Will there be a Linux version?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatthiasK, Nov 30, 2012.

1. MatthiasK

Yes, that's the thing.

Also, since both OSX and Linux are UNIX type operating systems, binary code for one should run on the other (I know for a fact that Linux applications run on Mach-based OS's). If they don't use Cocoa (I imagine they won't), they don't even need to change the code. Or rather, WE don't need to change the code since .app is basically a folder with a fancy extension.
  2. Nocturnal7x

There will be a linux version after there is a mac version. And there will be a mac version when hell freezes over.
  3. MatthiasK

Smedley stated that there will definitely be a Mac version.

Though they might have tried to hammer some sense into his brain by now. This game won't even run on most Macs (leaving alone the fact that most Mac users use them for business purposes exclusively).
  4. VinLAURiA

I believe SOE has said that Linux is a no, while OS X is possible.
  5. Mono?

Ain't it a waste to port to mac... I mean... the vast number of mac users out there would not even be able to run the game on high graphics + gpu physx without spending a metric F*** tonne of cash to have a good enough rig (come on.... Planetside is dam resource hungry). You'll just have a small bunch of mac users that complain of their low fps on their mac book air. At least with Linux, people can add their own hardware and the general intelligence of linux users seem to be a bit higher. Plus only a small portion of the computing world can actually use OSX while everyone can run linux and windows...

So come on SoE, beat Battlefield and COD to Linux and get all the praise. Hell, I'd even pledge a couple hundred for a working linux port. I've already given you that already yin Station cash support haha! I even bought crossover for linux to run ps2 reasonable successfully but then an april update came out and screwed it all.

I'm running Linux Mint 14 and dual booting win7 just for planetside 2. Mint 15 is officially out at end of this month and things are only getting better. People describe the Linux Mint distro as 'windows 8 minus the bad bits'. Nvidia drivers are solid and stable and steam for linux is pretty much flawless!

- Oh and to those 'hardcore' windows only fanboys that think they are so special... you are actually using linux every day and probably not knowing it. Or if you don't understand what linux is... you should probably watch this....

- I'm scared to see what windows9 will be (will they even support desktops anymore?)

Apologies for the mild rant - I just want to see some bigger titles like planetside consider a port. My 2 and a bit cents
    • Up x 1
  6. abstractconcept

There will be idiots on every platform. Unless Planetside2 is specifically targeting those people, there should really be no great influx of moronic mac users. Nor will having a Linux port give you a grand swarm of really nice players.
    -----
    For Win9 though, no .. I don't think there will be many desktops;
    but there will be angry birds 2! Won't that make up for it?
    Sadly, this madness is not just confined to Microsoft, just look at the LaunchPad in OSX 10.7+ or Ubuntu Unity or GNOME 3. Everyone seems to be obsessed with making your computer so easy-to-use it can't do anything.
    To coin a term, "EASY-Button OS." Its shiny, and does nothing.

PS: Linux and OS-X are both UNIX-like, shouldn't we be fighting together against the Windows heathens?
    Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
  7. Badname3073

The problem is that desktop linux users are too smart to be the target audience of the majority of media companies. A desktop linux user is almost certainly an independent thinker, and it is usually difficult to sell mainstream "content" to such a person.
  8. MatthiasK

True, but not quite valid in the long run.

For you see, as more games get ported to Linux, people start playing them. But they still keep a Windows partition around for the mainstream stuff, and they desperately want to get rid of it.
    The thing is, these mainstream games are only available on Windows, which makes people use Windows to play them. There are a lot of people that actually want to switch OS's, but only want one OS on their hard disk(s), like me. These people would basically switch over the moment Linux became a feasible alternative for gaming. And it's slowly getting there, with SOURCE already running well, and a lot of indie games getting ports for it.

The only thing that's missing is a mainstream game to be released on Linux, to show the other publishers how big the audience could be. This game would, though, need to not abandon the platform when the initial numbers seem low, because over time, the audience will increase as awareness of higher fps figures spreads.

And, just looking at the numbers, a Linux release is better than a mac release. Why is that?
    Easy: even based on the ludicrous pie chart on page 1 of this thread, Linux is the better way to go:
    Mac: 6%, 0.5% possibly playing games, 0.25% with the hardware to run new mainstream games (percentage figures given are over all)
    Linux: 1%, 0.5% possibly playing games, 0.3% with the hardware to run new mainstream games

Now these figures are basically the same, I'd say.
    But:
    Mac: potential for userbase growth is low
    Linux: potential for userbase growth is high, if applications are ported, if not, slightly higher than Mac.

Payment figures taken from the Humble weekly sale website:
    Windows users average: 2.66$
    Mac users average: 3.14$
    Linux users average: 3.25$
    Now, we see that Linux users pay the most on average, and are most likely to pay more to support games they like. This is a bundle that has one Win+Mac only game, because of which the figures are slightly lower, but you get the point.
    The thing is, Mac users will pay the company less money than Linux users, despite the audiences being about equal in size. Add to that that porting to either system has about an equal difficulty attached (MacOS X difficulty might be higher, because of largely missing system documentation), it makes more sense to port to Linux. And porting to both systems is easy too: It basically just means giving your Linux build some fancy packaging and maybe having it come with an X11 installer.
  9. TeknoBug

Been a long time Linux user since 1995, it's a little annoying that I have to be in Windows to play the games I like because not all games run that well under WINE (or at one point Cedega) but WINE is improving slowly.
  10. abstractconcept

X11 / XQuartz is NOT a viable option for a game; not if you want people to play it that is. X11 has always behaved sluggishly in my experience.

Also, what OS-X Documentation are you having trouble finding?

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/navigation/
  11. Blarg20011

12. MatthiasK

You see, the last time I actually used OSX was a few years ago, more to the point I used v10.4.11 (Tiger). I remember having X11 installed, but that's about it. As for sluggish behavior, that was the Mac I had back then: it was slow anyway, with its tiny 900MHz processor and 154MB RAM.
    Thanks for clearing that up, then.
    I did not know about that, thanks.

Also, thanks for bumping the thread.