Would NPC be a good idea?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by prodavit, Jul 23, 2015.

1. prodavit

So how would you guys Feel about a moving shooting NPC army fighting it out in the VR training? Of course you can shoot them too, or what would be the point? Would this be a good idea? I think so..

How about in normal gameplay? I mean there's not alot of shooter out there that doesn't have some kind of NPC. Would really help out in uneven fights and I"m not talking about 60 to 40 ones, I'm talking about 90/10 ones. How would you guys feels about this? I would love something like this. they don't need to be human maybe look like drones or robots, and you would only get half the xp for killing one. Maybe it's spwans in a special place in the base and have a special sunde or vichical that can spawn them (only them no players). Or if you don't like that idea maybe they only come out when the base is so uneven in pop that the game stop being fun. Just throwing this idea in the air lol.

I like to bring up that in Plantside one, there has way more PVE or AI than there are in PS2 now. Like AI base turrets, of course the spitfire (it was better ), Air turret, AI control drop ship bah bah bah lol.
  2. MouthFulofCrabs

i like the idea in VR training BUT with a option like a key to turn them to aggressive and neutral
    • Up x 1
  3. RykerStruvian

NPCs won't happen, but I would like NPCs to even out pops. Or to boost pops because playing at 2AM-8AM sucks. Nobody is on :\
    • Up x 2
  4. SamReye

NPCs in VR, please, but not on live. I can't really see it fitting in with the game's concept.
    • Up x 1
  5. prodavit

I guess everyone thinks we should have NPC in the game of some kind
  6. FLHuk

2AM H1Z1 NPC mode..... A flock of Zombies swarm from base to base camping the spawns.

It would be almost like prime time!
    • Up x 1
  7. prodavit

Lol you must really like your zombies
  8. Scr1nRusher

We already have Zergfits.
  9. FLHuk

Hate the bloody things with a passion as they took resources away from PS2 ;)
  10. Taemien

As others said, we already have players filling the roles.

What we really need is something to push players into coordinated groups. The Squad/Platoon tab needs another overhaul. For example, squads and platoons can list themselves. But they can't get detailed descriptions. Solo players can't go LFS (Looking For Squad) like they did in PS1.

Squad Leader certs needs more stuff. Need more markers they can put down such as CAS (Close Air Support) for squaded/platooned air. Arrows to show which direction they want their people to go. And other tools that boosts the effectiveness of the individuals near their squadleaders.

Heck I wouldn't be against MMORPG like buffs that squad leaders could have. Like extra speed, hp, shield regen, ect. And to prevent hundreds of 2 man squads, I'd make it require 5 people to be near the SL to activate the buff. Maybe within 30-50m.

In otherwords we need less zerglings, less zombies, less bots, no NPCs, and for players to stop acting like NPCs.
    • Up x 1
  11. Strottinglemon

I feel like a lot could be done with non-hostile NPCs. On top of VR training bots, AI could be applied to wildlife to inhabit the continents and scientists to work at captured bases. Slaughtering the defenseless NPCs would at least add some fun to ghost-capping. You could even tie them in to the resource revamp so the base will only produce resources if there are NPCs working there, making behind enemy lines Predator-style infiltrator a viable playstyle.
    • Up x 1
  12. prodavit

I do agree that they do need to work on the group play to better incentive to be in a group, some people like being on there own because leaders are sometime stupid and sometime you want to be independent.

before I go off track I do feel that the game NPCs will help even out uneven pop or empty servers that will always be there no matter how good they improve the group play. Of coruse NPCs would bring it own problems to the table, that's why I want them to bring back all the AI in plaentside one at least.
  13. prodavit

I do agree with you, It's might help plaentside be more than just capturing useless bases and add more game play to the game other than just capture the god damn point all the time
  14. Hatesphere

You think the servers are laggy now. Just wait untill they have to preform basic AI for a small army...
  15. AlterEgo

The only NPC's I would like to see are commissars for TR, businessmen for NC, and scientists for VS. If you have the nanites, each gives you a bonus in a certain way. They can only be found in warpgates, faction-specific bases (NC Arsenal-Quartz-etc., Vanu Archives-Subterranean Analysis-etc., all TR crashsites-Howling Pass-etc., and all major facilities. I don't know, maybe give them a little recruitment shack, lemonade stand, and a research station for each within all places where they can be? I don't really know, but I'd really like to see this!
  16. Ximaster

I thought that u talks about 4 faction bot army,but then i read ur text and u said about VR...
  17. St0mpy

wow this question again, its probably one of the most asked questions of all time...have a badge!

No, no and no. Dev comment on moving targets = no, too much work for no return. My comment, map is full of moving targets, learn on the move.
    • Up x 1
  18. MaDiv

Then first explain, what is the game's concept?
  19. CipherNine

They can place AI on separate server. AI decision making doesn't really need things like shadows, physics calculations and other CPU intensive operations so that leaves lot of computing power free.
  20. Demigan

Even NPC's in VR I would not recommend. Just a bunch of models moving back and forth? Sure! But no AI, the game can't handle it.

AI has a big problem: whenever pathing, every 1m distance extra increases the calculation resources for good pathing exponentially, add in leading a target, using cover, choosing objectives, staying safe (having a bunch of AI run towards 1 objective and killing themselves by running across a dangerous road for instance), choosing spawnoptions, choosing&using classes and their abilities, choosing to use&selecting&using vehicles, avoiding deployables, keeping track of friendlies who, due to the latency system, can be anywhere at a time...
    The game Firefall, an MMOFPSRPG, ran into the same problems, only with a much smaller playerbase, continent and a super-simple AI that doesn't even use cover. The way they handled this was making AI bullet sponges.

You might say 'but other games have AI like that'. Yes, because the system was build with AI in mind. Planetside 2 has a much larger scope, needs more pathing even in small facilities than many maps in other games with AI. Add in the fact that Current planetside 2 servers have enough trouble with keeping track of about 900 players simultaneously as it is and adding NPC's would be a deathstroke to the game.