberderp New Member

#DCUOONXBOX
  9. Dr Machflame New Member

Hmmm. Something smells like a group run by militant leftists actually DID just take over Sony and honestly, something about this makes me hope and pray that that's not true...used to play STO and a Chinese-based company named Perfect World International took Cryptic Studios, the publisher of STO, over by using the American-based subsidary, Perfect World ENTERTAINMENT. Now, due to changes that have simply been ruining the game due to them being rolled out when they were far from ready, and all the bugs that have been coming with it, the player base-and with it, the money that is rolling in-has severely been dropping. I fear that this will also happen with SOE's player base, especially on the game that I play of theirs, DCUO...
  10. Maccabee New Member

My sons and I have been playing Everquest II for over six years now, as p2p. We have two accounts. Both of my sons are physically disabled, and this game lets them do things in a virtual world, like run and swim and have snowball fights, that most people take for granted they can do in real life. This is their window to normalcy, with a spin that they can also fight dragons, save the day, and be the hero.
    It's very important to them, so I haven't minded paying for two accounts.
    We are very much looking forward to Everquest Next, so I will say this.
    If Columbus Nova, ( and its parent company, Renova ) will keep the developer with the most vision for EQN, Dave Georgeson, then I'll stay. From what I followed of EQN's development, he has been the most faithful with the vision of what I hope the game will be, the next revolution in MMO gaming.
    If there comes a day that I discover Dave is gone, then I will sadly but gently move my sons to another game. Better they have their interests gently guided elsewhere, than to have it suddenly cut off one day by some corporate surprise.
    I have hopes that this will work out, but I'm also a realist.
    I've been through a corporate buyout / venture capital infusion (with capture of shares majority ) before. It seldom proceeds without a bloodbath.
    If I worked for SOE, I would be updating my resume and calling up old friends in other companies just in case. Always have a lifevest handy, because companies are like ships, and the fleet admiral makes hard choices.
  11. Starleap New Member

Guys, it's amazing that this didn't happen sooner. SOE have unfortunately been a cash grabber since EQ2 went F2P. They are a company, they have actually sat down around a table and came down to the conclusion that their money making solutions are a great idea... Do you honestly think that its going to end well for Landmark, EQN and H1Z1? They have Landmark still in Alpha! YES I SAID ALPHA! Just compare, please i dare you, please compare Landmark to other MMO's and see how little Landmark have to offer. I bet its going to be closed beta till summer end and MAYBE a release this fall/winter. 2 Years in Alpha/Beta? people are gonna be sick tired of landmark before its released. And this is happening RIGHT now with H1Z1. Its gonna be so long in the open that when it finally releases, people have been playing it for over a year. And that's another thing, (Early Access)Pre-Alpha/Alpha pay to play? IT SHOULD BE FREE! This is a trend that HAVE to stop, paying for finding bugs and coming up with features for their new games is just wrong, this SHOULD be the developers job, not ours! They can have polls? well that worked out nice for EQN...It's to give a false perception that we actually contribute to any concretely. They might take something from our answers but we never have a direct control over anything. Its their game, even tho they say its ours, it have to fit their vision. Although i LOVE the idea of where they want EQN to head in, parkour, Story Bricks, Tiers of levels, and so on, its still a company, its gonna find out ways to make money on weird and stupid ways that hurts the gamer.

They have lost the touch, they are just another gaming company, and i will stand by what i say to the opposite is proven. Things are taking to long, they have exposed the games to early, paying for alpha is NOT a healthy trend, money grabber company buying another money grabber company is gonna hurt us.

Guys, I'm afraid we lost SOE for a long time ago.

Ps: Landmark/H1Z1/ EQN: Fix the foggy atmosphere! have a gamma slider, the game engine looks so...washed out. Have this foggy atmosphere as a weather system rather then constant. I want to see the colors and details!
  12. Greylocke New Member

No idea how this will go. I just hope EQ is safe.
  13. Narbbays New Member

What all of us, your supportive and beloved user base, want to know is...

How will StationCash be affected?

Many of us not only subscribe to several games, but we also hold station cash that we paid for, we don't want to wake up one day and see our virtual currency used in lieu of dollars for the sake of expediency on these games suddenly disappear.

What about those who have purchased memberships and subscriptions to various games?

I have a lifetime subscription to DCUO that I purchased long before they made them un-purchasable. I'm sure many others have similar grandfathered accounts with other SOE(Now DayBreak) games...Will you honor this? Or should we all put some popcorn in the microwave in preparation for the disaster that will ensue.

As often happens with mergers and acquisitions, it's always business as usual in the official statement followed by tears by people being shafted. What we all want to know is... Will we be shafted?

A sincere and short response on your behalf would be welcome at this juncture.
  14. Starleap New Member

$medley said that "Station cash" will just be rebranded, nothing else.
  15. Karen New Member

So what comes after sunset....daybreak....it probably is referring to the company, but some can't help but think for certain games...
  16. Alriff New Member

Hi!
    Hope daybreak will be great for all of you and your games.
    By the way...
    Maybe there is a possibillity that Vanguard will rise again? ;) :) ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  17. King Feraligatr Member

I'm mostly concerned with what will happen to Planetside 1. I at least hope it will be kept running in its current state. Maybe they would even do some bug fixes and GMing for the game(yeah right). Even if they took it down, maybe the source code and assets could be bought by the community (one of the hopes I had). Still, I'm thinking only bad things will happen and that the game will just be killed forever.
  18. Dexella Community Relations

While we will be rebranding (renaming) Station Cash in the near future, nothing will happen to your account balances.

There will also be no immediate impact on All Access membership.

All (former SOE/now Daybreak) games will continue on their current path of development and operations. And, as our President John Smedley mentioned on Twitter, we are still making EverQuest Next. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Varlantia New Member

Games like Free Realms were going in a great direction that could have brought in new players with some effort. Could this happen in the future?
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Asukii New Member

But what about EQ/EQ2? If they drop those I think I'm good on EQ next.