Would You Attend: Sniper Training?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MisterSlim, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MisterSlim

This thread was also posted in the Infiltrator subforum a couple days ago, but seeing as most dwellers of the cloaker subforum already have some sniper experience, I'm moving it here to reach out to the more 'general' community:

I have noticed that a lot of the members of my outfit (including the seasoned veterans) have very little sniping experience. I asked around a bit, and the answer to why is usually summed up as "BECAUSE COUNTERSNIPERS REK MY FACE!" or "I just don't really know all that much about it".

So, I have taken it upon myself to head up some sniper training for my outfit, however, if interest is shown on Forumside (for the win!), I will open it up to the public.

Things we will be going over:
    -Rifle and Optics Selection for Your Playstyle
    -Drop Compensation (and Leading techniques) on Moving and Stationary Targets
    -Time-to-Acquire on Moving and Stationary Targets
    -Cover and Cloak Utilization
    -Fire Timing and Mobility
    -Etc

The time and date for this training is to-be-determined, so keep up with this thread to find that out!

If you are a veteran, and have any words of advice for our new-to-bolting friends, then please, take the time to enlighten them. If you are a newcomer, or just new to sniping, then please take some time to click on the link in my signature to my Sniper's Guide and leave a little feedback. If you don't want to know anything about sniping, but like helping newcomers, then we could always use a few targets!

So, my question to you is: Would you attend? We need some targets and contributors as well as attendees!

-Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 2
  2. Danath

1st question would be: are you playing with about 40fps? Stop hurting yourself by sniping moving targets :p
  3. Alan Kalane

I have a very good technique on sniping moving targets.
    Unfortunately, it requires some calculations and practice, but basicaly it allows you to calculate the exact ammount of distance(in mildots) that you need to lead your target. And you don't even need to see your target as you can do all of this on paper and memorize some values.

I won't explain this here as it would take too much space to explain (I might create a thread about it when I have some spare time) but I can tell you one golden tip: the leading distance in mildots is independent from the distance to your target. I know this might sound counter-intuitive but it's true, I've proven this mathematicaly (wouldn't work in real life though, it's based on the fact that there's no air resistance in PS2). The leading distance is only dependent on 3 factors:
    -the speed of your target
    -the angle between you and your target's running direction
    -the muzzle velocity of your weapon

All classes (except MAXes and heavies with overshields) sprint at the same speed (~6.5 meters/second, tested in the VR) so it's a constant. Muzzle velocity is also known and constant. So, with two of those being constant you can calculate the exact ammount of lead required to hit the target that runs towards you at the angle of 30,45,60 and 90 degrees or any angle between those values. So next time instead of guessing you can just say " this guy is running towards me at 45 degrees angle, I need to lead him 1.2 mildots"
  4. TerminalT6

I think a lot of players, old or new, could learn from a bit of sniper training. In my experience, other snipers are typically the easiest targets for a sniper. Especially the ones that sit in groups on a ridge line, never cloak, and are always scoped in, so you can perforate their heads in rapid succession without them moving an inch. It's kind of sad.

Then, when you have to duel a more experienced sniper, it gets a bit more fun.
  5. Lucidius134

Forgot Infils and LA's w/ Adrenaline Pump but I don't think that AP would make a difference in terms of lead.
  6. Liberty

Liberty's sniper training 101 for people who want to shoot mans from far away and snipe good :

Get the Ghost / TSAR equivalent with a 4X scope and be relevant in 99% of PS2 encounters. Occasionally pick up your factions long range BASR with a 12 X scope to pick off useless 12 KPH, sit on top of a hill 200 M away firing randomly into crowds of people snipers. Bam! Done!

But seriously, if you learn good gunplay mechanics (from Full Auto type weapons) you will have everything you need to snipe well. In fact, sniping usually becomes a matter of how many of those good gunplay mechanics you can get away with ignoring and still be successful (once you get past around 50 M).
    • Up x 1
  7. MisterSlim

So, I'll put you down for a maybe? xD

-Stay Fr0sty
  8. DrPapaPenguin

Eh, Ive long since stopped combining the useless with the unpleasant.
  9. Schizomatic

Not sure if it's worth the investment of time. With a few exceptions, the really good ones, who are really rare, snipers don't contribute that much to the team effort or are that dangerous.

Now, actual infiltrating Infiltrators, that's a whole 'nother story. Those guys can wreak some havoc.
    • Up x 1
  10. MisterSlim

How do you figure?

The goal of this endeavor is not only to actually teach a bit about sniping on a more personal level than a guide (got a guide for that already, linked in the signature), but to encourage some community involvement and interaction. How often do you see players genuinely trying to help each other? Or even making an attempt to get along for longer than 14 seconds?
  11. Fry_Poncho

Its kind of sad that snipers dont contribute more, but hella true on the infil infils.
  12. Lucidius134

are you going to teach about scope zero'ing
  13. H0urg1ass

Nothing will save you from me!

Probably my favorite activity in PS2 currently is sniper hunting.
    -Stalker cloak so they never hear you coming. This is super important, if you're dropping in and out of cloak as you sneak up on them, then you really aren't sneaking up on them. They should hear you once, and it should be too late.
    -Adrenaline Pump because getting in, OHK'ing the sniper and **** if he's got friends around is important.
    -Blackhand pistol just cause it's so new and ****. Or the AMP, but I really like the OHK of the Blackhand, or the range if he's got too many friends around.
    -Medpacks in case you get hurt falling or running away from the occasionally aware HA standing next to the sniper.
    -Explosive HUD implant in case they think they're smart and put mines behind them. Even better when they drop a mine and sit on it. Shoot the mine instead for good laughs.
    -Never ever ever use the spot button. Cause cloaking and spotting is just idiotic.

I sat on top of the Quartz ridge hill today for about three hours killing snipers, mana turrets and tank drivers who back up and jump out to repair damage.

Yesterday I found two hills, one with VS and one with NC shooting at each other. I'd clear out the snipers on one side, then run to the other hill and repeat.

It all started one day when the same sniper OHK'd my HA three times in a row. I said "EFFF This crap. He dies." and he did. Which is when I realized that I really really like doing that. Killing cowards is super amazing great fun.
  14. MisterSlim

I have to teach a long-range shooting course at the range over the next couple weeks, don't remind me that I have to tell a large handful of people how to properly do that xD. That is the ONE thing I'm not really looking forward to teaching. That, and how to deal with Barometric Pressure Drag. That can get kinda..numbery.

-Stay Fr0sty
    • Up x 1
  15. MisterSlim

-Picks up Parsec and grins- More than ready! Grab your jacket, son, cause it's gonna get very chilly for you! xD

-Stay Fr0sty
  16. wrenched

I used to think this way. Got the Vandal, thought it was great but quickly realised HA does more/survives more at that range. TSAR felt like an upgrade (1 hit heads). Recently went full mental and just use RAMS .50 in biolabs/towers like a CS awp. It works pretty well while letting you pick of anything at range. Been averaging 50-60 KPH with long range BASR and 5-10 K/D.

Most recent example before logging off last night: 54 KPH (is there a website that will let you look at a longer killboard?):
    [IMG]
  17. DrPapaPenguin

Not a massive fan of sniping in any game, and well, as long as medics revive and engies drop ammo that's all cooperation that I need :)
  18. Ianneman

Sniping really doesn't do much in this game. The only time it makes a remote difference is if you have someone who can consistently OHK enemies in a 1-12 battle, beyond that snipers have no effect on battles :-/
  19. DrPapaPenguin

Pretty much. A single motion sensor gun is far more useful than a platoon of BASR snipers.
  20. Enguzrad

I disagree. A sniper able to hit moving targets can be a real benefit, even if he doesn't kill enemy players, they are damaged. And damaged player has no chance in direct combat.
    All you need is a good spot from where you can safely shoot at enemies running on point and they either die before they get there, get there with shields down and die, or hide to recharge, wasting time they have left before base is capped.
    And as with everything in this game, the more the better. Handful of snipers focusing on one place will effectively create a dead zone. Not to mention, players repeatedly killed by snipers will probably want to get a revenge, focusing on snipers instead where it matters.