Your opinions on Voice Chat software

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hiding in VR, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Hiding in VR

Hi All,

Just curious what everyone is using for voice chat. I mainly use Skype but have been finding that I cannot get the sound balance right with Planetside 2, that Skype overwhelms the game, and the game sounds are too quiet.

So I am looking to use something else. I haven't used Teamspeak in years, is that what everyone uses? I have heard good things about Mumble but no personal experience. Is the in-game chat worth using? Any experience or advice duly appreciated :)

cheers
  2. Tommyp2006

My issue with in game voice chat is the quality, the audio quality on it isn't very good. I love teamspeak myself, lots of customization options with it, the only issue with it being that it isn't free, but if you plan on running an outfit, it's a good thing to have.
  3. Hiding in VR

You have to pay for teamspeak! When did that happen?
  4. Tommyp2006

you have to pay for the server, not the client
  5. Hicksimus

If I had to choose between TS and Mumble I would choose TS as I find it is slightly easier to use and that means less time explaining things to people who are new to it. Outside of that I prefer Mumble for some more advanced things. Both are excellent and will sound better than PS2 if your server's bandwidtch can handle the appropriate sound quality setting.

If you can deal with poor sound quality SoE has done a pretty solid job with the in game voice (once you figure out the keybindings! Ex. + and - to adjust the levels of the voices of others while they are talking)
  6. reydelchicken

My internet is too bad to use an external program, if I do this I will get huge desync issues and not be able to play the game.

Otherwise, I like mumble better out of the two because of the overlay, which I use when doing something off the internet on my PC and talking to people.
  7. Fredfred

Teamspeak 3 >>>>>>>>> Mumble >>>>>>In-game>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skype >>>>> Ventrilo

Get TS3, very customizable.
    Mumble, you cannot change individuals users volume. But otherwise, okay.
    In-game is unreliable and stops working a lot the time.
    Ventilo probably still has a lot of asshats that hack into your server and harass you.
    • Up x 1
  8. lNeBl

Ventrilo all day.
  9. Elrobochanco

First off, the in game system is good enough to use in a pinch. Proximity chat is great, its useful to talk to people in a vehicle with you just to say when to drop, and ask for help. Also the best way to co-ordinate between outfits is still in game (anyone who tells you otherwise is crippling their faction).

Outside of the game I have tried TS, Skype, and Mumble, and I think mumble is the absolute best.

Skype: works fine for a couple people but degrades to unreliable garbage when you have a group the size of a single squad. I guess it's better than xbox live used to be, but not much.

TS: Functional, never really blew me away in quality but definitely leagues beyond skype, not free to run a server.

Mumble: Great quality even with a huge amount of people (it may sound crazy but its just like being in a real crowd, loud but distinguishable). Can be run on your own hardware for free, so it's very easy to set up a small server for friends. Quality is super configurable, and the overlay is nice and configurable to be useful as well. Also has positional audio plugins for many games.

I mean really you can try them all for free. So make your own final judgement.
  10. Hiding in VR

I am still interested in when that happened. I have run TS servers in the past :(

Still, I guess if they can make a business out of it, then good for them.
  11. Prudentia

High Capacity Servers require quite a bit of bandwith and you don't want a 100+ slot server with a Platoon or 2 on it while playing a game tanking your rig.
  12. Hibiki54

I have use pretty much every VOIP out there.

Teamspeak is great for general organization and is a bit easier to use for the end user.

Mumble has the best in terms of voice quality and it uses less resources than Teamspeak. It can be a bit trickier to adjust and fine tune compared to Teamspeak.
  13. Hiding in VR

I guess thats right. I've never had to support the numbers you might want for a PS2 platoon