Would it be better if construction was removed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by karlooo, Jul 18, 2018.

1. karlooo

I think Wrel doesn't like the construction part of the game...if he doesn't enjoy it, then there will be no improvements, which it needs.

It takes a long time to unlock items in this game, you need to pick your main role in which to invest...people who picked construction are most likely having a crap experience right now. But yeah, developers are showing no interest in it, could be updated in to something absolutely amazing, but it won't, so why not just remove it? It will increase performance.

Construction has too many problems. Would be better if removed from the game completely, if there are no plans for improvement (and no, the pain spire, routing spire, OS no restrictions...is not an improvement for construction, it's just something new small added into the unfinished part of the game...construction is unfinished)

Just focus on updating the things you want, and try not to forcefully keep stuff in the game, if you're not planning to do anything with it.

[I'm writing this from my experience, of building a hundred bases, with all structures unlocked]
    • Up x 2
  2. Campagne

I'm sure more people than just Wrel has any say on the game...

But regardless I personally wouldn't really mind at all if construction was removed. Won't be, but I wouldn't mind it.
    • Up x 1
  3. chamks

every word in the stone! as once an enthusiastic builder with many structures unlocked, i also believe that construction part of the game is half finished. and could use many improvements and lots of work to fully reach the potential it has
  4. Blam320

It shouldn't be outright removed. There's no denying that Construction isn't quite there yet, but when it just got several changes that enable it to more directly impact fights, it's clear that at least some work is being done.
    • Up x 2
  5. AtckAtck

I did like contruction. In fact i have more equip time for the Ant than the knife.
    So yes, i did a lot of construction since it came out.

What construction has become now:

You fill 1 and only 1 Ant. Place your silo and either build an orbital, a flail or a router.
    Walls, Turrets, etc. NO; you just don't. Because it is worthless and useless anyway.
    If anybody decides to attack your base, then it is already as good as gone.
    The construction stuff is nerfed so hard, it's not worth using and wasting time building it.
    On top of that, if you build a real base with all the stuff you have, then you simply cannot keep it running because the devs thought it was a great idea the make the cortium burn greater than one player alone can harvest in a decent amount of time for his SOLO base...
    Really great concept... NOT.

The orbital nerf; the new orbital sucks. Yes you now can shoot it anywhere, fine, great idea. BUT you don't nearly get as many kills as with the old one. It is just not as satisfying. With the old orbital i was able to kill 40+ players when shooting at the right moment.
    Now, only total idiots die to an orbital. All you need is a small leaf over your head and you will not take ANY damage.
    Orbital; the nuke that makes an expecition for people in cover... So stupid.

So no, i don't do construction any longer. It lost its purpose completeley.

And the new alert sytem is crap too, not the alerts itself not the events, but that we cannot do anything to influence the warpgate charging.
    I don't want to fight useless grindy fights for no reason. So after a continent is locked, i log off now and set a timer for 3:30 hours and then log back in. Maybe i can then play with a reason and a chance to win.
    • Up x 1
  6. raffa2

The latest construction change made me and my friends buy construction stuff, i think it was a chore before during hive alerts, but now it's actually fun and useful, like using the orbital strike in hot zones, spawning free vehicles, the routing spire...
    • Up x 1
  7. Halkesh

Really ? We just got a major construction update but no, nothing happens.
    Construction goal went from annoying near-invincible but have to fight or it will lock the continent to support plate-form. Sure it's not perfect how it is but it just need a few more patch.
    I'm still waiting for more impact of construction inside NDZ, router was the first step, OS was a great addition but devs listened to whiner and removed it.
    • Up x 2
  8. karlooo

The problem is the devs don't know how to update it...because they don't like it, don't play it, and most importantly do not understand it.

I'm guess they didn't know what to do, so they took some advice from the community (just to make some ppl happy), change some stuff they didn't enjoy, and created whatever the hell construction is now, it's a complete mess. It should be removed.
  9. LaughingDead

10. adamts01

Plenty of people are interested in construction and it's moving in the direction that the vast majority of players want it to move in, towards the front lines. It's not there yet, but good things are happening.
    • Up x 2
  11. Pacster3

Really? I only see 1-man OS for fun near the front line. Serious bases(let alone road blocks) are not really around. Fights around them that last longer then a few minutes do not happen either(once more than 1 enemy player shows up the base is gone. Spawn tubes are a bit too vulnerable now and the walls don't hold against lightnings, let alone MBTs). Currently I really only see them as gimmick and not as a serious part of the game.
    OS are like lasher, magrider or flash...they are in the game and get used but usually more for fun and uniqueness than for serious gameplay.
  12. JonnyMonroe

I'm not sure the things construction needs are possible in the current engine. Really silos should have a dedicated ui so the owner can set lock/reserve levels for building and spawning from vehicle pads per group type (public, platoon, outfit). Buildings need to show on minimap while constructing including the preview of what you're placing so you can build with a greater degree of precision. Bases need a mass deconstruct option for when they are no longer useful. Building a new base in a better location while the old one is still alive is a pain as you keep having to confirm the old structure will be removed.

There are however some things that are possible that would help;

Make a reserve silo structure that shares storage with the main silo and increases the max to 100k and gives you a 2nd drop off point for cortium to the base. This will let you fill it more then spend longer times between needing the next top up. It also allows you to better seal off the main silo and use the reserve as your deposit location.
    Allow structure type buildings to clip into each other a little bit more so bases can be built tighter.
    Allow the invulnerability component of structure shield modules to auto trigger if a building within it's influence falls below 50% health. Allow this effect to cover the Elysium tube so it can survive the 25 second redeploy time needed to react to an alarm module warning.
    Shave about 20% of the radius off no construct zones so player bases can have some influence on lattice fights beyond routers and OS.
    Add darklight floodlight structures.
    Scale the cortium level warning to the current drain rate such that I'm warned when I have 10 and 5 minutes of cortium left. 1k warning is nothing in a large base.

That's just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure there's other stuff I can think of when I have more time.
  13. LtBomber

A difficult topic, i will keep it simple:

When to use Construction:
    1. Instant cheap aircrafts, if you waste them and are low on Narnites
    2. Get a router
    3. Cheap tanks
    4. Farm certs
    5. Fight other construction
    6. Fight with "in between base" fights (Barricade, Flail, point secure)
    7. Set an OS
    • 1-4 are best done in safty, far away from the frontline
    • 5 Is seperated gameplay, time intensive and usually not rewarding
    • 6 is not worth (base gets destroyed quickly, no fun, boring guard, cortium burn, rare fights anyway, can be bypassed)
    • 7 Right idea, bases are moving up to frontline with this! But the potential of OS is atm lacking and a bad time/reward ratio
    Summary:
    Build a supportive base in friendly terretory or go home.
    Very limited (no construction zones, no attacking/staying power, mainentence)
    No need for construction (no thread)
    No need to attack construction (no thread)
    --> Still bad interference with usual gameplay
  14. Armcross

I am looking forward for more improvement.
  15. adamts01

I've loved Libs since I first started this game, but I rarely used them pre-CAI because ESF were so much better at everything. The lack of people pulling them at that time doesn't mean players weren't interested, just that the aircraft wasn't balanced. Same with construction, it just needs more work. Just look back at the amount of players that came back to the game when construction was released as proof that people are interested in the concept.
    • Up x 1
  16. Roxxlyy Community Relations

Wrel doesn't make decisions for the game based off of what he likes or doesn't like. In fact, he doesn't just decide what we are or aren't doing at all. We operate as a team, make choices as a team, and there isn't any personal bias about gameplay coming into any of the decisions we make.

To say there will be no improvements to a system because a dev doesn't like it is completely false. Regardless, we updated construction in a large way barely 1 month ago. It was called the "Construction Reconstructed" update, and you can read the patch notes for it here.

We have no plans to remove construction from the game, but will keep making changes to the system as the game evolves and changes, too.
    • Up x 15
  17. FateJH

This is something you should have never had to have been made to say explicitly, but I'm happy that you have said it.
    • Up x 1
  18. HippoCryties

Ah finally the official word on how Wrel isn’t the sole voice of the dev team! Now I can tell all those idiots who cry Wrel ruined the game to come check out this post. Well said
    • Up x 1
  19. Diilicious

No but what does need to be removed to actually MAKE SOME ROOM FOR CONSTRUCTION TO BE USEFUL, is over half of the current world bases that exist. thats what needs to be removed.

I dont know how anyone thought construction could possibly have a place in this game when there are indestructable bases ever 200 yards.

The devs need to do a lot of landscaping to create interesting locations that Player bases can be built.

All hexes that contain a base that is not a major facility (at least 3 points) should be removed and they should be Grey on the map to denote an unclaimed Hex, if you want the hex you build a base there.
    • Up x 1
  20. karlooo

Yes yes, everyone saw the patch notes. But the patch notes clearly show the team doesn't know what to do with construction.
    By just reading you can see the obvious issues, which won't solve anything and cause more problem for player made bases.
    Almost anyone who main construction, knew these problems before the update came out.

The player made bases had issues, some of which devs saw, but updated it incorrectly. The OS change just became a game ruiner...for both allies and enemies. The nerfed defenses completely ruined the idea of front line bases.

The only thing they got a bit correct was the routing spire. Routing spire was a clever way to make construction players contribute in the actual game. But it should have continued, more items than only 1...you could have added, small barriers, tank barriers, some useable turrets (like engineer mana turret, maybe with 20mm rounds), shields, radar, some other special items, that could be built for cortium in 'no construction zones'.
    And yeah this could have made construction players actually contribute in the fights, in a good, and enjoyable way... cover, turrets, are very important for defending (make it possible for ants to deploy in 'no deploy zones' so you can easily build).

For the actual player made bases, they can just act as barriers between continents....so give them back the shields please. Give the defenders more ways to defend, more turrets, better turrets, decrease the radius of no construction zones. It needs to be more enjoyable! What the devs did now with player made bases, just makes it not worth building anymore.
    (I would also say, remove flail, OS, very bad weapons, and rework Glaive IPC into some enjoyable weapon - enjoyable pls lol)

These are very simple suggestions which could be just simply improved.