Your dynamic infantry rendering solution hit critical mass last night.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flarestar, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Cyridius

This isn't a sustainable issue.
    The game wasn't ready for release with these kinds of issues.
    If the community unites behind this and makes it THE discussion it might become top priority. Right now the game is nearly unplayable.
  2. Flarestar

To be blunt: 13 years of experience with SOE owned or published games is the point of this thread.

If I had a dollar for the number of times I've heard "We know it's an issue, we're working on it, promise", from SOE I'd be filthy rich and living on an island somewhere.

The majority of the threads that have touched on this issue have either included it as part of a set of other problems, or been complaints specific to certain situations.

This thread is intended to specifically highlight this problem, and hopefully stay highly visible. The only thing that we've ever seen cause an issue to remain a priority for SOE is a united playerbase staying highly vocal and visible about a specific, defined problem.

If you think it's pointless and really trust that we can just drop the issue and it will get fixed, I have this fortune from when I came into my inheritance as Nigerian royalty that I could use some help transferring to the United States.
    • Up x 2
  3. WilsonMG

I've been wondering why there's been several times in the bigger fights that I'll be running along and all of a sudden an enemy materializes right in front of me, or disappears while running away... Explains some quirkiness.
  4. Sapperactual

I normally am on the optimistic side when it comes to bugs and the like in new games that I am interested in and take them rather lightheartedly as a quirk, but this has been just generally frustrating. So many times have I not only missed out on a good solid firefight but also led to massive TK's among a push somewhere when you know there were enemies (the last time they rendered for you) so you proceed to throw a frag, only to have TK'd half a squad of friendlies because they cleared that hallway or what-have-you or run into a seemingly safe room only to be staring down the barrels of hundreds of Gauss Rifles with nothing more then an amazed look on your face and soiled breeches to your name.

The latter I get a good laugh out of more often then being frustrated but my cheerfulness in the face of adversity can only go so far until I start laughing myself into a padded room screaming "THE RENDERING IS COMING"
    • Up x 2
  5. MrBloodworth

No, not really. The one Smed and one of the programers responded to was about this directly.

Anyway, fight the good fight I guess. One day people may realize that thread count does not add any more hours in a day. They are working on it. It will get fixed, or it won't.
  6. TheRagingGerbil

Render enemies, de-render friendlies.
  7. Odin

Its annoying but i really think were running into the limitation of planetside2 or any modern game trying to do this giant scale. In able to have the big fights and keep performance up for people with less than adequate hardware they had to make a concession and this was it unfortunately.
    I just leave those battles because its no fun, not sure there is even a answer for it.
    There is a reason bf3 only has 64 players max i guess.
  8. Ironhelix

I'm not saying that this doesn't happen to some people, but I have NEVER seen this issue, and I have been in FAR bigger battles than the one in the above video. In fact, I regularly marvel at how this DOESN'T happen with so many people running around.
  9. MrBloodworth

10. Vixus

That may be, but our opinion outweighs yours and that's why this thread is continuously being bumped.
    SOE made their bed, and now they sleep in it. They knew this was going to happen, and they let it happen.
    Don't blame the community for getting upset about that, MrBloodworth.

Sometimes the only way to get things done is to put it in a pressure cooker and let it do it's thing and that's what happens here.

--

11. SilentWindOfDoom

The scary part is this could possibly be such a core mechanic that they will not be able to fix it for six months, if at all. This is obviously their way of making this game run at all with this many players, you're asking them to find a better solution.. which i am sure they would have implemented from the getgo had it been available to them.
  12. Flarestar

You're welcome to keep thread-********, as it acts as a bump every time you do it. That being said, if you don't have anything useful to contribute regarding this topic, I'd appreciate it if you simply made your own thread regarding forum etiquette and effective posting practices.
  13. MrBloodworth

What a ridiculous post.

Here is another one.

Screaming over and over again will not make it happen any faster. Its not a case of them holding back a fix because...well I have no idea why you think that. Only Children think this way.
  14. Kenny007

Having spent a good chunk of my night last night in a ridiculously drawn out Mekala fight (seriously have no idea why my outfit would not push the offenders out despite multiple opportunities) I have finally run into this firsthand.

And despite the early complaints from snipers, I was also a victim of how it could work in their favor. Was using a turret (engineer derivative) to cover the outside from the second floor and took a clean shot to the face from a sniper that didn't render (kill confirmation screen confirmed I was killed by a ghost). My best guess as to what happened is that I noticed turrets rendered a bit further out than infantry would and if rendered, you could tell whether or not they were firing. Said ghost sniper saw a firing turret and despite probably looking unmanned, figured correctly someone was behind there and shot at the convenient face gap. I stopped using turrets after that, not that infantry were rendering for me to shoot anyways.

Certainly wasn't as bad as that video showed a page or two ago, but it was pretty jarring at the shield wall battle. Hope they can get this resolved soon. The draw distance for Liberator gunners is also damning.
  15. Flarestar

On the contrary, screaming over and over again quite often makes things happen faster. There's even this old adage about squeaky wheels and grease specifically because of that. It's because of this little thing called "priorities" that you might have heard mentioned at some point. In the software world, you never have just one problem. You have lots of them. When you choose which ones you're working on, you choose them based on a number of factors - one of which is exactly just how pissed off your users are about that particular problem. You also choose how much of your resources you devote to a given problem in a specific development cycle, again with the user impact as one of the most critical criteria.

If I seem condescending with the tone of this response, that's because it is. You seem to be completely unaware that they have more than one plate spinning, and to believe that development companies just acknowledge a problem and then a fix magically appears and nothing can be done to alter how fast that fix makes it to production, and that's absolutely incorrect. That's why this post exists. To attempt to make absolutely sure that they realize just how critical this issue is. You feel that that is unnecessary, and that's fine. It brands you as pretty ignorant regarding SOE's typical handling of player concerns, but really that's your problem, not mine.

Again, thank you for the bumps.
    • Up x 1
  16. MrBloodworth

17. Flarestar

So just making idle conversation at this point. Do you troll every post that's about an issue that's been discussed previously? Or is this a special case for you?
  18. Ryloxx

Completely agree OP, it's just one more thing to add to the list for me however. There isn't an excuse for it either. Example:

Last night I was at a base during prime time. I was running around the outer perimeter of the main structure, and as I turned corners would have enemies "pop" in 5 feet in front of me. Seeing that I was still able to perform well and kill just about anyone doing this, I'm going to assume that is was affecting everyone there.
  19. Stride

I don't really understand whether this is supposed to be a server issue or a client issue nor have I ever experienced the problem of having less rendering distances even in large scale battles.
  20. Flarestar

It's a server issue. It might potentially BECOME a client issue, depending on what they do if they fix it, but it's currently entirely server side.