You can't throw a dead cat...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by theVelvetAlley, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Ryo313

i wouldn't go that far...
  2. Catalyist

The way I see is that HAs are either used as pure AI killing machines or for pure AA/AV deterrence. They can't do both simultaneously. So the only meaningful difference in that regard compared to other two-way classes like Engies or Maxes is that they don't have to sprint back to the terminal and equip a different loadout.
    Is that really all people are complaining about?!

No, players complain about being killed by yet another Heavy. And instead of thinking about what went wrong or how they could have outplayed that HA - like they would have with any other opponent - players compare classes and look for abilities/tools that theirs don't possess and then hate on HAs.

A Heavy Assault who is shooting lock-ons at aircraft is not immediately going to own every hostile in the generator room. He may be later. But for that he won't need his rocket launcher!
    So why does it matter?! Why should Engineers suddently be the ones with launchers?!

If someone is jealous that Heavies have everything, instead of complaining about it, they should pull a Heavy themselves and use those advantages to take care of this Sunderer or that Mosquito. After that they can of course switch back to their prefered class for squishy hunting.

I am not regular HA player myself, yes I have gold level on about five guns and pull it only for AA or anti-Harasser purposes nowadays, but I think players need to regain some perspective on what they are asking for. HAs are supposed to kill.

Also I hope I haven't directly offended or disrespected anyone. The above is the conclusion I have come to after seeing many people (including myself!!) being angry about class imbalance.
    • Up x 1
  3. customer548

I think people complain about heavy because most HAs are only here for outplaying other classes in the easiest possible way. They just go as HAs for taking advantage of their shield and high firepower. Just to make easy frags.

Sadly, i notice that most of HAs don't even give any attention to ennemy vehicules or aircrafts. They prefer to simply ignore the AA/AV tasks they were made for. Most of them don't even bother to buy any lock on launcher.

They 'll use their rocket launcher against infantry in corridors.
    • Up x 2
  4. Obscura

Of course you should see HA's everywhere.. they are the standard frontline infantry unit in the game. Light assault is the mobile frontline infantry, maxes are the the super heavy infantry, and medic engi and infiltrator are there to support said frontline infantry. Like how in the real military, a fireteam is based around the riflemen, and all other roles like medic, gunner, engineer, are all there to support them. HA is basically that, a rifleman.

Alot of people like me, aren't really support players anyways, and enjoy a slayer role in shooting games.
    • Up x 1
  5. theVelvetAlley

I didn't put any substance in my original post for a reason. I know they belong, there's just a lot of them! I wish I could throw a dead cat at them, it'd probably cause more harm than my carbine. :p
  6. Liberty

Suddenly a wild MAX appears and destroys your argument about being at the top of the food chain and having a counter to everything.

*note* Don't confuse being able to kill bad MAXes with the balance between HA's and MAXes of equal skill.

MAXes are a direct upgrade to HA's in firepower, survivability, and speed when it counts. (Where as HA's get slower when things are going poorly, MAXes get much faster). They have some of the highest damage output AI options, the have the best AV DPS from an infantry perspective, and a strong AA deterrent that can provide wide area denial to air.

The cost to pull a MAX vs. the cost of switching from an engineer to a heavy is 450 vs. 400 for a med kit / av grenade bandolier loadout.
  7. Pikachu

I always thought LA was the default soldier and that the HA popularity was not what SOE intended. I rarely play LA because the jetpack is so boring slow... and I have some medals to get.
    • Up x 2
  8. BrbImAFK

In all but the teeny-tiniest battles, a MAX has to have support if he's not going to spend most of his time running to/from the spawn and screaming for repairs. Heavies do not.

When a MAX needs to do AV/AI/AA, he's got to run off to a term. HA's can cover 2-3 of those without bothering, depending on loadout and situation.

When you pull a MAX, that 450 nanites is gone, whether you die, suicide or redeploy to your platoon's next objective. When you pull a heavy, you're looking at 200 nanites (on average, not your listed 400), and if you die, suicide or redeploy, the only cost is whatever you've actually used.

MAX's might have better firepower and survivability (if they're supported) than heavies, but that's where it stops. Unless they equip Charge, most MAX's are slower than normal infantry, and those that DO equip charge usually save it for cowarding away from stuff. And even if they don't save it, it's a short-term boost. Most infantry will still outrun them over longer distances.

MAX's are a bugger to rez and repair. As HA, I will happily suicide into a room to get one rocket into a MAX - I know that my outfit mates are following me, and somebody will get the second rocket or C4 or whatever in. And once the room is cleared, our medics will pick me up no harm done.

Also, past close-medium range, MAX's suck. HA's can be effective a lot further out than that. Especially those bloody NC SAW-snipers.

All in all, I'll stick to my "heavies are top of pyramid" position, thanks.
    • Up x 2
  9. Konstantinn

Seriously? Checking the box "auto charge" and slotting and implant is too much effort?

It takes 4 clicks of a mouse (closer to 10 if you slot some kind of implant for every single class). Just by doing that is already better than nothing, it's insuring your implant is running about 50% of the time, and you literally have to do NOTHING else EVER again.

I mean if 4 mouse clicks is too much effort then what's the point of playing a video game? Everything else (even in a game as simple as Tetris) requires more effort. I'm only asking because I know you're not the only person that thinks this, and in my mind I seriously can't justify this no matter how I approach it.
  10. CorporationUSA

Well I wouldn't say that. Infiltrator and LA are infantry as well(with INF being a small part support), but they just require a more tactical approach to be effective. I can't count how many infiltrators or LAs try to take me head-on when I play HA. Not just new players either, cocky BR100s do it as well.

I'm sure they intended for the LA to be the go-to class for taking towers and assaults over cliffs and walls, but they'd have to be slow if they thought the class with the most health, a rocket launcher, and a really powerful gun wasn't going to dominate in ground fights.
  11. Dgross

Except EVERYONE can use them...what definition of "fair" did you look up?
  12. zombielores

Your analogy is wrong, in real life you don't have your Heavy weapons support running around as basic grunts, the basic rifleman would be the LA as basic rifleman usual don't have access to Heavy Weapons like RL or MG, a big flaw in your analogy is that in real life, there's limits to what supplies you have access to, not every Joe's going to get access to RL or MG so grunts get supplied with basic rifles/carbines and some grenades, standard issue in no army is RL and MG. So by your logic LA would be the basic grunt and should be the most common class on the battlefield.

Also in game there's no true support class, all can and will function on combat roles, Engineer can be Anti Tank crews with AV MANA turret or point choke point defense, Combat Medics are the second best direct infantry combat class after the HA, Infiltrators and LA are flank and spank classes to ill prepared or poor situational awareness enemies, HA is well HA, there's no one true class that is only "support" people just like to say so so that they can have an excuse as to why they don't play other classes.

Edit. Fixed spelling error
    • Up x 3
  13. Liberty

So close yet so very very far away.

In small battles (12-24) MAXes easily cruise around with nanite auto repair. In a larger battle you spend more time needing repairs if you play a MAX super aggressive, if you play it similar to a heavy (with corner peaking, baiting opponents, etc) you will not require an engineer at your side. If you apply the fundamentals of good infantry play to a MAX, you won't have any issues.

When a MAX needs to switch roles, they goes to a terminal. I have an AI load out for my heavy (nanoweave, medkits, decimator) an AV load out (Lancer, C4, Flak) an AA load out (Lockon, Med kits, Flak). I could just go Comet + AI and still do fine against AI and AV the same way I could just use Orion, S1, Nanowave and do "just fine" against AI and AV.

When you pull a MAX that is 450 resources gone, and that is all you will pay for the time that you keep it. Heavy Assault with med kits + 1 grenade = 250 resources. My engineer load out is usually mines / c4 + sticky grenades. My Medic loadout is grenade bandolier + C4, my infiltrator loadout is medkits + EMP. Switching classes will cost you between 250 and 400 resources (grenade bandolier heavy + 4 med kits) and the second you throw a grenade or pop a medkit and go resupply you have spent as much resources going from medic to heavy as you have going from medic to MAX.

For bad players (who can't stay alive as a heavy and never get to use their med kits) it is actually cheaper to run HA than MAXes. For good players, who can stay alive while killing other dudes, MAXes are much more cost effective.

0 for 3!

MAXes have better firepower and survivability if they aren't in the hands of bad players. I specifically mentioned in my previous post to please not confuse bad players with MAX balance, because a bad player will be bad no matter what you give them. Saying charge is used only to "coward away" doesn't really help your case to suggest you know what you are talking about. Charge is best used to reset encounters that wouldn't be in your favor, it is as simple as that. As I've said before, if you only play a MAX as a walking tank and ignore the fundamentals that make for good infantry play, your perspective will be skewed.

0 for 4!

I'd say the ratio of "med kits not working" to "Can't repair a MAX" is about 3 to 1 in favor of medkits breaking.
    And again, you are confusing bad players with MAX balance. A good MAX player will not put themselves in a position to get peaked by rockets, the same as a good HA player. Standing in doorways is dumb no matter what infantry class you are playing.

0-5!

MAXes are bad at long range - you got one! They are bad at medium to long range, but thankfully they don't need to be good at it. They have the HP and speed to close the gap or the intelligence to move through out a base to avoid encounters at those ranges. The same way people successfully learn to move when using a shotgun (only the margin for error is much more relaxed as running Slugs, Mercy or Blueshifts you can comfortably engage out to 40 M vs. the 12-15 ish with shotguns). If you are dying to HA's at 80+ M away you are standing still and using awful positioning.

1-5!

Not bad sir, not bad.

But really, believing that HA's are actually higher up the food chain than MAXes really doesn't give me much hope for any kind of reply you will come up with.
    • Up x 1
  14. Phayk

In my opinion the Shield is just badly designed. Here, you press a button and immediatly have an advantage over your opponent... ye, no, bad design.
    If a shooter wants fair shooting gameplay, then all classes should have the same ttk against each other with the same weapons, allowing the player with the higher amount of skill and the better weapon suited for the situation to win the fight regardless of the class. In addition to that each class should have something else it is good at, either the c4-fu power of the light assault, the vehicle-support power of the engineer or the healing-power of the medic. Light assaults and infiltrators on the other hand are meant to put themselves in an advantageous position and abuse that to get the drop on their enemy which at least requires knowledge about the fight and so on as opposed to the i-win-button the heavy has access to.
  15. Liberty

I actually think you are sort of right with this idea otherwise there wouldn't have been so much emphasis on the verticality of bases. However, most modern military shooter players were not used to this and gravitated towards using traditional battle flow patterns to move through a base. Despite the notion that holding the high ground is an age old, tried and tested effective way to maintain control of an area especially when you are outnumbered.

However, with the ease to pull and lethality of air units and the ability to park tanks on hills LA's pretty much had their wings clipped outside of biolabs, towers, and some bases in Hossin where the tree's provide some decent cover. So more often than not you have heavy / medic balls holding points, staying away from windows that will be shelled with HE rounds.
  16. Liberty

To be fair, I press a button on my engineer and I give infinite ammo to an entire platoon worth of troops inside a point hold and I can press it as many times as I want to reposition it.

As an infiltrator, I press a button and give everyone within 50 meters constantly updated information about enemy troop movments (that combined with map knowledge) can allow you to predict where your opponent will be almost as well as an ESP hack.
  17. CorporationUSA

I'm not a fan of implants, since the ones who need certs the most(new players) are put in a position where they have to either play without implants to upgrade their class, or buy implants and not get full nanoweave and other important things they need to make the exchanges between themselves and high BRs more fair. The ones who have everything they need are the ones who benefit from implants. BR100s don't need to pump certs into suit slots and support tools, they can blow their certs on t3-t4 implants to give them an even greater advantage. And I don't care what anyone says, the drop rate is nowhere near close enough for an average players to have a constant high tier implant in use. The only ones who can afford to do that are those with the certs to spare.
  18. FieldMarshall

Am i the only one who doesent have any problems at all dealing with HAs and dont main HA?
    • Up x 2
  19. BrbImAFK

Your opinions, and they are exactly that... opinions... are completely contradictory to my experience and that of my outfit mates. Even the dude who's only 300 melee kills from MAX Master. In fact, we don't even pull MAX's anymore, except for the occasional MAX crash, where the PL invariably refers to them as "suicide suits".

But I'm not going to argue with you - you're welcome to your opinion, however incorrect I believe it to be. There are people who believe in gods and fairies too. Who am I to tell them otherwise. And, unlike you, I'm not going to try to belittle your failpost. As far as I'm concerned, you've done more than enough yourself. I think you're wrong. Most of the hundred-odd people in my outfit think your wrong. That's enough for me.
    • Up x 2
  20. Crator

^ Wow, what a way to shut down the conversation! Bravo!