Yet another TRAP thread.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Rhello, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Rhello

How long has it been since this shadow of a weapon has been implemented ? 1 year ? 2 years ? 2 years and half ? It's been terrible since day one, yet remains unchanged, despite how terrible it is. The recoil per burst is impossible to control over longer ranges, yet deals little to no damage, at the point where you must empty its tiny 18 rounds mag to kill anyone beyond 40 meters, before going through either a "short" reload of 2.3 seconds, and a long one of almost 4 whole seconds. It has terrible DPS, recoil for medium ranges is barely above mediocre with a foregrip attached, terrible mag size/reload time ratio, and the ugliest model from the whole TR arsenal. Plus it doesn't even have access to flash hider/compensators, nor special ammo to make it somewhat better. The hipfire is bad with the weapon, considering a single burst is going to throw you aim off. You see where I'm going. What is the point of this weapon ?

Some people will say it's decent at medium ranges, but I can't help but think it's outclassed by most of the TR weapons at this point, including rifles, all situations considered.

The DPS is terrible, and is even outclassed by low damage weapons like NS-11s and the T5 AMC,which have very mediocre DPS, compensated often by better mag size, reload time, accuracy and recoil controlability. Remember the TRAP also has none of these.

TRAP -> 1315 DPS (429 rpm/184 dmg)
    DMR 66 -> 1389 DPS (333 rpm/250 dmg)
    NS-11C,A/SOAS 20 -> 1553 DPS (652 rpm/143 dmg)
    Gauss Saw -> 1666 DPS (500 rpm/200 dmg)

In fact, the only advantage of the TRAP, is its sound when silenced. That's it. You wasted 1000+ certs for a very quiet weapon, but mediocre in the niche it was designed for and terrible in anything else. Please based Wrel, do something.
  2. UberNoob1337101

Agreed, it's average at best and some odd scout rifle/SMG hybrid that tries to do all things and falls flat on everything except mag-dumping with 3x burst at close range.

If it got 3 extra rounds in mag, 2x burst had less recoil (so it isn't worthless) and if it had access to the compensator, the weapon would be pretty decent. Or the recoil applied after the burst was finished so you can actually land all the shots in the burst after 30m.

As-is it's viable but mediocre.
  3. RainbowDash9

idk, sometimes i do really well with it, but most of the time its absolute trash. what i think they should do is make it more unique in the way of each of the fire modes. let single shot be high damage but slow fire rate, 2 shot be like the sabr, and 3 shot be great in hipfire for mag dumping.

Obviously a lot of work, but with how.....futuristic......the gun looks, it should do future shizz.
  4. Shadowomega

Someone else that watched Yamiks' review? Not much new to say then what he pointed out and was also pointed out several times during the first 3 months of the weapons release. Though one thing he did ask that I know I could answer is why it wasn't ever touched. That reason is, the TRAP for all its flaws was massively outperforming the Railjack and Phaseshift in kpu, kph, and unique kills during that time. Granted most times I saw the TRAP it was nearly run was 2x sight but I did see it run plenty of times with 3.4 and 4x Optics, most of these people were running 2x burst and double tapping people in the head in very rapid succession.
  5. breeje

the trap is a fantastic weapon if you use it the right way
    short range ambush weapon with laser, 3 bursts (use like shotgun)
    or short mid range with fore grip, 2 burst (20/30 meters) and you need to heave the drop on them
    the one burst is good at long range, but only if you want to tickle your opponent
    if you try to use it out of his range or otherwise then attended you will die
    you need to be a veteran infill to use the trap
  6. TerminalT6

I may not have played in a while but I quite enjoyed using the TRAP. You can't really have a serious tryhard attitude while using it, but that's not to say you can't do well. You really need to make use of all its firing modes. breeje is pretty much right on the money. Ambushing with 3-bursts to the head is devastating. Strangely, I got the feeling that the TRAP performed better with a silencer. It felt more tame and reliable. Bad drop, obviously, but the thing is by no means a sniper rifle.
  7. Liewec123

i quite like trap, i made a TR infil alt especially for trap and for my first 500 kills i didn't use any other weapon.
    i never ever use anything other than 3x burst mode (with foregrip, silencer and 1x dot) and it is pretty awesome.
    you have a weapon that kills in 2 clicks of the mouse from body shots alone, no headshots required)
    and yes, it has the unique ability to be used as a shotgun when things get a little bit too close and personal!

my way of using it is how the name implies, ambush! ITS A TRAP! :D
  8. LaughingDead

Burst as it stands work as well as a car with no engine. The point of burst fire in real life is to put several accurate bullets down range into one target without first shot recoil kicking in too early to mess up the follow up shots.

Balance around realism is something I don't agree with but if a mechanic is going to be put into a game it shouldn't be as half ***** as it is currently and give weapons with burst fire actual ******* meaning.
  9. Rhello

@ brejee
    Too bad I'm a BR 89 who played 60% of the time (if not more) as an infiltrator. The git gud excuse doesn't work this time, sorry.

And about your arguments, the TRAP falls short on every single aspect if you don't have the drop on an enemy, effectively getting you killed with an enemy left with a sliver of health in a fair fight. And using it as a shotgun is shooting yourself a bullet in the feet, firstly because of the terrible hipfire of the weapon, as well as the fire rate, and finally because of the atrocious DPS. Using it for mid to long range, you'd wish to have a weapon that is more accurate and does more damage per bullet.

Even the battle rifles do better. I mean, come on. Give me ONE example where the TRAP is going to do better than the Vandal or any decent close to mid range weapon.
  10. Alexkruchev

Ironically, increased drop somewhat counteracts recoil at long range.
  11. Steza

Looks like a cool weapon on paper, also why are you comparing the guass saw in it? it's in a totally separate category, same with the NS-11C and A apples to oranges going on here. Shouldn't you compare it to the RailJack and Phaseshift? or snipers in general sorry just really confused by why you bring them up instead.
  12. Pat22

Isn't that the definition of the entire Infiltrator class?
    You have literally every tool you could ever need to get the drop on your enemy, and there isn't a single weapon in the infiltrator's arsenal that lets you walk up to another class in face-to-face combat with an advantage.
  13. Ryme_Intrinseca

Obviously it is going to outperform sniper rifles in KPH as it is exclusively used for mid and short range - it is utterly useless at long range, after all. Really it should be compared to scout rifles, since that's what it is in terms of function. It's below all the scout rifles except the Stalker for KPH according to http://ps2oraclestats.com/monthlystats/
  14. Rhello

Steza, I'm basically doing this so you actually can measure how poor is the DPS on this weapon, that's it. And no, it is NOT a sniper rifle, by any mean.

Pat22, although infiltrator's weapons shine when you get the drop on the enemy, SMGs and scout rifles can get you through 1v1 engagements if used correctly, if the other player in front of you isn't an heavy assault and if you're engaging at the right ranges.
  15. OldMaster80

Personally I've auraxiumed it easily using it as a Scout Rifle. I find it easier than the Amr-66.
  16. breeje

if you want to quote someone, press reply below right of that persons post

i have 3 alts exclusive for infill play all above BR80 and my other main alts also play infill
    for the git gud excuse, well there is no excuse only some skill is needed to play successful with the trap
    the trap is not for everyone, if you can't handle it leave it
    like most TR infills
  17. Pat22

Really, it's just like the CQC bolt-actions. Harmless in the hands of the average user, absolutely lethal in the hands of someone who knows what he's doing.
    • Up x 1
  18. Shadowomega

While it should be considered a scout rifle, weapons like the Spectre and Phantom which are semi autos scout snipers they are still classed as snipers rifles.
  19. Riksos

The TRAP is basically a semi-auto rifle that does a little better in CQC than the other semi-auto's. It's not as good at long range as a bolt action but just as good as any of the other scouts.

Basically if you were going to use a Semi-auto over a Bolt Action for whatever reason, choose the TRAP. If you weren't...then don't.

Do not put a laser sight on this weapon, even with one the hip fire is near useless. 3 Shots Bursts are good within 50m, 2 up to 100 I've found, and you have to use it as your average scout rifle single shot anywhere else.

With that said I do not think the TRAP needs to be changed. It follows the TR faction theme of more dakka with it's burst fire, and performs equally if not better to the other semi-auto alternatives.

EDIT: I just realized the OP compared the TRAP to the GAUSS SAW and some other carbines as the basis for making a change. Silly move, they are not weapons in the same class and therefor understably have very different stats. It would be like me posting the NC Bolt Driver and saying "WOW NONE OF THE OTHER GUNS IN THIS GAME DO ENOUGH DAMAGE, LOOK HOW MUCH THE BOLT DRIVER DOES AND LOOK HOW MUCH THE T4 AMP SIDEARM DOES WHAT THE **** IS UP WITH THAT DISCREPANCY"
    • Up x 1
  20. BurntMyWater

The TRAP is at heart a Scout Rifle, no matter what it says in the weapon's description. If it were a true sniper rifle, it would be suited to long range combat, like a triple barreled bolt action which puts all 3 bullets in the same spot even at long range. The TRAP is NOT a long range weapon.

It is however a pretty good scout rifle. Its extremely quiet with a suppressor, almost noiseless even. It does enough damage to kill with a single 3x burst to the head. The only real complaints that I have when using it in this role are its high recoil and low ammo pool. Also, the bullet drop is pretty bad on this gun.