Will you use HEAT/HE after the changes?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Nexus545

That's a big reduction to the kill radius. The thing is they buffed HE against vehicles a while back and now nerfing it slightly fits in with it becoming a sidegrade (Which everything in the game should be). Hopefully after some additional tweaking it will all work out.
  2. Scr1nRusher

they should have NEVER buffed HE vs vehicles.

I even told SOE to undo it!
  3. WTSherman

Honestly the AP nerfs don't look good for VS or NC either.

The NC is losing 275 damage, VS is losing 265, while TR is only losing 50 (which works out to 100 per magazine). So now the damage gap between TR and NC/VS AP guns is even wider. o_O
  4. Alarox

HE is absolutely horrible at killing vehicles. They're not nerfing HE's AI to bring it in line as a sidegrade, they're nerfing HE's AI because they want to make tanks less effective at killing infantry in general.
  5. Alarox

They're not nerfing AP. The patch on 7/2 overrides the patch on 7/1.
    • Up x 1
  6. z1967

I didn't really use HEAT before (mainly AP and Skyguards) but I can see why people would stop using it. Personally, I don't think that these are good changes and that HE and HEAT ammos should just have less reserve ammo instead. More frequent trips to resupply for farmers would be nice, whilst AP is relatively unchanged. However, I think that AP should be the stock MBT gun (or at least cheaper and easy to get) as opposed to the current costs now.
  7. Inex

Maybe if they switched the velocity spread, and made HE the fast one? A little weird, but it might let them achieve the goal of making HE useful without having it be a room clearer.
  8. Nogrim313

it's funny they created this problem like 2 months in to the game with the massive increase to tank round velocity.
    at launch you could peek of cover and get back in to it before a tank round could travel the distance, but then they buffed velocities and made Van/prowlers damn near hit scan weapons ffs.

the damage isnt the issue its that the tank rounds are closing the gap before people have a chance to react to them being fired
    the magriders main gun is an example of what it used to be like for all the tanks, when was the last time you heard some one complain the Mags main gun was too good?
  9. Alarox

Why should people have a chance to react to a tank shell? We might as well switch to wooden catapults...

Also, how is 200-275m/s "damn near hit scan"? Every pistol in the game has a higher velocity than that.
    • Up x 1
  10. Adinatore

As I mentioned on the 7/2 patch notes thread, there realistically will only be a small niche in which HEAT will be useful. In combination with something like the kobalt, HEAT rounds can allow 2 man crews to kill infantry at a sub-par, yet decent, rate. Of course, this could also be done more effectively without the nerf but that's beside the point. The issue is that an MBT driver must land a direct hit to OHK or otherwise he will fail to kill the infantry he was firing at. Tank drivers often don't have the luxury of being able to fire two rounds before targets are able to get into cover and as such HEAT becomes trivially ineffective compared to AP. If the driver misses, the consequences are slightly better than AP. If the driver hits, the reward is the same as AP. In exchange for this small benefit for missing, a driver sacrifices an immense amount of AV damage. Simply put, the trade off for HEAT over AP isn't worth the small splash benefit.

This change notably hurts new players the most since they are forced to use HEAT. Without it's OHK splash, HEAT will be quite ineffective at stopping, say, 3 heavies from charging a tank across an open field and killing it (w/o an AI secondary ofc).

Overall, I will continue to use AP for AV work, and, since I can't use HEAT to deal with combined threats, I'll likely relegate my need to kill AI and AV to my AP cannon and work on honing my accuracy. When I need to kill infantry and I know that I have AP support to deal with AV surprises, I'll use HE since it will work as a slightly less effective old HEAT cannon. In short, the change puts HEAT in an awkward position in terms of purpose.
  11. Peebuddy

I haven't used HE rounds (on a MBT anyway) in months, ever since they ****** with the splash damage.

These days splash damage doesn't exist, SOE killed it.

So just grab the only effective AI gun (AP rounds) and get back to sniping infantry with it.

Hell even the AP gun is getting pathetic too, with the max increase resistance to AP rounds.

Soon the deadliest weapon tanks will have will be the gunner sitting out the hatch using his sword.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  12. Frozen-K

Eh. Only time I'd bother using HE now is to aurax it since I never really used it much. I'm fine with my AP loadout since I prefer hunting vehicles over infantry.

Hopefully when they look at the secondary weapons, they make them absolutely terrifying to face if you're on foot, since the current iterations of most of them are kind of...Well, you know. Not scary at all. I'd definitely be okay with my gunner having some good infantry killing power.
  13. Tommyp2006

I want to finish my last tank main cannon auraxium, HE, so I don't have much choice but to use it, no matter how painful it may be. I will always prefer AP though.
  14. Stormsinger

I already swapped to Secret World, for the most part - the complexity is refreshing. I still dink around in PS2, but the constant nuking of vehicles is obnoxious.

Yes, i'm biased - I think vehicles should be powerful as heck, it should just take more effort to be able to use them. When every last individual unit can pull a tank, of course there are going to be berjillions everywhere. No amount of nerfing will reduce the spamability of vehicles, just the incentive to use them. That may be the point, but i'm not sure that making vehicles suck in general is healthy for the game.

Create a system that makes a player work for the privilege to earn the ability to pull a vehicle, and there will be less vehicles.
    Nerf the current vehicles into near uselessness, while removing the usefulness of certain weapons, and there will be less players.

To answer Alarox's original question - No, I will most likely not be using the new HE / HEAT. Perhaps HEAT occasionally, but never HE. I typically use AP anyway.
    • Up x 1
  15. NDroid

Right now I only ever use HEAT together with the PPA when pulling AI tanks, which doesn't happen very often. After the changes I guess I'll change the HEAT to HE since HEAT will no longer be particularly effective against infantry and the HE will have its absurdly long reload speeds reduced.

It's not ideal but it would still be the best AI main cannon available.
    • Up x 1
  16. Thrustin

I used to use HE for my lightning to rid small bases of squad attacks. If these changes go in, I won't bother with vehicular AI.

What's the point in making ground vehicles, air vehicles and infantry continuously ineffective against each other? This will just split the game into three layers with very little intermixing. So much for cooperative combat.
  17. FBVanu

I have tried the Prowler HE as a 30 min trial.. . it has ridiculous drop... that HE shell is dragging a parachute behind it, the moment it leaves the barrel.. I did not like that slow shell at all.

since AP has no splash at all, and, if my understanding is correct, AP will no longer be the neck breaking shell to go after armor, there is really no need for AP then, is there?

I run a lightning HEAT on NC and an HE lightning on Vanu.. the thing is, every time i wish I had the other.. when I run HE, i could have really used HEAT, when I run the NC., I wish I could have had the HE round.. it just never fits perfectly.

If we could switch the loadout some of these nerfs wouldn't hurt so bad, but, since we can't, and probably won't be able to for another year or more..

HEAT still seems to be the best choice (less sucky then the others).. I have to become a better shot with it.
  18. BadLlama

Honestly, if you are running a MBT you should be using the AP cannon and then whatever secondary you want. If you want to farm infantry pull a lightning with the viper cannon. There is no point to farm infantry in a MBT when a lightning can do it better (Less proper circumstances that allow a deployed prowler to **** on infantry for an extended period of time).
  19. dstock

For me, it depends on the tank.

When I pull a Lightning, it's either AP or Skyguard. I have HE, haven't touched it for over a year (came with vehicle weapon pack), with one exception (I managed to flip that one, lol). I like the AP as my all-around gun, though I'm terrible at AA with it (it's the projectile velocity, I just need practice), but that's what the Skyguard is for, right?

The Vanguard is the easiest decision. I'm not good with it, less than ~2k certs into it, and it was a chore to use before I got AP. I'll be sticking with AP.

For the Magrider, I have HEAT and AP. I like the AP, that's what I usually pull, and I expect that to continue. The Magrider still serves well for tower offense/defense at certain bases (north-east Mao, Regent Rock, Crossroads, several on Esamir, etc), and I may pull HEAT/PPA in the future for dedicated "indoor" work. Those pulls will be the exception.

I played a lot of HEAT Prowler back in the day, and I've moved on to AP. I have HE (same vehicle bundle), but it's got zoom 1 and ammo 2, no reload: never gets used.

Basically, nothing is really going to change for me. I'll also still prefer pulling Harassers, so take the above with that in mind, ha.
  20. FBVanu

Can somebody fill in the blanks, so we have all the correct numbers for all values?
    there were nerfs in April and now new nerfs, I am missing some data. Can anyone fill in the blanks?
    I would like to have one complete list. Thank you for your help.

Lightning HEAT

· Blast damage reduced from 1000 to 750
    · What is the direct damage (vs Vehicle, AI)
    · What is the blast radius for the blast damage (splash)

Lightning HE

· Time to reload reduced from 3750 to 3000
    · Outer blast radius reduced from 8 meters to 5 meters
    · Inner blast radius reduced from 1.5 meters to 1 meter
    · What is the direct damage (vs Vehicle, AI )
    · What is the blast damage (splash)

Lightning Viper

· Blast damage reduced to 450
    • What is the direct damage (vs Vehicle, AI)
    • What is the blast radius for the blast damage (splash)

Magrider HEAT

• is there an 'outer' blast radius ?

Magrider HE

· Time to reload reduced from 4750ms to 3750ms
    · Inner blast radius reduced from 2 meters to 1 meter
    • what is the splash damage

Vanguard HEAT

• is there an 'outer' blast radius? damage?

Vanguard HE

· Time to reload reduced from 4750ms to 4000ms
    · Inner blast radius reduced from 2 meters to 1 meter
    • What is the blast damage (splash damage)

Prowler AP

· Blast damage reduced from 500 to 375

Prowler HEAT

· Blast damage reduced from 650 to 450

Prowler HE

· Time to reload reduced from 3500ms to 2500ms

• What is the blast damage (splash)
    what other values am I missing?