Will PS2 on PS4 use some form of PhysX?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sixstring, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sixstring

I expect that Physx will finally be enabeled with PU03 around the time of the PS4 version's release not long after Hossin next month. So do you think the PS4 will use PhysX? tbh the game feels kinda bare bones without it and they have been "cranking" for a long time so I'm sure they would've implemented it. But as far as the PS4 ports impressions in general (most of the videos being fake and not offical) we can't really get a good idea of what to expect. That and any time it comes up everybody who SHOULD know something about the game gets all nervous or blows it off. Especially Tramell Isaac and Higby who act like they are hiding something whenever the port is mentioned they get all nervous and "praise" the idea without actually praising it,in fact they don't seem very confident at all. Almost like when they were selling the game the first time around,Higby starts acting real sketchy and studdering while T Ray just throws out insults until you leave him alone and drop the topic. Almost like they wanna say "Yeah it's not what people are expecting but we can't say that and we're sure as heck not gonna show you anything,so let's just ignore it." Also I've noticed Higby blatantly downplays the idea especially as the release date approaches. He went from "It's gonna be AMAZING!" to "It'll be good enough on PS4." and in his last interview he practically said "Meh I guess technically you will be able to "play" on PS4."

I'm having fun on PC but I need a controller. For now I just use a Gamepad/mouse combo

PS: I posted this in "off topic discussions" but that's pretty much a wasteland so I picked the next most relevant category and reposted.

2. SuperMedicated

AFAIK physx is nvidia's tech, and the ps4 uses a radeon GPU, unless they make physx be.processed on the CPU, and even then it would be a waste, so probably no
  3. SpcFarlen

Physics is a load of garbage, to put it bluntly. All it does is add particle effects into the game, eye candy so to speak. It does not actually accelerate or help the ingame physics engine that handle rag dolls, movement, debris (that actually has collision), or anything like that.

You can run Physx on any system, but it has to be ran through your CPU if you dont have a Nvidia GPU which is problematic in any game that puts heavy strain on the CPU like we all know PS2 does. So its jsut not worth it, especially on a console where you are trying to make sure simple game mechanics dont bring you below 30fps yet alone superfluous eye candy that doesnt matter.

ps. I remember when they announced PhysX years ago, its been a long time, and it looked like it was going to be so much more. It never was.
  4. Nasher

The "next gen" consoles are barely enough to run games at 1080 with reduced detail. They would have a meltdown if you threw physx in there as well.
  5. kadney

The XBox One and the PS4 contain AMD Hardware and since PhysX is an proprietary NVidia feature, no.
  6. Sixstring

Yeah I know the PS4 doesn't use a nvidia GPU but then I found this article Nvidia Announces PhysX Support for PlayStation 4 - IGN. So I guess technically they could use PhysX even if it's a modified version with plenty of "optimization". I guess I'm just wondering if it CAN be in the game WILL they use it or will they just sacrifice it for better,more consistent performance? They haven't really said ANYTHING and that's usually a bad sign. I really want this game to be successful but I plan on fully converting to the PS4 once that version is released and I would have already bought station cash however Higby confirmed we can't port our stuff between the platforms so I'll just save my money until I can appreciate anything I do buy with decent graphics.
  7. SuperMedicated

Yeah it will probably be on the CPU, but if the ps4 has 8 cores and considering the probability of the devs making the game use all of them, I do see room for physx, still I don't think they are going to do that.
  8. Sixstring

Yeah I know it's just for flash but I still wouldn't mind having it in if it's an option. They already said they are working to improve the physics of vehicles (infantry physics and cliffs/hills in general could use a major touch up while they're at it) so anything related to the collision or gravitational aspects of the game will be handled with general updates. Something like PhysX on the other hand either will be in the game on release or it probably won't be in at all since it's not necessary for the game to function and will only use up system resources which are admittedly "limited" on the PS4 but I'm still gonna play it especially if it is more stable.
  9. HellasVagabond

Yes, because PS2 is such an eye-candy game that we can certainly dismiss the extra one by PhysX.....
  10. SpcFarlen

Except we dont even have PhysX in game because it causes crashes and instability since its partially incompatible with the engine it runs off on. You sacrifice far too much compute power to get tree bark flying when a bullet nicks foliage. Yes i am aware PS2 doesnt have the most visual fatality of any AAA tittle these days but you can add these features into the games engine itself where the developers do have access down to the code to actually make changes, improve performance of it and have greater control over what it can effect.

The Frostbite engine doesnt use PHysX at all for its rubble and particle physics (or to any extent even), its all built into the engine. That way they could integrate into game mechanics rather than having Y% of X% of Nvidia users get a more "realistic experience. PhysX is just a seeling point for Nvdia. They send a small dev team to incorporate it into the game. The game gets some free marketing.

TLDR: Develop it into the game engine itself.
  11. HellasVagabond

Havok and Mantle are AMD marketing picthes, so what ? This is the market now, we can't change it so since we do need to go with the flow i really hope SOE can embed PhysX in PS2 succesfully some day.
  12. Phaere

Havok is owned by Intel, so calling it AMD marketing is a bit... wrong.
  13. Roland2TowerCame

PhysX can run on the cpu.
  14. Roland2TowerCame

What's really ironic is that the unified memory would actually allow PhysX on the gpu to process game-relevant collidable objects instead of just eye-candy, particles, and newspapers at batman's feet.
  15. BadAsElite

Was really a lost cause when SOE wasted all that time and effort implementing PhysX into the game when their next gen console runs on AMD Graphics cards rather then Nvidia GPU's.

Would be cool if SOE 180's and does mantle though (Could help on massive fights). ;)
  16. HellasVagabond

AMD used to support Havok that's why i mentioned it, the who holds the patents is irrelevant.