Will there be a Linux version?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatthiasK, Nov 30, 2012.

1. HellasVagabond

From all the games listed there most are at least 4-5 years old.....So once again i am asking all of you Linux supporters to list new games in OpenGL......So no i am not digging a hole, i am just being objective.
  2. Hael

Also, the only reason more games don't use OpenGL is because a lot of companies want multiplatform games to maximize profit, and one of the biggest platforms this gen just HAPPENS to be owned by the same company that owns DirectX. It has nothing to do with the benefits of one engine vs another.
  3. Badname3073

What I do not understand is why devs even bother writing game engines for DirectX? I mean, any developer strives (or at least tries to strive) for portability of his/her work, especially if it is to be reused for multiple applications and maintained for a long timespan. Unless Microsoft secretly pays kickbacks to major game development companies to use exclusively DirectX, there is simply no reason for that. OpenGL is highly portable and is standard in all professional engineering applications, somehow only games use DirectX.
  4. Hael

See:
  5. Xale

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/60544/why-do-game-developers-prefer-windows

That'll deal with a lot of issues. Whats not mentioned there as I recall is that GL 3 and GL4 have very poor driver support. Oh they pass tests, but things tend to not be overly reliable.

Also to point out, MAC OS until recently did not support GL3. It still does not support GL4.

Finally, OpenGL only provides equivalents for D3D. It does not give you anything for sound, KB&Mouse input, controller input (Xbox360 controller), and joystick input.
  6. TheLeader

ahhhahahahaha. You think you know how linux works and your'e using eclipse.

You say you know how linux really works. But you don't. Come back when you know how process scheduling, multi threading, etc. work.
  7. Achmed20

OpenGL has some major limitations when it comes to "playing" with hardware and squeezing the max out of it.
    while D3D expects yout to manage the hardwareresources yourself, OpenGL does this part for you. this sounds nice in theory but in reality kinda starts limiting you if you want to create a state of the art game.

also, the PS3 and the Wii f.e. both support OpenGL nt so sure abut the wii) but still developers prefer to use the vendors interface for coding. so im quite sure there must be a pretty good reason why barely any1 uses it.
  8. Hael

Oh please get over yourself. I can work in vim as well as anyone else. If you wanna cripple yourself using archaic tools by all means go ahead, but laughing at me for using an IDE doesn't show you know anything other than how to bandwagon.
  9. TheLeader

In all seriousness though, come on people. Why in the world would they waste time developing for linux? They are going to make virtually no increased revenue for SOE. Seriously, no one is sitting on linux, who wants to play the game, and says "Oh well I'm not gonna bother, it's not on linux"

getting it on mac is a pipe dream too.
  10. TheLeader

I use an IDE, but if you're gonna try to convince people you "know how linux works", some java based IDE being open on another monitor isn't going to convince anyone.
  11. Hael

I'm willing to bet roughly 80-90% of the people on this forum don't even know what eclipse is. I'd say that's a fairly good gate for separating the "I play lots of games" folks from the "I might actually know how things work" folks. If I have to then further differentiate myself to people like you by getting into specifics so be it, but that's sort of going on a tangent.
  12. Achmed20

you must be some sort of oracle if you magicaly know what someone does for work by just reading this.
    i bow before you whise oracle. please become the leader of human mankind and lead us all to glory and freedom.
  13. m44v

uhmm, are you telling me that Valve is using a poor methodology for benchmark their own software? You know, benchmarks they do for find the bottlenecks they have to fix? Did you read this comment in the very link I provided?

Yeah, but PS2 uses another bunch of Windows stuff so Wine pretty much crashes it.
  14. Badname3073

Do you realize that nowadays in games there is often one extra layer of virtualization above D3D/OpenGL, and that is called a "game engine"? Like, for instance, Valve has their Source "engine", which is used by many of their games. And you know why there is this extra layer of virtualization? Precisely to deal with what you pointed at in your link. And if you read about the Source engine, you will find out that it can work both with DirectX or OpenGL, whichever is available, integrate joystick and mouse if the graphics API does not provide it, and so forth, because its exact purpose is to provide cross-platform portability, it can work in Windows, Linux, MacOS, and even Xbox and Playstation 3. When you have such an "engine", you essentially do not care which platform you are writing your code for; it is no longer your problem.

Now guess what, PS2 also has its own "engine", which is AFAIK called "Forgelight", and which is purported to run different games beside PS2 (in the future, I guess). So, the question is: since they created the whole new layer of virtualization to run multiple games anyway, why does it only support DirectX? What was the point of creating it then? Besides, do you know that Sony's own Playstations use OpenGL? I simply do not beileve that this Forgelight does not support OpenGL, it simply cannot be. So, I smell politics here, because there is no rationale for what is going on.
  15. Tatwi

1. You don't know what you are talking about.
    2. You have no comprehention of why there are limited OpenGL titles.
    3. You have access to the same Internet as the rest of us. Feel free to use it to educate yourself.

Most importantly, however, I already answered your question:
    If you don't understand, that's ok, but you should head to Google for answers rather than make yourself look foolish on these forums.

Here, I'll give you a nice place to start, because I am feeling generous with my time tonight:
    http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX
  16. Xale

Which needs to be developed for the platform. Its of course why Epic has to explicitly announce/point-out that UE4 runs on the PS4. To remind everyone that "they are ready".

To run games based on their own requirements.
    Most commercial game engines are designed to run in small constrained environments.
  17. Badname3073

It does not need to be developed if only Windows is used. DirectX obscures hardware enough to be the "engine" in that case, and there were many games which did not have any particular "engine", they just called DirectX routines.
    This game is not an average game. It is an F2P game, where the main goal is to maximize the number of users, and ease of access is one of the key factors here. Valve with TF2 did it right - they now have Steam and TF2 natively for Linux, and it took them 3 months to port both.
  18. HellasVagabond

Let me spell it out for you.....I DON'T CARE about the WHY....I Only care about the END RESULT....Does it matter if GOD came down himself and told people not to support OpenGL ? The End Result is that game developers DON'T for their reasons....And IF you had any idea about what GLIDE was back in the day you'd know that it was superior to both OpenGL and DX....Yet it was Dropped as well when 3DFX declared bankruptcy.....Again the Why and the How matter not, the End Result does......

I hope you can understand what i'm saying now.
  19. Achmed20

1. there is no extra (extra) layer! there is just a graphicsengine which uses D3D or OpenGL (D3D in this case) and since both have a different approach, one does not simply change it like they use to do back in the good old days where 3D was nothing more then a polygon with some textures. there is plenty more to do and a ~3% userbase (of which not even 5% may even play PS2) doesnt justify these extra development costs in any possible way. its just not economic.

2. wat do you mean whats the point? if you even had the slightest clue about developing then you would know the answer so you may want to stop talk about stuff you dont even understand.

3. the PS3 SUPPORTS OpenGL but barely any developer is using it simply because the PS3 own engine is superior to OpenGL and its bound way tighter to the hardware then OpenGL ever will be.
  20. Achmed20

thats not how i remember it ^^