[Suggestion] Yet another LA Tool/F Button suggestion.

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Ribero, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Ribero

Let me preface this by saying I'm a terrible LA and I hardly play the class, so I don't really know what it needs (if anything) or what would compliment the LA's current strengths.

-

So, I was playing some vanilla XCOM: Enemy Within the other day (fun game) and was using the motion scanner when I thought to myself "Well, this is a pretty neat piece of kit".

In XCOM: Enemy Within it is a hand thrown device which basically works as a surveillance camera in its area of effect, rather than actually detecting motion (despite the name). I figured this could be something neat for PS2 since there's already enough motion detecting stuff.

The way I would see it working, in a bare-bones kind of way:

1. F button to equip, mouse 1 to throw it grenade style. (Yes, I know grenade mechanics suck in this game, but it's what we have to work with currently)
    2. F button again to access- What this would provide would be a first person camera view (Phoenix Cam style). This view would be able to pan around, look up and down, but the actual device would not be movable once it's landed and settled (This would not be some robot-spider spy cam.)
    3. F button to exit.

Some half cocked balance ideas:

Carry capacity of 1/0, upgradeable to 1/3
    Only one can be deployed at a time
    Limit the time of usage (Put it down to battery life or something.)
    Destroyable through damage or EMP
    Can spot enemies

Basic cert dumping ideas:

Upgradeable optics
    Upgradeable battery life
    Upgradeable throwing distance/flatter trajectory
    Sticky mechanic instead of typical, bouncy grenade style

What would this add to the class, and to the game?

I don't know to be honest. It's just some thoughts I'm scribbling down, on the off chance that someone likes it, or that it may inspire someone else to think of something new and desirable, beyond the usual dual-wield, deployable grav lift, grappling hook, rope ladder stuff.

I know it kind of encroaches on the territory of the Recon Drone which SOE had planned for the Infil but hey, it's not like that's anywhere to be found currently.
    • Up x 1
  2. Rovertoo

That would be pretty cool. Either a neat little walking/floating/treaded drone or that flying recon drone they've teased for a while.

Of course, I would prefer (as a mostly LA player) that the 'f key' ability be something that modifies the jetpack to help in combat.

I've always wanted to see either a new jetpack or the 'f-key' ability for basic jetpacks be a cool 'strafe' ability. So, when you press the F key, whichever direction key(s) was being held down would dictate where you get boosted. So A for left, D backward, Space vertical, etc. Think like the Halo 4 Thruster pack.

It would be a short little burst of movement, probably only a few meters, and consume a reaosnably large amount of fuel. To cut down on spam we can say the distance traveled works according to how much fuel is left. Automatically uses 50% tank for full 5 meter (or something) distance, using it during a recharge that's <50% tank scales distance accordingly. I think it would be way awesome to have! Help give the Light Assault a little more combat viability and survivability than it has now.
    • Up x 1
  3. Tiedemann

And this means they'll have to stand still :D
  4. Gemenai

Carry capacity of 1/0, upgradeable to 1/3
    Only one can be deployed at a time
    Limit the time of usage (Put it down to battery life or something.)
    Destroyable through damage or EMP
    Can spot enemies
    ---

So, are you the one spotting through that device, or is it auto spotting?
    (If least, then it would be a throwable motion spotter and then i would ask you if you wouldn´t think that this are the one of the infiltrators. I was already pissed back when sensor bolts for crossbow were introduced.)
  5. Xenoraptor

Holy ****, Iridar was right...
    Iridar51 said:
    “Ah, nice to see the tradition of recounting old, boring and discussed to the death LA suggestions is back.

Now, sit down my son, and we'll repeat the list of the words you should never say in public:
    Net gun, grappling hook, climbing gear, clinging to walls, wall running, deployable jump pad or grav lift or climbing rope, stimpacks (adrenaline shots), carrying a second primary instead of a sidearm, switching between drifters and jump jets by pressing a button, dash-like burst jet packs, icarus jets (burst of vertical speed), adrenaline pump being a passive system, carrying other players (facepalm), see-through-walls / infrared / night vision goggles, grenade launcher tool (both lethal and non-lethal), personal spawn beacons, wingsuits, scout rifles - assault rifles - battle rifles for LA, dual wielding, revive ability for LA, LA being revivable by other LAs, creating portals to teleport through walls, thermal vision (see through walls), radar detection / jamming tools, C4 being remodeled into AV weapon with high damage and small splash, better flying accuracy / more speed / faster reloads / 75% ADS for all carbines.

Correct me if I missed a few.

Now the tradition I was referring to is that at least one of these ideas must be posted at least once a week, so we can discuss this "new and fresh" idea once again.

In case it wasn't obvious, I'm ******* tired of seeing this old stuff being posted again and again without bothering to check if it wasn't suggested before. If you see your brilliant idea in this list, don't bother posting. It doesn't necessarily mean the idea is bad, just nothing will come of out it. All to be said by platers was said, and SOE doesn't care either way.”

6. Ribero

No idea, whatever people think would be best.

I'm guessing this fits under one of those, Grenade or Radar?
  7. Iridar51

No, I don't think throwable cameras were suggested before.
    But they wouldn't work, for the same reason Crossbow Detect Darts don't work, times ten.
    LA will be simply too vulnerable while using these cameras, while the information they provide is minute, useful only within next couple of seconds, with no time to adequately act on it.
  8. Saool

Cloak - Instantaneous
    Over shield - Instantaneous
    Ammo pack - Instantaneous
    Healing field - Instantaneous

There is a theme here.