[BUG] You know something's wrong when...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WUNDER8AR, Mar 7, 2015.

1. WUNDER8AR

...you fire up the game and the first thing you get to experience is a gamebreaking bug, That is at least my current experience with the game.

I start PS2, wait till the game's finished loading and for some absurd reason I'll spawn under the map, somewhere out in nomansland or in midair falling to my immediate death. Or everything seems alright at the start, I go to the aircraft terminal, spawn myself a plane and on my way to the next fight I see that my minimap indicator's missing which is pretty detrimental in combat.
    Then I go into the VR to check out some weapons but I can't because for some other weird reason I can't see let alone access any weapon in the character customization screen nor in the shop barring the ones that I already own. Later I switch continents and my crosshairs are missing. Then I switch continents and the landscape will change but the sky remained the previous one (looking good but bad for flying with Hossin fog and render distance on every continent just as an example).

All of these happened to me literally one after another the other day. And I was a little pissed to be perfectly honest. I mean when I have to redeploy or even restart my client after I fired the game up for the first time to fix some random issue just to run into another gamebreaking bug rinse and repeat then there's an actual reason to be somewhat pissed off I guess. Especially since these bugs exist since a while, but never have they happened so frequently to me. All of them seem to be triggered when respawning or switching continents.

Now imagine how new players must think about the game when they install it, start it up and their first spawn is under the map in some weird glitchy spot. A "first impression" like that is unacceptable Imho. And it's quite annoying. These issues need fixing asap.

Sorry for the rant but I had to vent some of my frustration.
  2. FateJH

Okay.
    Not game breaking, unless you never managed to properly spawn anywhere.
    Not game breaking. (To better cope in this situation, switch to the rotating minimap option and remember you'll always be dead center of the map window while everything in front of you will always be "above.")
    Show stopper in as far as VR is concerned, but not game breaking.
    Terrible inconvenient, but still not game breaking.
    Good bad bug. Not a game breaker.

A game breaking bug crashes to desktop reliably. Or erases character data. Or corrupts game data in memory or on disk. A game breaking bug either brings the whole experience to an immediate resounding halt or inflicts unrecoverable damage that persists in between sessions of play and will lead to an eventual permanent failure. At worst, a very bad game breaking bug can even damage the platform the game is running on. A game breaking bug stops you dead in your tracks while you've done nothing wrong and you are incapable of proceeding as you are or recovering from where you've been stowed.

This part I wholeheatedly agree with.
    • Up x 1
  3. WUNDER8AR

I wasn't exactly prepared for somebody who would come up with a freaking textbook definition of the term gamebreaking and I apologize to you and anyone else who just as pedantic about using terms 100% accurately if I might have misused the term gamebreaking.

Though when I have to restart my client or redeploy a couple of times in a row already at the very beginning of my session in order to have a somewhat normal game experience it is gamebreaking as by your own definition
    , unless you actually perceive watching the launcher and loading screens as part of the experience in which case yeah...I'm still experiencing it^^.

In my opinion whether something's gamebreaking or not is completely up to the conception of the person who is experiencing it. If I log off because I'm fed up with bugs and glitches that keep on messing with my experience, those bugs and glitches might be worth to be considered gamebreaking.

In the end it doesn't even matter though. What matters is that coding issues have caused me to stop playing. Whether you call those issues gamebreaking or not at this point is completely irrelevant. If you leave your pettiness/fanboyism aside for a moment you might start to see things the way I see it. And I have to say that I'm usually a rather tolerant guy when it comes to bugs and glitches except if they're game performance related.

Regardless, the most important aspect to me here is that there's a row of issues whcih, due to their nature of coming up when you first spawn in/switch continents, leave a bad initial impression of the game and as a result might even drive people away from it, which'd be particularly detrimental when it comes to the ones who just downloaded it and fired it up for the first time (no investment done yet hence there's no commitment which makes not spending a dime or even uninstalling rather easy).
    • Up x 2
  4. Klypto

The bugs in this game are prevalent and very annoying.

Right now, I bet at least 98% of the playerbase notice some of the following on a daily basis:

• Shields Not Recharging
    • Wacko Debris
    • Getting Ejected out of Vehicles
    • Invisible Players
    • Occasional Extra reload after Terminal Resupply
    • Slidemonsters
    • Light Assaults Crazy Legs
    • Spawning in the Middle of Nowhere
    • Map rendering spawn points from other continents
    • Squad Deploy and Instant Action sometimes does NOTHING
    • Minimap icons relaying incorrect information
    • Medic Shield Bubbles not rendering if you didn't witness their deployment