Will there be a Linux version?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatthiasK, Nov 30, 2012.

1. kamenjar

I haven't been using an antivirus for years and I haven't gotten infected ever. To each his own, I guess. This has been beaten over and over on numerous websites and google is your proof. Just google for "compiz high cpu", "compiz nvidia problem", "glibc broken gethostbyname" etc. are just some of the issues I've been encountering in the past. Those are the kinds of issues a typical desktop user may encounter and will drive them away from Linux.
  2. Oreo202

What is with the people on this forum and bumping ancient threads?
  3. HellasVagabond

Valve threw Linux users a bone and they woke up, that's all.
  4. m44v

I'm a Linux user, I only boot to Windows for play games. Valve seems to believe the Linux market is worth to pursue but really SOE isn't going to bother.

Also, my favourite link to post for Linux vs Windows gaming dramas

Left 4 Dead 2 runs faster on Linux

Dunno, It used to be like that, but nowadays distros like Ubuntu work out of the box in most computers, I have installed it on several laptops (Lenovo, Asus and Dell) and it worked out of the box, no drivers required. I have installed Ubuntu in like 10 different desktop computes at home and at my university without issues, the biggest problem I can think of is installing Linux on Secure Boot enabled motherboards. On the other hand installing and maintaining Windows is a pain in the ***, you have to get the drivers, install every little application needed for normal work (office suite, pdf reader, zipper, video codecs, etc), and stuff gets broken in odd ways that you can only fix by reinstalling.

LoL People don't install Compiz anymore, is been like that for some years now. Every major distro has their own compositing window manager working out of the box by default.
  5. HellasVagabond

Left 4 Dead 2 is not what i'd call an heavy duty game.......Valve know what they are doing, they just want more sales and to improve their PR and what better way than to throw a bone to Linux users who bash Windows all the time ? Not that this will change anything in the long run but i doubt Valve is thinking long term.
  6. m44v

And how is that relevant? There's no other decent game you can use for comparison.
  7. HellasVagabond

There are countless of games you can use via emulation to see that they play a lot worse......But like i said Valve knows what they are doing, they threw a very light (requirements-wise) title to Linux users out there to make them believe that everything's possible and that Linux may actually perform better than Windows....It's called a Publicity trick.
  8. Tatwi

World of Warcraft plays great with wine and the proprietary nViidia drivers. Still crappy drivers from both nVidia and AMD, but I think we'll continue to see AMD improve due to their APUs being used in the PS4, which will more than likely be another BSD derived OS like the PS3's. Anyhow, I for one would like to be able to use Slackware for everything, including games.

You seem to not understand how OpenGL and hardware drivers work. The Linux kernel does not inhibit playing games at all. The will of hardware manufacturers to write proper drivers and game developers to make games using OpenGL is the only thing stopping GNU/Linux/FreeBSD from being the best gaming platform.
  9. m44v

oh boy, you do talk without knowing jack.
  10. vincent-

Respect others on how they build their systems were all players here.
  11. HellasVagabond

Being the best gaming platform based on what exactly ? On what if that and what if this ? Or just because Left 4 Dead 2 plays better that means that all OpenGL games will too ?

Regardless if you think that game manufacturers will stop using DX and go back to the days of OpenGL then i think that we should go back to GLIDE since it was the best back in the day.....Neither is happening however.
  12. Tatwi

Yup, you have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you could stop blowing smoke for a bit and go out with some of those female friends you were talking about.
  13. HellasVagabond

Ok then tell us about all the latest best selling game titles that use OpenGL......I am very eager to find out.......Since i don't know what i am talking about obviously......
  14. Hael

Actually, Valve is probably thinking long-term with their L4D2 port, but not in the way you're thinking. The odds of Ubuntu or Fedora getting big are pretty slim, but it makes a great platform to cut your teeth on leading into serious Android development.

We're at a point where in another few years tablets will be good enough to replace laptops, and with the ever-present promise of a proper desktop Android OS, I think Valve is banking on Google making a big "home PC" push at some point, either via tablets as laptops or through a "proper" OS. Either way, if Valve can land on release day with a full bevy of titles, they set to not only make Steam a standard part of the OS, but also to make serious bank.
  15. Tatwi

/yawn
  16. HellasVagabond

What's wrong ? I am sure you have many examples since i know not what i am talking about........
  17. Hael

You really need to stop talking. Even if you HAD a point earlier in the thread, you're digging a huge hole for yourself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OpenGL_programs
  18. Zotamedu

If they bother to port it from DirectX to OpenGL for it to run on Mac, then it shouldn't be hard to make it run on a Linux dist. The main problem will likely be performance. The graphics drivers for Linux are far from good. It'll probably get better as Steam launches their version for Ubuntu. So it's not impossible, just unlikely.

But wait, isn't PS2 using DirectX 9? Shouldn't that mean you can run it under Wine?
  19. Badname3073

Take your meds NOW
  20. Xale

Its generally recommended to use links which have not been criticized for poor methodology and which fails to highlights a large number of potential reasons.

A rather significant one they left out: the engine they're using in Linux is significantly newer. They also neglect to mention whether or not they performed an IQ (Image Quality) test.

As a piece of advice - Linux is officially available on Steam, I suggest you get benchmarks which are more up to date and make live comparisons. (No I have not checked them)
    Yes.