WW2 weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by bot14379, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Jawarisin

And my railgun velocity should be 3500m/s.... there's plenty of differences.
    TR aren't the good guys... They are the crazy oppressors...
  2. CursoryRaptor

You got me thinking now.

Can you imagine if somebody managed to hack the game so that they ran around as a WW2 infantryman with a Tommy gun that had realistic stats?

LMAO "1920 OP PLZ NERF!!!"
    • Up x 4
  3. Tylerso12

Ummmmmmmmm no
  4. KnightCole

LOL, no humor me and go find out how nerfed blast radius is in this game compared to real life....

Dont standard Mk1 Pine apples have a blast radius of like 25 feet? shrapnel+concussion force? In PS2 our 150mm HE round has a like 3 foot blast radius and it does little more then scratch the paint on a car past 1m.....sad really...
    • Up x 3
  5. ColonelChingles

Well...

The "next gen" 120mm HE shell will explode small fragments over a large area to kill infantry and light vehicles (even in cover). How big an area?

[IMG]

Pretty much if you have a whole platoon (they refer to it as a squad in the image but it's really platoon-strength) of infantry spread out over 4,250 sq m, two shots will take half of them out.

In actual testing, it proved to be even more lethal than that:

[IMG]

So we see that in one shot, you had lethal hits on infantry in about a 50mx50m area (at least). Which would be a lethal "blast area" of 2,500 sq m.

In PS2, the Prowler's 120mm HE cannon has a maximum blast area of 78.5 sq m and a maximum damage blast area of 3.14 sq m. But what about the lethal blast area of a Prowler's 120mm HE cannon?

None. There is no lethal blast area, apart from being directly hit by the thing.

In other words, Prowler HE cannons have been infinitely nerfed. Even if you take the Vanguard's 150mm HE cannon, it still only has a lethal blast area of 3.14 sq m, which represents a 99.87% nerf in terms of explosive area (comparing a 120mm to a 150mm cannon to boot).

So what might that look like if we did the same thing to PS2's frag grenades?

The M67 Frag Grenade has a lethal blast area of 78.5 sq m (ironically the same as the maximum damage area of the Prowler's 120mm cannon). If we nerfed the lethal blast area by the same percentage as tanks got nerfed, a 99.87% reduction would result in a 0.10 sq m lethal blast radius for a PS2 frag grenade. Which would be a circle with a radius of 18cm... the length of a common pencil.

So if infantry were treated the same as tanks in PS2, you would have to toss a grenade within a pencil-length of a person to kill them. :confused:
    • Up x 3
  6. CursoryRaptor

*taps VS on the shoulder*

Here, hold this. :p

*BOOM!*
    • Up x 1
  7. Lucidius134

something seems off with taking a 120mm shell and doing an apples to apples comparison versus a grenade.

Wouldn't the explosive force be non-linear in terms of scale vs. size? See: 9x19mm explosive rounds

Also try the UGBL's for a comparison lmfao
  8. CursoryRaptor

The rule of thumb is that blast radius increases by the cube root of explosive energy.
  9. Lucidius134

Oh I guess it is linear then. That's funny either way.
  10. KnightCole

LOL, IKR? Dont we alreayd have to land a grenade in a guys boot in order to even score hits on him? If hes wearing flak, he could have it in his crotch and it wouldnt disturb a thing...
    • Up x 2
  11. CursoryRaptor

Actually, I hear that VS infils like to do that for fun.
    • Up x 1
  12. Scr1nRusher

That... wouldn't surprise me.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

While obviously just copying WW2 weapons would be stupid, I wouldn't mind some classic-inspired weapon designs, like HCAR taking after BAR in BF Hardline:
    [IMG]
    Though it's just because I'm a fan of that particular terrible hipster weapon. I'd hate to see stuff like AKs and M4s here - they already took over all other games, would be boring to see same-old in PS2.
  14. Lucidius134

Would be neat if scout or battle rifles were like ps2-ized M14's or something.
    • Up x 2
  15. KnightCole

Its why id love to see the EM6 become an M60.
  16. CursoryRaptor

If NC gets a stat-accurate M60, TR gets a stat-accurate M249. All in favor say aye.
    • Up x 1
  17. Iridar51

Nobody was talking about stat accurate...

As for visuals, obviously TR would get RPD:
    [IMG]

Or the other RPD:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  18. KnightCole

Aye!

EM6 becomes the EM8 Kodiak and it looks like a Planetside 2 M60E4. It gets 167@10m-143@85m, 600RpM, 600ms.

T9 CARV becomes the T63R CARV and becomes a big ol M249SAW, not the paratrooper, stubby version....800RpM, 143@10m-125@65m

Only semi sorta sad thingabout the TR getting a SAW, the NC guns already look like the SAW.....in some round about twisted way.
    • Up x 1