ZOE Is still a problem.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Ned, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Furluge

I wouldn't mind doing, though I'm a bit tempted to just go the easy route and livestream some ZOE gameplay and post the videos instead. I find that if I want to pick up a random open zerg platoon on waterson and waste 15-30 minutes I can do that pretty easy in a ZOE max.

Only reason I was actually in danger today was that I decided it'd be lots of fun to punch someone through a spawn shield. ;p
  2. Xasapis

Well, the idea is that I have absolutely all weapons fully upgraded, all armors and all abilities at maximum tier. So with the help of another person that could swap between engineer (to save us time) and medic (in case of accidental deaths), we could test all those claims about 1-shot weapons and how much actual damage is done when ZOE is active.
    Ideally we would test:
    • Default rocket launcher
    • Decimator
    • Engineer AV turret
    • MAX anti vehicle weapons (both)
    • Perhaps shots from popular vehicle weapons as well (for example, marauder, vulcan, MBT main cannon etc.)
    for all three possibilities of default (or nano-repair armor, amounts to the same protection), flak and kinetic.
  3. DocteurVK

God lord, people are still posting on this thread?

ZOE has been balanced a while ago now, why don't people stop complaining uselessly on this topic?
  4. Peter Daniel

So now TR want ZOE too? With Fractures would be fun for sure...
  5. Syre Lancaster

I agree wholehearted with the OP. Because the Vanu have the best MAX ability, I see them pull about 5 to 10 times the amount of Maxes that the other factions do.

I think the best solution is to let the Vanu keep their ZOE's just add a cooldown after activation so that HAVE to keep it on for at least 30 seconds and then make it so we can lock onto them with missiles while they are ZOEing all around. I can just imagine the massive Vanu outcry when their entire front line collapses to a handful of heavies with Strikers.

I think we'd the Vanu MAX numbers return to a stable population in a very short time.
  6. Xasapis

Well, according to the last information we had from Higby, TR pull the most MAXes from all the empires, regardless of how it looks like.

Also all MAX produce identical results apparently.
  7. Geomancer

Heh... that would actually be a kind of neat idea. Make a set of Susan G. Komen for the Cure pink camos and such and have the proceeds go to the foundation.
    • Up x 1
  8. BITES

Again I'm not anti ZOE, and its apparent slow transition into a "boogey man" where everyone screams ZOE!! like they just saw a fookin zombie! ... but this bit...
    .. is definitely incorrect. Unfortunately due to our apprarent "niche" (of which we don't even dominate in... 0.1 TTK etc etc see the plethora of threads) NC maxes based current stats are still lagging behind:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QVFWS3hQQnZETWp1SmRZYk1oSWc&usp=sharing#gid=1
    Note ... this AI .. so it doesnt include Frac maxes etc which are doing pretty sweet at the moment etc ...
    And no .. Ravens/Falcons do NOT make a huge dent in those digits.
  9. deggy

That's a REALLY good idea. I like it.

Add decals for all sorts of organizations, send __% of the proceeds from those decals to those organizations. Susan G. Komen, Make-A-Wish, all those various charities.
  10. Xasapis

I didn't say that. No forum warrior said that. Clegg, the developer said it when questioned a couple weeks ago in one of the twitch.tv night ops. Not entirely sure what to make of it, because I also believe that certain balance passes that lowered the NC MAX effectiveness need to be reverted. However, either the developers have some different set of stats, from which they measure effectiveness, or the criteria we and they use are different.
  11. Clockwerk

Awww.... look at all that math hard work and dedication.

I'm starting to conclude that you are having some serious issue with common sense comprehension (Yes just common sense). It's like Shot gun doesn't OHKO but it just shoots 10 bullets at once.......

What?! Dat logic right there meng; it dumbfounded me. Also, the irony hits hard when you put that "Cue more strawman arguements", I'm not so sure if you actually understand what it means as well as your argument.

Whatever the cave you escape from, common sense must not exist there.

Have a nice day, sir.
  12. Anvildude

I do wish they had listened to some of the suggestions. Personally, I think an intangibility drive would have been amazing- have us go all glowy still, but make us impervious to bullets and unable to fire. Maybe let us walk through walls...
  13. BITES

A shotgun shoots one shell per pull/cycle (eg automatic shotguns that repeat fire), that buckshot/pellets or round is all contained in the same shell.
    Shotgun Shell (And all that comprises it) = One Bullet/Shell, eg "He was shot once in the chest" with most shotguns using shells/buck/pellets ... does not magically become.
    Honestly try google, its pretty neat for answering these basic questions.

..yeah we're done here.
  14. BITES

Apologies :), text sometimes makes sarcasm hard to read :p
  15. Clockwerk

"the Light Assault was shot once in the chest by NC max and it instant kills him."

And what is this I don't even... what's with "try google for basic questions"? What?

I'm sorry but I just got brainfart from reading your post, and your flawed, derailed argument seriously gave me the brain aneurysm. The amount of nonsense you pooped out is just soaring through the roof man.

gahhhhhhhhhhh
  16. Clockwerk

17. Makora

ZOE is not balanced. Why? Because it gives a direct damage buff. You could argue that the same is for lockdown but just hear me out. I might just do a separate thread about this.

MAX weapons, without any damage-buffs are kind of "half a weapon" when used one at a time. Think about it. Why were scatmaxes so impossibly dangerous in CQB? Because both guns were equal to a separate weapon. You see, you basically had half the TTK of a standard shotgunner because you, in essence had two shotguns.
    Now TR and VS did not have that option. At best having the dual-setup meant that you had the damage equivalent of a single assault rifle/carbine. While as the NC max could carry TWO shotguns at once.

Here is where ZOE completely bombs in balance department. The damage buff allows it to reach a point where either gun has the potential DPS of a separate infantry weapon. WITHOUT the range limitation of the pre-nerf NC MAXes. The fire-rate is slower, but the damage is high enough that a single MAX has the potential firepower of TWO separate infantry weapons.
    TR's Onslaught has the firerate of 496 RPM. With the damage less then that of a carbine and the accuracy of a shotgun you have the practical damage output of a single rifle if dualed. With Lockdown you of course can boost the ROF but the exact values per weapon are not known, we only have player made observations but even at max rank I doubt you would reach a point where if you sat one down with whatever dual loadout that you'd reach the potential damage output of two separate weapons.

Now, taking all this into consideration, with ZOE we have a soldier that is considerably more durable then even the most specked out heavy, that moves as fast (if not faster) then infantry AND has the potential to shoot you as if you got ganked by two separate people, I.E. twice the damage output.
    Now, to balance this rather ridiculous damage output AND movement speed they put in a rather pitiful armor negation. Even after the "nerf" it is still embarrassing to consider it as that.

ZOE also directly replaces the standard Dash ability, it doesn't compete with it. But that is a bit different problem considering this game is supposed to be about sidegrades and that every unlock is viable regardless of price or if you had it at the start.

As I think ZOE should not replace Dash, you scrap the speed boost, give the ability a 3 second timer to both enable and disable it during which the MAX is IMMOBILE. Risk and Reward. You can deal more damage but do deal that damage you are exposed to enemy fire. And since you can simply flick it on and off, you are putting yourself into a position where you either have to choose to be tanky or cannony, without being able to switch between them at the drop of a hat.
    This wouldn't address the issue of the ZOE MAX having the potential damage output that is way above of what a MAX should have (ironic, I know). Without the speed boost, one of the most important MAX limitations is restored. You should ALWAYS be able to outrun a MAX, but ZOE throws that out the window.

Now if only my ravings made sense...
  18. Ganelon

The last part is wrong. TR MAXes are underperforming when compared to other MAXes.

Of course, this might just be the default Cycler/Pounder MAX skewing all the stats.

Never faced a ZOE Comet MAX I suppose.
  19. Xasapis

I really can't tell at this point which MAX is performing better or worse, with all the people throwing stats around. If you ask an NC, he'll tell you his MAX underperforms. What I do know is that certain weapons are too good and certain abilities are too good. And vice versa, certain weapons need improvement and certain abilities need redesign.
  20. Ganelon

It's what Higby said. The TR MAX is underperforming.

Now, I'm not asking for buffs, I'm simply stating what Higby said and what might be the cause (Pounder as default weapon).