You could delete C4 from the game entirely and it would instantly make it better

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Walking Shark, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Walking Shark

C4 is fun, but the price of using it on the game as a whole is too high. It's really satisfying to fly over and and shut down a max rush single handed, or eliminate a main battle tank with a suicide bombing. But being on the receiving end of C4 is a constant stream of interrupted fun with no real defense. Even if you see a light assault coming depending on your relative latency there is a good chance that they'll be able to use clientside magic to one shot kill you before you can do anything. Defending against a sensor shielded LA using drifter or ambusher jets in a tank is also often less a matter of skill than of luck.

Ultimately, it comes down to game design. When facing someone with C4 it is too often the case that my success depends on their failure. There is not much I can proactively do to protect myself from suicide bombers, and every time I lose a high nanite investment to a guy throwing a brick it shuts down whatever I was enjoying at the moment. I don't mind dying, but I do mind dying to things that feel like I never even had a chance to protect myself. As it stands, the game would be better if C4 were just deleted rather than staying the way it is. I'm not really advocating for that. I'd rather see a 1 second plant timer added to it (like the loading wheel) or some kind of better C4 defense then having specialized armor that removes other vital defenses to make C4 reduce me to almost entirely dead instead of one shot killed.

As usual, I have no hope that this will change, and I anticipate that at a certain point I'll simply be C4ed for the last time and cancel my subscription and go play something else, but I'd rather have planetside improved than have to give it up.

If you're planning on telling me to get good, or offering tactical suggestions, I'd like to preemptively thank you for bumping the post. If you're a full blown fanboi and Planetside is your girlfriend and you're going to attack me to defend "her," please seek therapy and engage with the world outside the internet. Your life will be better almost immediately spending five minutes talking to a real person than it will raging in "defense" against "attacks" against your cold, uncaring, indifferent love.
    • Up x 4
  2. Prudentia

sure, i too would love to have an HE Prowler at every base at 10am that could survive anything short of half the people in the fight leaving for 5 minutes to get something heavy to kill it and then get back just in time to start defending the next base.
    • Up x 2
  3. strikearrow

I can see a 1/2 second timer to deal with latency and Client Side Hit Detection problems, but that's all.
  4. utofbu

this is simply dumb. You are that mad at a 2-action item? you can finish off anyone with C4 before they die if you try, if you fail, you lose! I like that kind of non-linear balance. Its like a legitamate quick-action event without any damn buttons you are forced to push. Get over this petty stuff
    • Up x 2
  5. Random05

Remove C4 and remove vehicles too :)
  6. DirArtillerySupport

It really does make the game look dumb.
  7. Doc Jim

I didn't think I would ever have to defend C4... Using C4 means exposing oneself to enemy fire and sacrificing +50 shield points. Yes, C4 may be quite deadly for its price, but if your enemy is going to chuck C4 at you, you can shoot him. If you don't shoot him, that's on you.
    • Up x 1
  8. JobiWan

I've been playing as medic a lot lately and C4 is great for those noobs that want to spoil a fight by bringing a max to a small fight. Or those tanks that sit outside a base cheesing kills with no intention of capturing it.
    • Up x 1
  9. Liewec123

the only reason i HATE c4 is its effectiveness against max,
    especially when LA can sneak across rooftops and then throw it a fair distance like a damn grenade for a oneshot on a unit that costs as much as a lib or an MBT...
    meanwhile 150 resource, buggies require 2 bricks of c4 to destroy...logic.
    (my signature is from clips taken before harassers took 2 bricks to destroy)

if i get c4'd while driving a vehicle then i consider it a L2P issue on my part, i'd got to close to the action,
    but against max it is waaay too effective because max by design is supposed to be in the thick of the battle,
    but currently it won't survive 30 seconds purely because of the ridiculous c4 oneshots.

YES ordnance armour stops the oneshots,
    but then why the hell give suit slot options when one is 100% mandatory?!
    just to tempt us?
    "hey, hate engies who refuse to repair? take this pretty passive regen" "gratz you're dead, idiot! muahaha!"
    "want to survive extra bullets? take this it'll make you more tanky! gratz you're dead, idiot! muahaha!"
    • Up x 4
  10. strikearrow

Max Ordinance armor will even block 2 bricks of c4, which I think is too strong. However, I agree that a harasser should only require 1 brick unless it has max armor or mine guard if the c4 detonates underneath it, in which case I think 2 c4 or 3 landmines should do the trick.
    • Up x 1
  11. Muirgheal

Disregarding the fact that you preemptively denigrated all those who disagree with you...

I disagree with you. Fly over a hovering Lib in a stealth fighter and eject and plant 2 C4 on it and blow it
    out of the sky. I don't know of ANY game that can give that kind of gameplay. The beauty of PS 2 is that
    it allows for so many types of unique gaming experience. Now as the Lib pilot complains
    "I couldn't protect myself" all the infantry players that just wanted a nice ground game to fight in are saying "Thank you!".
    Should we eliminate LIbs? No. The stealth C4-ing is one way the ground players could protect themselves from
    the hated air-to-ground pilot. Same goes with tanks. They are fine sitting on hill shooting into a base killing infantry,
    but the way those infantry protect themselves is by stealth C4ing, which itself can be countered by Engy turrets among other
    things. The beauty of PS 2 is the amazing variety of play styles and tactics. Nerfing ANYTHING just reduces that
    variety and reduces what makes the game special. For example, I never play NC, but the fact that they nerfed their
    MBT's shield pisses me off. I can now fight a Vanguard like any other tank, instead of having to think and adapt to its
    very faction-unique ability. The game is reduced because of that, even though I've died many times to the "unfairness"
    of that shield pre-nerf. Being in a tank and always being tense about the possibility of being C4ed is what makes the game
    fun. For that is the kind of thought invoking game experience that I relish.

Muirgheal
    • Up x 3
  12. Sorrn

c4 are seriously ruinning the game , seriously how a tank can be os by a c4 ? or every vehicles , always a noob contourning the tank and , boom one shoot , same for maxs, maxs is too expensive to be os by a c4 , seriously c4 is ruinning the game
  13. Stunpi

Removing C4 would make it too hard to deal with well-placed and defended sundies, it's already bad enough as it is trying to take out one with 3 - 4 engineers on it and ~90 other people spawning from it. You could lower the health of sundies and other vehicles to compensate for the removal of C4, but then that would also mean a complete re-balance of anti-armour weaponry.

I have had plenty of Max rushes work out in my team's favour when there are enough engineers, medics and other light assaults around to support them. If you are getting owned by a LA suicide rush you aren't getting people to properly cover your sectors and you're positioning yourself poorly. I have nailed plenty of LA using lateral thrusters with ease; using carbines, shotguns and any vehicle because targets that will predictably move in a single direction are incredibly easy to track and kill.
  14. DQCraze

Probably need to look up petitio principii, nice try though. I like C4 and I dont want it to go away, helps even things out when you are undermanned.
  15. Silkensmooth

Tanks already dominate everything. Its very difficult to find any battle outside of a bio dome that isnt being farmed by HE tanks.

Go spend a day trying to light assualt C4 tanks. At the end of the day check your K/D.

It will be .00012 lol.

Only noob tanks die to C4.

Max units shouldnt be in the game, so since they cant outright remove them they had to make them weaker. Working as intended.
    • Up x 1
  16. Sorrn

only noob die to c4 , sure when they are at your back , the problem is , somes guys play always with c4 , full of c4 for infantry or vehicle , he rush with c4 and die after that but he get kill it's what he want , nothing else , he don't care about ratio
  17. CplRDaWiggy

Honestly IMO c4 ain't the issue.

The issue is light assault mobility in conjunction with the instant deletion aspect of c4.

Said it before, this games biggest selling point is the teamwork being used to complete objectives.

Got a problem mbt or sundy? LA with c4 is your go to solution.

We all do it because it is the most effective method. Cry about the risks all you want, but if you expect me to believe a LA suffers the same danger as any other class with c4 available as a means to an end, you're either doing it wrong or deranged.

The principle of a single unit specified by class should be able to do this is anathema to a core principle of this game, which is teamwork being used to complete various tasks.

Edit; b4 the "but RL's have the safety of range!" types get in, remember that a single HA with rockets means duck all squared to an engineer in thr same environment. To take those sundys or mbt's out with rockets requires either team coordination or multiple sources.

Its not the same. One follows the ethos of Planetside, the other is generic fps.
  18. LordKrelas

The LA is the only class where C-4 is actually able to function, outside of beyond-moronic blind enemies
    The speed is pretty much the reason the enemy MBT actually dies - Since it doesn't give the tank the time to fire, if the LA is already able to release C-4.

The risk for other classes, and the limitations, make C-4 unusable for most cases, on all but the LA.
    There is a reason, the C-4 is used by an LA, and even then it has the grand risks involved - the other classes have a solid wall.
    The MBT however, has the easy time.. and near infinite time to handle rockets.

A single Engineer can deny the LA, if they use their gun.
    A single Engineer's spitfire even..
    A single press of W can deny the C-4, let alone on the ground-bound classes.
  19. Rydenan

I think C4 should be removed from LA, for a myriad of reasons.
    - First, with the addition of the RR, they have the ability to quickly 'solo' every ground vehicle in the game, which flies directly in the face of the MMO, team-based style of the game.
    - Second, the most effective anti-armor tactic should be to pull anti-armor vehicles/MAXes. Not to send ceiling Valks to poop out endless streams of C4-tossing drifter LAs, until the enemy armor is destroyed and/or the enemy players get annoyed enough at not being able to shoot all the C4 faries that they leave the fight.
    - Third, C4 is already too much of an anti-everything grenade. It's annoying enough to get killed by a brick that gets chucked 10m through a doorway and has a huge lethal radius. But being on LA allows it to be tossed even further into rooms, lobbed over walls without ever exposing one's self, and now, with Ambushers, allows players to exploit clientside and basically guarantee that they won't be killed before detonating the explosive.
    All in all, C4, like A2G infantry farming, is a huge drain on the fun of the game, IMO. And I'm sure there are many who agree with me. As far as I'm concerned, the amount of fun lost by removing C4 from LA would be far outweighed by the reduction in utter frustration that the tool causes the average player.
  20. LordKrelas

And what would discourage tanks from sitting as close as possible to where infantry are?
    To avoid the medic running forward on the ground, in the only path towards them, where all targets have to be?
    Where it has the easiest time nuking every C-4 user, whom lost the entire needed mobility to place the C-4 in the first place?

C-4 costs nanites per attempt.
    Without C-4 on LA's, every possible infantry AV is either incredibly limited in reach & mobility.. or incredibly predictable.
    While the Vehicle has them ground-level, has the speed advantage, the durability, and the TTK on them.
    Only the LA can reliably get to the target with C-4.

The Ambusher-Jets... Yeah not sure why they got released.
    Finicky as hell, and possibly the one jet-pack, I'd say shouldn't have C-4, due to the sheer speed & latency issue with that specific pack.

IE, you remove C-4 from LA's entirely, you buff every single MBT, and enable them to hard-core farm infantry everywhere easier.