Your current ALERT system does not work, here is why

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zizoubaba, Nov 30, 2018.

1. grazr

I play on Cobalt and i've noticed a number of issues with the alerts.

A) A LOT of the alerts occur with offensively low populations which means variables such as organised vs disorganised play are maximised. So even populations don't really amount to "even fights". This isn't so much an issue of the game since the game cannot control who chooses to organise themselves or not and the game isn't designed for low population fights, although the unstable warpgate events that lock many of the hexes help to consolidate fights, they tend to oddly focus and exacerbate the issue as they funnel the organised and disorganised players into head on battles. When i log in it always feels to be at the changing point of an alert which is frustrating because the server empties afterwards. Long story short, the alerts happen too frequently when the population is low.

B) NC have a high population on Cobalt so they start off events very strong, capturing multiple bases very early, but this typically results in the other 2 factions fighting only NC in retaliation or spite. This has been a known phenomenon (that isn't faction specific) since the advent of alerts. This trend tends to stick for the rest of the alert and probably explains to some extent why NC lose most of their alerts. Of the last couple alerts i've seen NC have lost pretty much every one and the one i saw that they won, they won by 1% territory in a last second base capture. Balance issues aside, there seem to be psychological contributions to the way alerts are fought.
    • Up x 1
  2. XRIST0

Something needs to change with continent capture alerts, it almost always ends up with 2 factions against 1 and it is really, really infuriating having 2 massive zergs on either side of your fronts while the others aren't even really engaging each other.

I really love this game, and have played it for 6 years but im not going to deny I don't feel like punching a hole through my monitor at times.. There is so much imbalance in this game its not even funny.
    • Up x 1
  3. Rooklie

Alerts are fine, if you don't want to participate in them, you don't have to.

Every player should be able to play as they like!
  4. Inogine

There's also the fact that players will do as players will. Short of forcing people's hands into fighting in one spot for ultimate control of the galaxy... People are gonna do what they want. It's not the system's fault, it's on the players.
  5. DeadlyOmen

If one perceives that one's team is not interested in alerts, one may need to change their perspective.
  6. CornProducts

Dang, I feel bad for some of you guys on different servers. Alerts on Connery, especially on prime time, are always down-to-the-wire, last minute insanity as outfits on command chat are coordinating drops and movements to get that last 1%.

There are groups that just tend to stick to a lane too, and there's a need for folks not watching the alert overall. But calling the alert system boring, or malfunctioning doesn't really hold up on my server. I think it really comes down to outfits' willingness to get their guys organized, and that really depends on the overall player preference in an outfit.
    • Up x 2
  7. Inogine

That's been my feeling as well on Emerald with TR. We may not win a whole lot, but it's not for lack of trying. I've listened in on command issuing retreats and regroups before attacking key points or holding others. Had a few ties these past few days. (That darned .3 giving the other team the win) Generally it's down to the wire unless a side started with a landslide number in territories and pop. Even then, it can usually be reversed in the time given if the varying sides work towards that goal. It's a three way, not everyone's gonna work for you if they're not on your side. Sometimes people make bad calls, sometimes people want a certain side to lose. That's the glory of it, is it not?
    • Up x 1
  8. Zizoubaba

If people who don't care about the ALERT have a right to have fun.

So do people who do care about the ALERT.

It's that ******* simple.

I really haven't been having fun lately and if I don't matter, you can bet that there are other people on Cobalt who do care about the Alert and are not having fun either.

You (DB) can't just ignore those people..
  9. adamts01

I'm a very objective oriented player, so I can relate. I've come to a few conclusions that have helped me when my faction was being stupid.

Teamwork is OP, and there aren't many leaders anymore. If you want to see more teamwork, then take it upon yourself to make it happen. I've had to chill out, take charge, and learn from others to how to be a better leader, which I've found more than anything means being positive and motivational.

There are too many players and variables to always win. When worse comes to worse, find a good fight and enjoy the game for the fight.

PS2 is what it is. It's not an objective game at all. It's mostly about individual progression and grind. It's open world nature screams for teamwork, but stats, directives, and the grind foster a selfish playstyle. You just have to accept that mixed bag of players. The best you can do is group up with as many like-minded players as you can.
    • Up x 2