Would an expansion revitalize the population?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ronjahn, Nov 15, 2015.

1. ronjahn

I've seen your TDM idea many times and I disagree with it :p, but you hit the nail on the head with the Hossin comment. I created this thread after responding to someone else's thread about my frustrations with Hossin.

I still personally think they should have made Hossin half(or less) of the size of the other continents. It took them over a year to release a giant swamp, that hardly anyone ended up liking, that was and still is filled with place holder/incomplete bases. They could have spent that year creating two smaller refined continents, or six months creating something half the size that was actually complete and moved on to creating other content. I was so suprised and disappointed when I saw the size of Hossin on release day.
  2. ronjahn

I'm a bit curious about the new Columbus Nova owners myself. Seems like since they took over not much has really changed. I wonder what their long term plan for the Planetside franchise is. Do they see a future for it? Will they support a PS3 someday? Will they force DBG towards a more mainstream type of FPS development for the franchise?(i.e. Churning out new titles every 6months)
  3. Goretzu

I suspect they were gambling on H1Z1 being enough (which it might have been if it hadn't been so plagued by hackers), given what DBGs have done to the Dev team I can't see a realistic PS3 unless the rights are bought by/transfered too someone else.

The thing that mostly suprises me is they didn't push their city-fight battle islands idea more.

PS2 reminds me quite a lot of Warhammer Online (which basically slashed its Dev team just before release when it needed to keep it at that level for probably 12 months after release to fix and finish everything), in that once you've reduced development pace to a point where it is never realistically going to fix what needs to be fixed you're just in a decline, the only variable is how slow or fast it is.

Although SOE did keep up a good pace of development initially they kept having to redo stuff and never really got on top of things - I doubt they had much commercial choice on when to release, but (like WAR) I suspect another 6+ months in Beta would have done wonders, if they could have afforded it.
  4. Foxirus

Six months is too long for the current state of the games health. Back when SOE still had planetside 2, It literally just started to turn a profit. Once this happened, It was bought out by DBG. Now DBG has to turn around and remake the money they used to acquire planetside 2 with. Because they are an investment firm, If they are going to deem this game a failure and try to sell it off again, You can bet it will happen the moment they break even, Like SOE did.

Until then, Update and content releases are going to be as slow as a snail through ******* honey.