Your favorite Engineer Suit cert?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by TokyoShoe, Nov 29, 2012.

1. TokyoShoe

What is the Suit certification that you find yourself equipping the most / make the most use of?

Some engineers I speak with say that it is crazy to cert in anything other than Shield Recharge. Other engineers say that Health bonuses are where it's at. What's your favorite?
  2. DurandaI

I personally use health bonus, I have 4 certs into it now (20%) health and i cant tell you how many times I have gotten out of fights with 1 bar of health all because of extra health
    • Up x 1
  3. TokyoShoe

Thanks for chime in, this is exactly the kind of information I'm wanting to read.

I guess it's a good thing that there's so many options you can go with.. but it is definitely making it hard for me to decide. I've already got Rank 2 in Health+ so I may just stick with that for now.
  4. SmileyBomb

You can NEVER go wrong with more health in ANY game you play. However, in this game, the utility suit allowing you to carry more than 1 C4 (name slips my mind atm) is not a bad investment either. Place C4 both entrances to a generator room, squat in the corner behind a shielded mana turret, and blow them sneaky suckers away.

Personally, I find the shield regen lame. The personal shield is usually gone in two hits anyways and it never completely eliminates the cooldown after receiving damage. Health, on the other-hand, is persistent.
  5. Kracken

Health. I'm not a fan of C4, I want the Bettys - place and forget. Then boom profit.
  6. Riftmaster

I originally screwed up and put points in shield regen, health, and flak armor...didn't think that i actually needed to equip the certed mod, thus preventing me from using all 3.

After I realized, I at first put shield regen on, but after a little thought switched to health. I mean explosive protection is a bit situational, shield regen is kinda pointless (wait a few more seconds and your shield will regen just the same) and also a bit situational, but health can keep you alive just that little bit longer so you can take out the player trying to kill you.

Edit: That said, if you were in a well-coordinated squad, with a healer at your back keeping you alive, switching to Flak armor if the enemy is throwing lots of rockets downrage, or shield regen perhaps...could be a viable option.
  7. Goats

I have flak armor, but there's a little nagging voice in my head asking why I want 20% less damage from explosions instead of being able to take 20% more damage from everything. Whatever, though. It doesn't really matter that much.
  8. TehTee

Don't forget that the HP boost does not increase your shield, which is half your hp, whereas the flak armor will reduce all explosive damage, even that taken on the shield. Nice for repairing tanks under heavy fire and such.
  9. NIL0S

Flak, no doubt. A life saver when trying to repair tanks under fire at the frontlines.
  10. Riftmaster

Hmm, I have a few levels of that, have to give it a try...
  11. FrothyMug

I'll add +1 to flak armor. It's useful because you'll be spending a lot of time driving and repairing your own vehicle, and also reparing everyone else while you might be taking fire. Also, if you are playing with explosives and one goes off a little sooner than expected, it might save your life :)
  12. Patooie

I noticed a HUGE difference with the flak upgrade. When I'm circling the sides of a MBT repairing that is underfire the radius explosion damage doesn't hurt nearly as much and I've noted a much longer survival rate in these situations. Also useful when manning a turret and a lobbed grenade tickles my wedding tackle.
  13. Vortok

Been fleshing out medic certs first, but my thought is Flak is the way to go for Engineer if you just want to cert one suit type as your general purpose "always using this" option.

Unlike the medic you don't have a good way to heal yourself (barring using the utility slot on med/resto kits) other than changing to medic and self healing at a station so the extra health isn't as much of a long term survival boost as it would be for a medic in my opinion and is more of a "better odds for that first fight or two each life" thing (love nanoweave on the medic - with the 20% boost I can often survive nades if I'm not standing on top of them with about 3 bars of health left). Great if you have lots of medics around to constantly top you off but not always available. And usually if they are, it's in a huge fight which would be point one. Assuming health/shield values are the same at base, a 20% boost to health is essentially 10% more total health/shields.

If you're in a huge fight, nades are often being chucked around so the more flak the merrier (and of course flak helps your shield resist it too whereas nanoweave just tanks it with extra health). In such a situation flak is of increased value.

The other main point is if you drive vehicles (sunderer/tank mainly, but works for others) and you need to repair the vehicle, most of the damage being sent the vehicle's way that you're exposed to while repairing is going to be explosive be it tank shells, HA rockets, ESF lolpods, etc. Would to me seem like it would be another situation that flak shines over other options.

Also, jihading enemy tanks with tank mines - totally explosive damage from their main gun if they see you.

So if you're often in situations like that then Flak seems pretty strong.

Utility pouch would probably only be worth it if you're using C4 as it's cheaper than the 500 for a normal second C4. Far too expensive cert line to go any further in to be picking it up currently in my opinion (maybe of use in the future when we have certs to spare for proxy/tank mine blankets). Rank 2 is a tank mine, but it costs 600 for the two ranks (and rank 1 does nothing if you don't use C4) whereas it's just 200 for the third tank mine normally while allowing you to use another suit slot. As mines are generally best deployed in pairs I wouldn't bother with either until mine guard armor becomes more common. Though if the enemy vehicle is certed heavily into mine guard then 3 mines (or even 4 if they have a few ranks - if I'm doing math competently) won't cut it and you'd be better off with C4 - and it'd only be 100 certs more to have 3 C4 vs the cost of 4 mines. All in all the cert line seems vastly overpriced for what it offers. Guess it's meant as a down the road unlock.

I don't grenade spam enough for that suit to be worth it and the extra magazine one is pretty lulzy that it's even an option given you currently always have the ability to drop an ammo box.
  14. KLECKO

I use flak armor too.I was getting tired of dieing from friendlys who are stupid.I dont really know which one is best
  15. DeadlyShoe

Flak armor all the way.

Best way to live through the rocket hail on your MANA turret... :)
  16. Uzii

Gone with Health here. Being a more infantry oriented player, as opposed to rolling with the vehicles, the health seems universally better. But I can imagine Flak being very useful should you be in the way of explosions frequently.
  17. TokyoShoe

I definitely see everyone's points regarding the Flak Armor certifications, to be sure. However, less than 15% of my deaths are explosion related. You know what my number one enemy is right now?

Bullets.

Repairing a turret? Sniper ventilates my skull.
    Stationed at my MANA turret? Someone with a carbine side steps my line of fire and mows me down.
    Repairing a Sunderer? A shotgun carrier suddenly decides I need my spine adjusted.
    Running up over a hill? MAX suit mows me down with gun fire.

I would say more than 75% of my deaths are bullet-related. EASILY. That makes Flak Armor less than ideal for me I think. That is one of the primary reasons why I figured either Shield Regen or Plus Health would be the big ticket to my survival in the long run. I see the benefits to the ammo belt or utility pouch as well, but if I am not alive to use them it becomes rather useless.

Hmm. Still deciding. I may just end up cert'ing into both and just seeing which one is better. The best way to do things like this sometimes is just to give it a trial run, yes?
  18. Krona

Nanoweave is basically OP considering it's almost always the best choice on EVERY CLASS.

However flak definitely has its advantage for the combat engineer that fixes vehicles under fire.

Utility pouch obviously has it's...utility, however it's ridiculously expensive to cert up depending on what you use it for.
  19. Lopatnik

I always go for that flak armor. Generaly if someone get's the drop on my I'm dead nanoveawe or not. But there is that moment where that grenade blows next to you, everyone is dead except for you. *restoration kit stab*
  20. Ryekir

Flak armor, hands down. With the amount of time I spend repairing things with explosions going on all around me, it really helps. Plus, it lets you survive grenades and mines a lot better.

I used the Utility Belt for the longest time in beta, but honestly I don't think the benefits outweigh having to give up any of the other suit mods which will keep you alive more. I rarely find myself in a situation where I need more than 2 C4 at a time, I don't use the AT mines all that much, and the cert cost it way too high to just get one more bouncing betty.