Will there be a Linux version?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MatthiasK, Nov 30, 2012.

1. yogafire

How can anyone think switching a game like this from windows over to linux is a trivial thing to do? Also given the amount of linux users why ever bother market share does not make it remotely worth the expense.
  2. Achmed20

dude ... internet .... worldwide!!!!
    realy people, get some real charts at least and not some "finetuned" stuff out of a single country. thats represents NOTHING.
    its like saying that noone needs refridgerators because only 1% of people living in anarktika use them.
  3. Achmed20

i liek linux and i use it almost exclusivly at work but using it at home?
    no way. its annoying, user unfriendly getting certain hardware to run is usualy a pain and its all so inconsitant.
    plenty of audio wrappers, opengl still sucks for coding, then you have like 10 different desktops and X-Server arent exactly fun to code either. i doubt steam is going to change that either.

thats teh problem with freedom/open source. to many "standards"
  4. jdrake7766

A big motivator for the linux market may come with the Steam console. It will be running it's own flavor of linux.
  5. Hael

YOU find some counter-evidence then. EVERY survey I can find puts Linux at next to nothing for market share. At MOST I'm seeing it push close to 1.7% or so, but we're still talking essentially nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What are you trying to prove, exactly? That Linux users make up some meaningful portion of the market space? Because they don't.
  6. TeknoBug

Some games run well under WINE but most games don't or at least has nagging issues when playing under WINE. I wouldn't mind seeing a native but that's a long shot, at least Valve is supporting the platform and they're actually getting a lot of support and testers.

I'm a long time Debian user since 1998, started with Linux in 1995 with Slackware and some experience with several variants of Unix like NetBSD, HP/UX, AIX, Solaris and SunOS.

PS- about a decade ago, Linux was putting on enough impact that Microsoft did campaigns of saying Linux is evil.
  7. Achmed20

if you read my pots carefully then you'd realise that i havent lost a single word about the linux stats beeing wrong. its probably just 3% worldwide (pure guess, probably way more if you take into account the android is based on Linux).
    for the linux client or numbers themselfs, i couldnt care less if there is a linux version or not.

what im trying to prove is: That the graph itself is useless because it represents one country only and is therefore simply not the right base to work with. if you throw up numbers, at least use some right ones.
    just a tip :p

now lets be friends ;)
  8. 008bond

[IMG]

"If you consider NetApplications' data set, then Linux owns only about 2 percent of the desktop OS market and Windows has almost 92 percent. But if you consider all computing platforms, including mobile, than Windows has only 20 percent and Linux has 42 percent - and that would be in the form of Google's Android alone." No more or less legitimate than claiming Windows owns 92% of the market. It's all a matter of perspective.

Also keep in mind that Mac OS X only has a 4% market share in desktop computing. Yet it's getting a port.
    • Up x 1
  9. Katana

I'd like to know if there will be a working windows version.
    • Up x 3
  10. Hael

To be fair, if we're talking about porting PS2 to other platforms, we should be using the dataset that accounts for PCs, not one that also includes phones. SOE isn't going to port to Linux because there are a large number of Android phone users, after all. That has no impact on potential profitability.

Also, I'm curious what your chart means by "total payments." We live in an age where your average desktop costs less than a cell phone. If they're accounting for the unsubsidised cost of every cell phone sold (so that $100 phone from verizon is being tracked at its full $700 price tag since it was "sold" to the carrier) then that explains in part how those numbers come about.
  11. Trinith

Those poor 8%.... :D
    • Up x 1
  12. f1stbr34k3r

If it happens I will change to linux [as long as performance results are the same as l4d2 ones, where linux has better fps]
  13. Verisimilituder

008bond, those Apple users are basically open wallets; dumb bastards throw money at stuff, of course you want people who buy Apple stuff to also be your customers.

Hael, that other graph is from a game software bundle sale site (games that work on Windows, OSX and Linux). Since OSX and Linux are so devoid of games, when a bundle of largely mediocre games goes on sale, of course they'll be over represented; the Windows users already have a massive selection and so may not care about the humble bundle.

Achmed20, statistics for ''one country'' may often be inconsequential, but not when that country is the primary consumer of your target market. You may not like reality, but that doesn't change it; a market share chart for the U.S. is generally always meaningful information.
  14. DanMan3395

Mac OS X, although Linux based is at least "Standardized" though. This thread shouldn't be about a Linux port, it should be about a port to MINT or UBUNTU specifically. Expecting them to make this game for some goofball flavor other than those 2 is nuts and I would say just go with whatever Steam decided to support which is UBUNTU. I am a Mint man myself but I would switch to UBUNTU in a heartbeat if the steam version of PS2 became available for Linux.
  15. Goretzu

Android has a smaller share than iOS? Was that data collected in 2003? :confused:
  16. Hael

Notice it represents ipad, iphone, AND ipod.
  17. Badname3073

FYI, Steam and TF2 have recently been released for Linux. So, while sceptics are sceptical, game developers gradually start to realize that when they release an F2P game, it is important to attract people who use free software exclusively.

EDIT: However, in the case of PS2, their game engine appears to use DirectX, which in itself is an epic fail. All serious engines use OpenGL because of portability.
  18. kamenjar

The day Linux becomes "usable" by the general public will be the day when game developers start developing for Linux.

I worked even on embedded linux and I work with Linux servers every day. It is perfect for servers/services. However, when it comes to desktop and consumer devices and drivers it is a hell to work with, even for an experienced person. Windows comes out "working out of the box", where Linux gives you headache from day one.
  19. Badname3073

On the contrary, Linux works out of the box, and for Windows I needed to dig all kinds of drivers out of manufacturer's websites. Not even mentioning a weird program called "antivirus" (have yet to find out what it is for). Besides, you are clearly not a Linux developer, so please do not mislead the audience.
  20. Hael

Ever try just "installing" something on Linux without using apt-get, yum, or some other package manager? The dependencies alone for some seriously basic **** are enough to send someone screaming into the night, and that doesn't even assume sub-dependencies. Linux only works "out of the box" assuming you never need to install anything beyond what comes on the disc.

And I like how you pretend like Linux doesn't have driver issues, either. Ignoring all the stuff that flat out doesn't work in linux because there isn't a driver for it (like 3rd party controllers), you still need to deal with video card drivers
    • Up x 1